Leg pain.

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
Sorry if this goes on a bit but over the past couple of months I have been getting a shooting pain on the outside of my right shin when riding my bike. This pain starts after about 1/2hr on the bike and if I change position ie sit up or hold the drops the pain will subside but then return a couple of minutes later. The pain can last for a couple of days after and if I try to train the next day it will be really sore. Recently the pain has also been in the front of my knee, thigh, hip and into my groin. When I get off the bike I can hardly lift my leg to take off my shoes and socks. I have tried to lift my leg with my knee bent at 90 degrees and this has helped a little but the pain is getting unbearable. I have changed to speedplay pedals from look pedals and it feels slightly better but not much. I cam off my mountain bike about 6-7 months ago and done something to the ligaments in my knee and shin I think as my shin and calf was bruised from the knee to the ankle and I did`nt hit my leg of anything but bent it back badly. Has anyone any suggestions as to what could be causing the pain and how to get rid of it.
Sorry for the long post.
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Seek medical advice.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    yup medical advice is only way. you can get an idea by researching the leg anatomy. But you need to pinpoint the pain and then research problems that relate to those muscles/tendons.

but get a good physio to look at it. Is your bike setup correct? saddle height, etc
  • Bike set up is great, had a retul fit done at the start of spring. Hate going to doctors!!.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Go to a private Physio they are far better than nhs
  • golfergmc wrote:
    Bike set up is great, had a retul fit done at the start of spring. Hate going to doctors!!.
    Don't ignore pain when riding. It's either positional, from over training, injury or medically related, and you need to nail down which, especially if medical.

If it's not injury/medical related, then speak with your fitter. What was the quality and experience of the fitter? Anyone worth their salt will work to resolve any fit problems. Retul is a fancy ruler and might just be accurately measuring a poor position. Did you change pedals after the fit? Going from Look to speedplay pedals requires a fair seat height adjustment at least, if not other changes as well.
  • see a doctor? Could be back trouble or false ischias - trapped nerve problem. Either way - get it checked!
  • golfergmc wrote:
    Bike set up is great, had a retul fit done at the start of spring. Hate going to doctors!!.
    Don't ignore pain when riding. It's either positional, from over training, injury or medically related, and you need to nail down which, especially if medical.

If it's not injury/medical related, then speak with your fitter. What was the quality and experience of the fitter? Anyone worth their salt will work to resolve any fit problems. Retul is a fancy ruler and might just be accurately measuring a poor position. Did you change pedals after the fit? Going from Look to speedplay pedals requires a fair seat height adjustment at least, if not other changes as well.
    The fitter was in my opinion good, as I have never had a fitting before I have nothing to judge it against but he would not let me go till both he and I were 100% happy.
    I did change the pedals after the fitting so I will adjust the seat height according to the retul fitting, what other changes would I have to make?
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    did you manage to find out where pain was coming from exactly?
  • Not had a chance to do anything yet as busy weekend and then not getting home from work till 2am. I was talking to my lbs who said to try stretching, so stretching and foam roller time now.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Forget going to see a physio, though they could diagnose problem, go see ortho doctor, you said your leg went backward, this can damage cruciate ligaments which can give lots of problems.
    Forget your fear of doctor !
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Get along to the docs mate, i had a similiar pain to yours a few years ago. It turned out that i had to inverted discs in my lower back that trapped the nerve in my back and that in turn caused me serious pain in my upper and lower leg. All downhill from there though, they found out that the back problem was due to a hip injury i had when i was 16 and now i need a new one.

Don't fear the Docs, they're there for a reason.
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Quick update.
    Finally got round to seeing someone about this and went to see a A.R.T practitioner today. He asked me a few questions about the pain etc. He then got me to lie in different positions and do exercises while he manipulated my leg. He then stretched my ITB and loosened m hamstring. After half an hour the session was over and my leg feels amazing, a lot looser, no pain and even feels lighter. I would not hesitate to recommend this type of treatment as it has worked wonders. Anyone in N.I who has an injury and is looking treatment drop me a pm and I'll pass on his info.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme