Gym training

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
Random question. I know there is loads of benefit about gym training.

I read a tweet by a pro yesterday (think it was Kittel) that they did a 5 hour ride, then spent some time in the gym.

What would they be doing in the gym after a 5 hour ride?!

Just stretching? Core work? I assume they cant be doing any weights or leg exercises?
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Perving on the sexy ladies no doubt
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    depends on the intensity of the ride tho - 5hrs sounds like a long un for pro training so probably a conditioning ride, the gym session probably would be some upper body work and then a big massage and a lot of stretching as you say

and admiring the view of course!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • squats, leg press, extensions would be my guess :)
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    From Kittel's twitter:A9-9LkzCAAA2fGF.jpg
  • Ankles raised, tut tut Kittel.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ankles raised, tut tut Kittel.
    Yeah - and his thighs aren't parallel with the floor either :roll:
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    They would undoubtedly work on their core strength and proprioception as well as building the strength of their quadriceps. Look at their legs. Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling? Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

They'll do a number of different squats and also work on their calfs (gastroc). And yes, I could imagine they have massage frequently due to being in the saddle 5hrs a day.
  • Gabbo wrote:
    Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling?
    Well if vanity is a consideration, then I suppose this matters.
    Gabbo wrote:
    Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling?
    Yes, I do in fact believe this.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling?

Er yes- You've clearly never done high gear climbing repeats.
  • Herbsman
    Gabbo wrote:
    Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.
    No, you're right. In fact, did you know strength athletes increase the maximum amount of weight they can lift by doing aerobic exercise such as cycling?

Also, boxers improve their punching power by swimming regularly.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Gabbo wrote:
    Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.

:roll:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Gabbo wrote:
    Look at their legs. Do you think you can have perfectly sculpted legs just from cycling? Do you think cyclists can generate the amount of power they do just from cycling? Of course not.
    Hi Gabbo,

I wouldn't say that professional road cyclists often have perfectly sculpted legs. Some are more muscular than others and some are slightly leaner than others, as athletes go they vary quite a bit.

Despite what many think they usually do not have a great deal of muscle mass in the legs and it is the combination of low body fat, often with small joints, light upper bodies and even suntanned skin that will give the impression of muscular legs. They rarely have strong legs either - which is not to say that they are not capable of producing a great deal of power aerobically, this is the "strength" of a road cyclist.
    Gabbo wrote:
    They'll do a number of different squats and also work on their calfs (gastroc).
    Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others. With appropriate use of a powermeter this can be clearly seen with time, although it will take some longer than others.

What matters in cycling is having the weight low and the power high. Because adding muscle from gym training will add to body weight and reduce aerobic power you can see this is exactly what you want to avoid.

Murr X
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Murr X wrote:
    Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others.

Are you on about just weight training in a gym? As I can imagine a cyclist would get a lot of gains from cardio vascular training in a gym, such as a higher VO2 Max (physical fitness) and lactate threshold (exercise intensity).
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    ben@31 wrote:
    Murr X wrote:
    Gym work just does not transfer into gains for road cycling well at all for reasons explained in detail many times on this forum by myself and others.

Are you on about just weight training in a gym? As I can imagine a cyclist would get a lot of gains from cardio vascular training in a gym, such as a higher VO2 Max (physical fitness) and lactate threshold (exercise intensity).

Why would you use daft equipment in a gym to improve your fitness and not ride a bike instead? You could be great on the rowing machines (or whatever) but still be a sh!t cyclist.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Gabbo wrote:

If you're planning on riding for longer than a minute (at race speeds) you'd be better concentrating on improving your 'aerobic metabolism' - having 'strong' legs above all else, won't help you do a sub-1 hour 25 or sub-2 hour 50 - spending years improving/fine-tuning your metabolism (on the Road/turbo) is a much better use of time.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    amaferanga wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    Murr X wrote:

Why would you use daft equipment in a gym to improve your fitness and not ride a bike instead? You could be great on the rowing machines (or whatever) but still be a sh!t cyclist.

I have been combining it with riding recently since the dark cold nights have roled in. If you keep the winter training going and then combine it with cv and core work in the gym I reckon it will make a difference.
    Last year I did nothing if the weather was bad, as I didn't have a turbo and would end up only riding once or twice a week, but this year am managing 6 days a week training for 12 or 14 hrs. It feels like its helping.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    amaferanga wrote:

You've already answered your own question... Using the gym to improve your fitness. If done properly, a solid interval training session on an inclined treadmill is better than sat at home. On some days, going out on the bike isn't a realistic option.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Herbsman
    ben@31 wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

You've already answered your own question... Using the gym to improve your fitness. If done properly, a solid interval training session on an inclined treadmill is better than sat at home. On some days, going out on the bike isn't a realistic option.
    I think you have missed the point slightly...

Going to the gym may be a better option than being sat at home (in fact most things are better than being sat down anywhere) - I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's all well and good improving your fitness just for the sake of it, but the point is that doing exercises that aren't bike riding will probably not improve your bike riding fitness.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Herbsman wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

I think you have missed the point slightly...

Going to the gym may be a better option than being sat at home (in fact most things are better than being sat down anywhere) - I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's all well and good improving your fitness just for the sake of it, but the point is that doing exercises that aren't bike riding will probably not improve your bike riding fitness.

Its better than being stood somewhere though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Oh God I'm loathe to recommend this, but Lance Armstrong has some good vids on youtube and resistance training. In fact if you ignore the emotive subject and concentrate on the actual gym work, they are very good and give a great insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXOvz2MzpPc

They may be others but I haven't really looked for a while.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • He then had to go to a lot of trouble to undo that work when he made his return to pro cycling.
  • Herbsman
    Didn't it increase his weight?