Yorkshire 2014

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
TDF to start in Leeds in 2014 apparently - 3 stages finishing in that London.

DDD please stay out of Richmond Park that day ;)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/yorkshi ... 2014-start
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fabulous. So much better than that ludicrous mini Tour of Britain bid. Can't wait!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nice that its on your doorstop Rolf.

At least us London types wont be completly left out.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Sod Richmond bloody Park.

Yorkshire??? Wow. Just. Wow.

TDF going over the moors? That would be an epic day to watch
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    TDF to start in Leeds in 2014 apparently - 3 stages finishing in that London.

DDD please stay out of Richmond Park that day ;)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/yorkshi ... 2014-start

DDD and Optimus prime, please stay out of Richmond Park....
  • I wish to register that le Tour should now be officially renamed to The Tour t' France 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    might be useful Yorkshire translation to some

also stay out of local pubs... "we dont like strangers around 'ere" *waves pitch forks*
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • email from my mate:
    I’m in.

Now, where is my mankini...I’ll have to dust it down for 2014 and tan up my crotch.

:shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wish to register that le Tour should now be officially renamed to The Tour t' France 8)
    T'tour ot that Frence, surely?
  • CiB wrote:
    I wish to register that le Tour should now be officially renamed to The Tour t' France 8)

More like: "Eee. Tour? Call that a Tour? These riders, soft as sh!te they are these days. When I were a lad, we used to ride twice tha' distance, and we didn't take three weeks to do it, neither. A day! That's as long as we 'ad. And we 'ad a full day's werk down t'mine after. And then anuther full day's werk at t'mill after tha'. AND we 'ad t'ride same distance 'ohm after. An' tha' were with a bike with NO WHEELS! And no saddle, an' no 'andlebars neither. Don't know they're born, these "Tour" riders..."

Etc, etc, etc...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Good news! I missed the Olympic road race so I won't be missing this!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB wrote:

I asked my Sheffield based mate (stood in the Rotherham by-election btw... more than once) and he said "don't forget you don't SAY the t', it's more of a glottal stop.

So it would actually be:

. .our . France :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Wi don't talk like those sheffield types up ere...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    It's such a relief that the UK will be able to showcase the city of Leeds to the world, rather than Edinburgh.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Be interesting to know the route in Leeds I could predict a few security/safety issues :lol:
    Otherwise being new to watching TDF, not quite sure why it's starting in Yorkshire :?
    Can't it just be "tour o'dales" then them ruddy southerners have their day blockading the capital city
    before beggaring off to do the actual TDF, I mean if a Korean won would they start it from there?
    Whinge over, suppose it would be nice to see something this big happening locally though
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It's such a relief that the UK will be able to showcase the city of Leeds to the world, rather than Edinburgh.

Agreed, no need to advertise the smackhead capital of the UK.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I asked my Sheffield based mate (stood in the Rotherham by-election btw... more than once) and he said "don't forget you don't SAY the t', it's more of a glottal stop.

So it would actually be:

. .our . France :lol:
    Indeed. Clarkson has made the same point, that the t isn't sounded. And my in-laws are from the north (eee the poor mites) so we get a lot of it.

Yorkshire then? That'll be worth a trip up the motorway then; it might even passs near to us doon here if it's wending its way to London. Sorry - that there Lunnun.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    bushu wrote:
    Be interesting to know the route in Leeds I could predict a few security/safety issues :lol:
    Otherwise being new to watching TDF, not quite sure why it's starting in Yorkshire :?
    Can't it just be "tour o'dales" then them ruddy southerners have their day blockading the capital city
    before beggaring off to do the actual TDF, I mean if a Korean won would they start it from there?
    Whinge over, suppose it would be nice to see something this big happening locally though

Its always started outside of france (well not always but there have been plenty of starts outside).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Great news. The 2007 TdF grand depart in London and the southeast was fantastic.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rubertoe wrote:
    bushu wrote:

Its always started outside of france (well not always but there have been plenty of starts outside).
    I read somewhere that the ASO aim was to start 2 of every 5 outside of France. Can't remember where now. May be bobbins.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bikes, BIKES? There's nowt wrong with Shanks' Pony.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    S' gonna be brill.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    ey up Doris, that thar pony 'as wheels, quick look. Ar ye daft git that was one o those fancy french horses, as they've eaten all the real ones luv..

'I've already got mi coyt'
  • tailwindhome
    CiB wrote:

More like: "Eee. Tour? Call that a Tour? These riders, soft as sh!te they are these days. When I were a lad, we used to ride twice tha' distance, and we didn't take three weeks to do it, neither. A day! That's as long as we 'ad. And we 'ad a full day's werk down t'mine after. And then anuther full day's werk at t'mill after tha'. AND we 'ad t'ride same distance 'ohm after. An' tha' were with a bike with NO WHEELS! And no saddle, an' no 'andlebars neither. Don't know they're born, these "Tour" riders..."

Etc, etc, etc...

So you heard Boycott on t'wireless then?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I can't wait! now it would be even better if it made its way through Pudsey and I can just watch from my front door :)
  • rolf_f

Do you not think that just possibly, just maybe Edinburgh already gets a teensy bit more than its fair share of showcasing and that maybe it might help occasionally to showcase other UK citys that are less well funded but rather nicer than peoples prejudices might assume? :wink:
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    mudcow007 wrote:
    might be useful Yorkshire translation to some

also stay out of local pubs... "we dont like strangers around 'ere" *waves pitch forks*
    I didn't realise some of those words needed translating as I use them regularly.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rolf F wrote:

Do you not think that just possibly, just maybe Edinburgh already gets a teensy bit more than its fair share of showcasing and that maybe it might help occasionally to showcase other UK citys that are less well funded but rather nicer than peoples prejudices might assume? :wink:

What Rolf said. It'll be grand, tha gret wazzerk!

And anyway, if it was to start in Scotland then I'd vote for Glasgow over Edinburgh...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

What Rolf said. It'll be grand, tha gret wazzerk!

And anyway, if it was to start in Scotland then I'd vote for Glasgow over Edinburgh...
    That's like saying, "No, lets not start the tour in Bath. Slough is much nicer."
  • rolf_f
    That's like saying, "No, lets not start the tour in Bath. Slough is much nicer."

Oooh, that's harsh! A bit fairer would be - let's not start the tour in Bath, Bristol is much nicer.

But anyway, that's not the point. The Tour goes to all sorts of places and not just the obvious ones. Half the point is that it showcases the less obvious. Besides, the trouble with attractive British cities is that they are all second rate compared to the good French ones. We have nothing that, for example, even comes close to Laon in terms of spectacular unspoiled gems and that's hardly one of the best known French cities.

In anycase, there's no difficulty in showing off Leeds as a nice city on the filming - it will look great.