Optimal cadence

2»

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Is there an optimal cadence?

There is no set optimal cadence - everyone is different so it is rider specific, but does this perceived 'optimal' cadence enable a rider to produce their best possible power over a given distance or time? Would a looser less narrow more variable cadence range allow more average power?

Many riders find they can maintain more power outdoors than they can indoors on a turbo. One reason this might be is that outdoors it is impossible to hold your optimal or chosen cadence due to wind & undulations etc. Is the more variable cadence you are forced to use outdoors more effective than the more set cadence used on a turbo?

By constantly shifting cadence over & below what one perceives as the optimal cadence the rider can possibly average a greater power. This may be due to a slight shift in the emphasis of the systems used and or shifts in the muscle fiber use or even very slight changes in position.

It is also possible that there are micro rests outdoors which enable some riders to average more power.

Thanks for that insight trev. I think you're wrong again though.

Its harder to keep up power on a Turbo trainer as the resistance unit decelerates faster than you would decelerate if riding outdoors -> I'd describe the sensation of my Cylops Jet Fluid Pro as riding into a headwind.

Hence you have to put in a lot more micro accelerations to keep your cadence and leg momentum = more effort and less sustainable power.
    It was doing sessions trying out different cadences, I found I averaged a higher power doing tests where I was doing 2 minutes on 100, 2 minutes on 95, 2 minutes on 90, or 2 minutes on 80 then 2 minutes on 100 up to 105rpm.

Is self selection a factor?.. its biased as you are going into the test with the result in mind?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Tom Dean wrote:
    By constantly shifting cadence over & below what one perceives as the optimal cadence the rider can possibly average a greater power. This may be due to a slight shift in the emphasis of the systems used and or shifts in the muscle fiber use or even very slight changes in position.
    Will you provide some evidence for this, or just start another thread?

I used the words 'can possibly' and 'this may' so no I won't but if you want to provide some evidence to the contrary I would read it.
    Aww but you have subsequently tried to give some evidence haven't you?

torn between proving your point and trolling, it must be hard.
  • Is there an optimal cadence?

There is no set optimal cadence - everyone is different so it is rider specific, but does this perceived 'optimal' cadence enable a rider to produce their best possible power over a given distance or time? Would a looser less narrow more variable cadence range allow more average power?

Many riders find they can maintain more power outdoors than they can indoors on a turbo. One reason this might be is that outdoors it is impossible to hold your optimal or chosen cadence due to wind & undulations etc. Is the more variable cadence you are forced to use outdoors more effective than the more set cadence used on a turbo?

It is also possible that there are micro rests outdoors which enable some riders to average more power.

Thanks for that insight trev. I think you're wrong again though.

Its harder to keep up power on a Turbo trainer as the resistance unit decelerates faster than you would decelerate if riding outdoors -> I'd describe the sensation of my Cylops Jet Fluid Pro as riding into a headwind.

Hence you have to put in a lot more micro accelerations to keep your cadence and leg momentum = more effort and less sustainable power.
    It was doing sessions trying out different cadences, I found I averaged a higher power doing tests where I was doing 2 minutes on 100, 2 minutes on 95, 2 minutes on 90, or 2 minutes on 80 then 2 minutes on 100 up to 105rpm.

Is self selection a factor?.. its biased as you are going into the test with the result in mind?

I agree it is harder on a turbo, most riders find this. I do.

I have thought long and hard if the effect may be placebo. As I was trying to find what sort of cadence worked best for me and the higher average power was discovered during those tests (by accident) I doubt it was me trying harder to prove anything. At first anyway, once I thought I was on to something I could have affected the results. I can not discount placebo effect as I was aware at all times of the power and cadence.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Ever tried fishing Trev :?:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Got banned from Pike Fishing Forum for arguing that more than one rod should be banned and that carbon fibre rods should be banned. And that electronic sensors should be banned. Some blokes set up 4 rods and need a van to transport all their equipment. Dressed up like the bloody SAS sitting in tents & sleeping and cheating using little boats to deliver bait. No skill in it these days. Were you on timetrialling forum?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I guessed you've caught some Whoppers in your time
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    you need to ditch those flats Trev and get some clipless pedals.
    There's another 3 to 4% waiting to be had there.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Got banned from Pike Fishing Forum for arguing that more than one rod should be banned and that carbon fibre rods should be banned. And that electronic sensors should be banned. Some blokes set up 4 rods and need a van to transport all their equipment. Dressed up like the bloody SAS sitting in tents & sleeping and cheating using little boats to deliver bait. No skill in it these days. Were you on timetrialling forum?

Is there an optimal cadence for reeling in a fishing line?
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Is there an optimal cadence for reeling in a fishing line?

Depends on the weight of fish, the fatigue level of the fish, the strength of the line and the rod.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Fair play that actually made me laugh :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story