Fighting, well, self defence

13»

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    ben@31 wrote:
    If I did it now, it would be kickboxing. I did some sparring for a little while with a friend of mine (who is now doing his Purple in a certain style of Kung Fu). 1 minute of combinations in intervals and your fooked, big time. I did not realise how fit you have to be to box or kick box. You also learn to hit and get hit and still keep your head.

I knew some guys who do boxing. They all said the same as you, how it requires a surprising amount of cardio fitness. One guy said, boxing was that knackering, it hurt less being punched in the face than keeping his arms up.

Did you see that thing on TV where Stephen Fry did a bit of boxing and he said the same. It was more tiring throwing punches than just taking the punishment. It sure is a hard sport.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    MattC59 wrote:
    If you can't diffuse the situation or get away, and absolutely have to fight, then go for the shock and awe approach. Go in as hard and fast as you can with everything you've got. Then get out as quickly as possible.

Some years ago, four lads tried to mug me. there was a wall to my left two guys in front, one to my right and one behind. The threats started, so rather than hit the guy who was doing all the talking, I hit the guy to my right as hard as I could, square on the nose. He wasn't expecting it and went down like a sack of sh*t, leaving me a gap to make my escape. One punch, and I'd put several meters between me and them, enough to get into a more public place.
    A friend of mine who does a martial art (I'm not sure which one), said that in a situation where you're backed up,
    it may be a good idea to distract the assailant; for example, spitting on their stomach/arm. The natural reaction is
    to look at the spit. Once that person does so, you have to instinctively follow in with everything.

Another thing he said to do would be to kick the assailant as hard as possible on the shin. Once the assailant
    reacts to the pain, follow through with everything.

On the one occasion in recent years where someone has made a grab for me, I automatically grabbed his wrist
    and bit as hard as I could on one of his fingers (drawing blood). Once he screamed "stop it" I knew he was no
    longer a threat. Mind you, he could have landed a haymaker with his other hand and sparked me out.
  • Out of curiosity, all this talk of fighting and running: is it with or without bike and cycling shoes?
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I agree that it's very different in the real world than in a self defense class in a gym.

However, there are times when a little knowledge can be very useful.

Classic case was as a pub manager, a couple of times I had my arm grabbed. Being able to immediately, and I think crucially, effortlessly, break free from the hold, makes the person doing the grabbing suddenly re-assess the situiation. It also puts you in the position of being able to either dance a couple of steps back, or lead with an elbow to the throat/chin depending on how big a threat you are under. (The two times I used it in real life, I stepped back. :) )

Another case would be if you were grabbed from behind, the classic arm round the throat. If you had no training at all, the chances are that you would just grab the attackers arm and try to pull it off. Pretty much impossible.
    If you had had any training at all, there is a chance that you would move your body to one side, deliver 3 HARD blows with the forearm/wrist to the attackers groin them immediately pull away. Far more likely to work.

In a case where you have to fight, something I haven't had to do for 35 years, the general idea of going for the throat/eyes/nose/groin, hard, and with no mercy, still holds true. Guys are very quick to defend the groin though, so if far enough back to kick, go for their knee, if closer in use your own knee.

Running away/talking your way out of it is still the best bet. :D

Andy
  • MattC59 wrote:
    If you can't diffuse the situation or get away, and absolutely have to fight, then go for the shock and awe approach. Go in as hard and fast as you can with everything you've got. Then get out as quickly as possible.

Some years ago, four lads tried to mug me. there was a wall to my left two guys in front, one to my right and one behind. The threats started, so rather than hit the guy who was doing all the talking, I hit the guy to my right as hard as I could, square on the nose. He wasn't expecting it and went down like a sack of sh*t, leaving me a gap to make my escape. One punch, and I'd put several meters between me and them, enough to get into a more public place.

Very similar thing happened to me. Gobby guy in front was mouthing off at me, so I turned and belted the guy next to him as hard as I could. I jumped through the gap and legged it. Never looked back for a very long time.

(I was learning Taekwondo at the time and this was no help at all :wink: thinking dirty and being scared shitless helped loads. Mind you, I did spar with Wing chun guys a lot back then and that WAS evil)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Four pages and this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGL_vNtelrM

Rob
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Four pages and this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGL_vNtelrM

Rob
    :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    If you have to fight, the general consensus seems to be going in hard with all you've got.

If I end up killing someone, can I apportion some if the blame on you guys please?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn wrote:
    If you have to fight, the general consensus seems to be going in hard with all you've got.

If I end up killing someone, can I apportion some if the blame on you guys please?

You won't need to. Despite popular misconceptions, the law is on your side. You can hit first if you believe you are under threat. You won't get in trouble even if you turn out to be wrong. You aren't expected to moderate the level of force used. Provided you escape from the situation as soon as possible, rather than filling the KO'd attacker in whilst he's defenceless on the floor, then you will be fine.
  • http://kubotan.co.uk/

that is all you need!

i spent a while in close protection security, the scroates have no chance!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I think all this talk of running away is not answering the original question.
    perhaps he lives in wales , or some other extremely hilly place where escape is impossible.
    When I was allowed out into society I soon realised that the only strategy I had been taught was to kill my assailant instantly. This makes one very unpopular, even when it's not really your fault.
    so it was a great relief to be introduced to this traditional welsh school:

http://www.llapgoch.org.uk/
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    priory wrote:
    I think all this talk of running away is not answering the original question.
    perhaps he lives in wales , or some other extremely hilly place where escape is impossible.
    When I was allowed out into society I soon realised that the only strategy I had been taught was to kill my assailant instantly. This makes one very unpopular, even when it's not really your fault.
    so it was a great relief to be introduced to this traditional welsh school:

http://www.llapgoch.org.uk/

Ha. Have you sent off?