13»

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Ooooo, lucky boy. Bet you'll have a happy Xmas now :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Update on this ...........

...So would like to say thanks to the local who saved our bacon, thank our lucky stars that we're not facing court for improperly secured load or worse, and thank goodness that we can still feel superior to the people who reacted to our insouciance and self-justification despite our evident culpability
    FTFY :roll:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    dodgy wrote:
    +1
    He was carrying bicycles, not 15 ton JCBs

Take a chain ring, throw it at someone at 70mph, what do you think the outcome is likely to be?
    Laminate windscreens are not 100% inpenetrable, convertibles... well... Motorbikes, oh god.

Anyhow...

Some bike carriers are utter baws in design, 30+ kg of bikes being held to a car with the tension in 4 nylon bands with tiny hooks that cling onto body work, hm right then.

Also reads that the weather conditions were utter shit as well, so could easily have unwittingly overloaded the structure without even realising there was a risk.

Good to hear you were lucky enough to get the bike back however they were attached and in enough pieces to recover it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • So would like to say thanks to the few posters who wished us well and to say UP YOURS to the holier than thou assholes who told us so for our school boy error.

And people wonder where the attitude of cyclists comes from ;)
    We will learn from this and move on.

Somehow I doubt this - your whole attitude was that it was all someone else fault and you were blameless so a change is fairly unlikely.
  • Tiredofwhiners.Dont think the OP said it was anybodys fault bar our own.

Then again im not really surprised by your attitude as your previous posts on this suggest you have a real issue with this for some reason.
    Thankfully nobody was hurt,we never caused any accidents and our bikes are ok.Lesson learnt on our part and we will move forward and enjoy our riding again.
    After 5 days the police said that it was theft as we'd identified where the bikes came off after what we found,and as someone had picked them up off the roadside and not reported it.We found out yesterday that the bloke who found the bikes had rang the police on Saturday and due to an 'admin error' we where only told yesterday!

As for your previous comment on 'discarding scrap metal on the road',2 of the bikes are full carbon frames anyway!!!

:roll: Some people!
  • So would like to say thanks to the few posters who wished us well and to say UP YOURS to the holier than thou assholes who told us so for our school boy error.

And people wonder where the attitude of cyclists comes from ;)

Yes, its evident in a lot of your previous posts. Move on fella, we have.
    Scott Addict R3
    Boardman CX 2014
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    2 full carbon bikes that have bounced down the road at what - 50 or 60mph ? I think I'd be using them on the turbo and nothing else.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    2 full carbon bikes that have bounced down the road at what - 50 or 60mph ? I think I'd be using them on the turbo and nothing else.

Really? How much strain will the frames have undergone bouncing only with their own weight compared to the strain of being ridden daily along our ptoholed roads with a person on them? I'd be having them checked out but I wouldn't write them off for the fun of it - and if I was worried enough to write them off I'd be having my frame checked every 6 weeks even without any incidents of note!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for your concern ref the frames.
    Yes have already been in touch with LBS and taking them in to be checked over.Owner of LBS has said he will more than likely send them to the manufacturer to be xrayed.
  • cougie
    Rolf F wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Really? How much strain will the frames have undergone bouncing only with their own weight compared to the strain of being ridden daily along our ptoholed roads with a person on them? I'd be having them checked out but I wouldn't write them off for the fun of it - and if I was worried enough to write them off I'd be having my frame checked every 6 weeks even without any incidents of note!

Carbon bikes are designed to be ridden. They'll do thousands of miles no problem at all on the roads. But bouncing down the road at high speed ? That's a completely different kettle of fish.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Carbon bikes are designed to be ridden. They'll do thousands of miles no problem at all on the roads. But bouncing down the road at high speed ? That's a completely different kettle of fish.

It's still likely to be a much lighter stress than they have to put up with when ridden (speed isn't really that much of an issue as it isn't necessarily much faster than you might ride anyway - I've got over 50mph on a bike) and the OP is getting them checked anyway. However you look at it, bikes cope with 10 times their own weight sat on them over 10s of thousands of miles. A few bounces down the road without that huge weight on them wouldn't make me write a frame off without checking it out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That argument is almost completely irrelevant. Bike frames are engineered to take load in very particular directions (e.g. along the forks/stays to support rider weight), not taking bashes all over the place. I know my bike could take a rider several times my weight sitting on it properly, but certainly wouldn't take me standing on the side of the forks or stays.
  • Heehee, forum gold. Planks lose bikes off back of car, stark bleating about theft and some good soul finds them and gives them back. Then they start having goes because they posted on here to open it up to anyone and shcok :shock: Horror :evil: they get reactions..........

Gald you got your bikes back fellas but FFS don't come on here expecting everyone to fall at your feet with understanding, you could have fcked up someone badly by your mistake, what if it the 3 bikes joined had hit another cyclist ? Ironic would'nt even cover it.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • cougie
    Rolf - the stresses of a rider on a bike are completely different from a bike cartwheeling along the tarmac. Was it on here where we had the story of the guy taking a photo of his Colnago in his garden ? He propped it up by a pedal and it fell over and broke a chainstay on the rockery. That was an unfortunate fall but from zero mph.

I'd certainly not be riding my carbon bike at speed until the checks had come back clear.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cougie wrote:
    Rolf - the stresses of a rider on a bike are completely different from a bike cartwheeling along the tarmac. Was it on here where we had the story of the guy taking a photo of his Colnago in his garden ? He propped it up by a pedal and it fell over and broke a chainstay on the rockery. That was an unfortunate fall but from zero mph.

I'd certainly not be riding my carbon bike at speed until the checks had come back clear.

I'd have thought that any damage from bouncing down the road would be pretty obvious. If there're no scratches or marks on the frame then it's hard to see how the frame could be damaged.
    More problems but still living....
  • dmclite.....Not expecting people to fall at our feet at all.My last post on this-no accidents caused,no people hurt,thankfully,lesson has been learnt and weve moved on.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    lesson has been learnt and weve moved on.

You sure you've got everything? :wink: