First long distance bike ride (260 miles in 2 days)

goneplatinum
goneplatinum Posts: 3
Hi guys,

A friend and I are planning doing our first long distance ride as part of a charity event at the end of January. Basically, we have 36 hours (starting at 9am) to get as far away from Cambridge as possible.
We were hoping to make it to York (or reasonably near) on day 1, and to Newcastle on day 2. This works out at around 260 miles.

We've both been doing about 3x 30 mile rides per week for the last month or so, but are looking to ramp the distance up a bit to help us achieve our goal. Yesterdays ride was 40 miles (through the Peak District).

Therefore, my horribly broad question is: what sort of training should we be doing? I've got a turbo trainer on order from CRC, which will hopefully help.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Saddle time basically.
  • Less frequent long rides > frequent short/turbo sessions?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,909
    I think you'll need to know how well your body copes with being in the saddle for what could seem like endless hours, particularly given that it's going to be coldish, and possibly wet. As JGSI says, saddle time. I wouldn't worry about intensity, as you'll really need to concentrate at finding a steady pace you can maintain for up to 10 hours each day.

At a bare minimum, I think you should know how you cope with 100 miles in a day before you set off.
  • Might be worth asking in the 'AUDAX' section also :wink:
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Was going to ask a similar question, sorry not hijacking! but was approached to do a charity ride in june for cancer research, 200 miles over 24 hrs.

Currently i road bike about 20miles at a time and tbh no pain quite leisurely round where i live, i ride off road mtb at least once a week (not so much in the winter) again about 20 miles, my current bike is a hybrid so i know i will have to get a proper road bike for the job, but training when i should i start? and what sort of training, really dont want to let down the other guys, amd on the other hand really don't want to kill myself ethier!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Make sure your bike fits

Do a large amount of winter miles - actually, it's a bit late for this. The guy going in July could though.

Work out what stuff you must eat and drink to keep going

It's only a month to the end of January so training as such isn't possible. Your backside will hurt. I suggest sudocreme.

I do these long rides all the time. But in the winter it's not much fun if the weather is terrible.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The above is all good advice. I'd definitely recommend trying a long ride before the real thing to get some experience to ensure you're prepared, rather than set out on the charity ride and have to abandon because of a basic oversight. My first couple of long rides were marred by me not understanding how to eat and drink to ensure I had enough energy to keep going. I also realised that my saddle was very uncomfortable and that chamois cream is a must.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.