Andy Schleck Interview

13»

Comments

• I do have concerns. Frank was the one who cracked the whip with Andy's traninig IIRC.

He can still do that, can't he? Even if he is banned.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Yeah, we can all celebrate Andy's glorious victory in 2010, even if he will not.

Explaining away his tactical bankruptcy in 2011 is a different story though. That was his race to win and he blew it.

For all the talent he has (I think he is talented), he may end up being remembered as a swivel headed, chain dropping, detached, bridesmaid.

He is no Bradley Wiggins...a stage racer who wins stage races.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'd be pretty sure that if Contador and Andy turn up to a GT together they will work together and turn the heat onto Sky, having fun in the process.

Frenchie, I hate to break this to you but generally winners ride to win, not to have a general hoot and laugh. Not really the top priority.

Let's trust no more dropped chain incidents, eh?

I hate to break it to you but you are not correct in this one. Yes they ride to win but there are some (the two above, especially Contador), who are very aware of the fans and do actually ride aggressively even when it isn't technically necessary.

What? Frenchie you re moving to new levels of delusion now - Come back buddy! Come back!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    I do have concerns. Frank was the one who cracked the whip with Andy's traninig IIRC.

He can still do that, can't he? Even if he is banned.

I guess so.

He can do the drug running too .
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    But an on form Andy makes for a better race - especially if Contador is there too. The two of them could easily make life difficult for the 'sky' train and we'd have a just-the-favourites selection much sooner.
    Maybe they'll track stand whilst in a stare down, meanwhile Sky get 5 minutes having passed by without either of them noticing.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    S'funny. He gets alot of stick on this forum,

And the stick is spot on. He's been whining about how;

- Hilly finishes don't suit him
    - Descends don't suit him
    - TT's are his 'weakness'
    - TTT's are his 'weakness'
    - Cat. 2 mountains don't suit him
    - He can't sprint
    - Plateau De Beille(7,9%) was too soft and didn't really suit him
    - He's not happy about small roads
    - Bad weather is not really his 'thing'
    - He can't change gears
    - He's lazy

That said, he can still make a race entertaining and I hope he delivers this season and cuts the crap out. Tired of his excuses. That injury this season was never as serious as we were told. He just couldn't be arsed to do what was expected of him. Was it Andy without juice we saw last year?
  • ThomThom wrote:
    And the stick is spot on. He's been whining about how;

- Hilly finishes don't suit him
    - Descends don't suit him
    - TT's are his 'weakness'
    - TTT's are his 'weakness'
    - Cat. 2 mountains don't suit him
    - He can't sprint
    - Plateau De Beille(7,9%) was too soft and didn't really suit him
    - He's not happy about small roads
    - Bad weather is not really his 'thing'
    - He can't change gears
    - He's lazy

That said, he can still make a race entertaining and I hope he delivers this season and cuts the crap out. Tired of his excuses. That injury this season was never as serious as we were told. He just couldn't be arsed to do what was expected of him. Was it Andy without juice we saw last year?

Well, he isn't very good at alot of the things on your list, so I would suggest he's being honest. But I do find it very hard to believe he's been whining that he can't change gear or that he's lazy.
  • thomthom
    You know what I mean with the last two, though..
  • Well, for someone who doesn't like hilly finishes, descents, TTs, TTTs, Cat. 2 mountains, small roads, bad weather, changing gears and who is lazy, he's doing well to have won the Tour, Liege and the Feche de Sud.
  • thomthom
    edited December 2012
    Yeh, you'd almost think he was on the same as his brother which he spends 99% of his time with..

Remember; He's the one mentioning his own weaknesses. Not me.
  • Looking through my photos tagged with Schleck (both), there are a huge number of them attacking. They can't be faulted on that for the few races they race in.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    dougzz wrote:
    But an on form Andy makes for a better race - especially if Contador is there too. The two of them could easily make life difficult for the 'sky' train and we'd have a just-the-favourites selection much sooner.
    Maybe they'll track stand whilst in a stare down, meanwhile Sky get 5 minutes having passed by without either of them noticing.

That finish was more excited from a GC perspective than all the MTF finishes in this year's Tour combined.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It was brilliant that wasnt it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Remember; He's the one mentioning his own weaknesses. Not me.

Err, hold on. When did he ever say he was lazy or that he couldn't change gear. Also suggesting that a climb or a finish didn't suit him isn't the same as naming it as a weakness.

I think we can all agree (including Andy) that he isn't very good at time trialing and that he doesn't like taking risks on descents or in the wet (which I've already pointed out probably has alot to do with Wouter Weylant). But I think that makes his presence at a race more interesting. He HAS to attack to make up the time he's lost elsewhere. And I don't think he has too bad a sprint for a climber.

I think next year's race will be better for him being there.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    iainf72 wrote:
    On_What wrote:
    Either way he can't ride without looking backwards. Doesn't register as a GC contendor

Tour de France winner doesn't register as contender? Tough crowd

Point I'm trying to make is that he is "bigger up" as someone to watch but in reality has never done much bar looking around! If he can recreate his form from a good few years ago then he may win me over, though tough now that big bro has been found out as a junkie :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    On_What wrote:
    Point I'm trying to make is that he is "bigger up" as someone to watch but in reality has never done much bar looking around! If he can recreate his form from a good few years ago then he may win me over, though tough now that big bro has been found out as a junkie :wink:
    Well the point you're trying to make doesn't match up to the facts. TdF winner, several runner up spots, a LBL. No one is responsible for their family.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    More schleck;

http://cyclingnews.com/news/cycling-has-already-changed-says-schleck

On Sky's zero tolerance;
    “It’s their decision, but a guy like Bobby Julich, who admitted to using EPO but changed his attitude afterwards, should not be disowned. I know him for a long time. At Saxo Bank, he helped me a lot and he was one of the cleanest on the team. Everybody has the right to a second chance. Look at David Millar: he tested positive for EPO and today he does a lot for anti-doping.”

I'm guessing that bit is just a poor translation :lol:
  • thomthom
    It is, yes. There's a different article somewhere, vnews, I guess, without that quote.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    squireelpie wrote...
    How is attacking someone who has dropped there chain worse than doping?

but I assume he was joking?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    espe_janvier_2013.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    My French isn't up to that post FF.

Google translate says bassin tout neuf = brand new pool.

I don't get it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Bassin also means pelvis.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Looking through my photos tagged with Schleck (both), there are a huge number of them attacking. They can't be faulted on that for the few races they race in.

but how many are of them winning?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • interesting take from Jens on Andy S and where he's at mentally and physically

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ro ... rid%20tour