Are overshoes a must for winter?

2»

Comments

• Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    I wouldn't say they're essential. Just layer up on socks if it's temperature that's worrying you. If you don't like wet feet and prefer splashing the cash then I guess most will say it's worth it!
  • Overshoes? Best thing since chocolate Hobnobs. Yes, they are that good!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    overshoes were one of the first bits of specific cycling kit i purchased. can't imagine why anyone wouldn't invest in a set for the british nuclear winter.
  • Just in case anyone else is looking for large overshoes, after trying the XL Planet X neoprene, Pro New Classic neoprene XXXL and the Gore Softshell Windstoppers 48-50 I have settle on the Gore overshoes. They fit my Specialized Elite Touring size 49 shoe perfectly. They also feel a lot more comfortable as they aren't neoprene and the fold at the top of the tongue when you bend your leg forward isn't noticeable at all. Sorry, I can't think of a better way to explain that but I found it a bit irritating when trying on the other two neoprene ones.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    I don't really understand the use of Neoprene as a material for overshoes. One of it's characteristics is that it is NOT waterproof, hence it's use in wetsuits. It is designed to let water in and keep it in so that body temperature can hear the trapped water and provide a thermal layer. Putting them over cycling shoes in wet conditions may keep the shoes clean, but they will still get wet and without the direct contact with skin there is little/no heat benefit. The result is damp cycling shoes and feet, albeit drier than they would otherwise have been.

There have to be better solutions out there for keeping feet warm and dry in the winter?

It's 100% waterproof, hence its use in drysuits, seams taped properly and nothing is getting past it. A proper wetsuit is not designed to let water in, it only does so around it's poor seals and untaped seals.
    Are you serious??? Its in the name, WETsuit (c/w DRYsuits) :shock:
  • alfablue wrote:
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    I don't really understand the use of Neoprene as a material for overshoes. One of it's characteristics is that it is NOT waterproof, hence it's use in wetsuits. It is designed to let water in and keep it in so that body temperature can hear the trapped water and provide a thermal layer. Putting them over cycling shoes in wet conditions may keep the shoes clean, but they will still get wet and without the direct contact with skin there is little/no heat benefit. The result is damp cycling shoes and feet, albeit drier than they would otherwise have been.

There have to be better solutions out there for keeping feet warm and dry in the winter?

It's 100% waterproof, hence its use in drysuits, seams taped properly and nothing is getting past it. A proper wetsuit is not designed to let water in, it only does so around it's poor seals and untaped seals.
    Are you serious??? Its in the name, WETsuit (c/w DRYsuits) :shock:

Do you know what a drysuit is?
  • alfablue
    :lol: As an ocean going sailor I am fully aware of both items
  • alfablue wrote:

As a scuba diver ditto. Neoprene still remains waterproof.
  • alfablue
    Oh well, as long as you're happy ;-)
  • Very happy and very dry, try http://www.othree.co.uk/
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    No they are not essential.
    I went for these :
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3390&g=244603&p=59796&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Road%20Bike%20Shoes
    Why try and use £250 shoes which are designed to vent your feet to keep cool, then use them in winter and wonder why your feet are cold and get wet. Overshoes will let water in as they are not sealed underneath.
    For the sake of £112 compared to £30 for decent overshoes I went for winter shoes and keep sidis for summer :D the winter shoes are surprisingly comfy!
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Just going off on a bit of a tangent, I bought a pair of the Endura, velcro on thingies.
    These are very waterproof, and pretty damn warm :)

Unfortunately, thay are also falling to bits and I have had them about a month!
    I won't be buying another pair :evil:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have some Altura ones that are great, not waterproof but keep them warm...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alfablue
    I have Altura overshoes, but I now prefer Sealkinz socks; even on dry days they keep the wind out and toes warm, and a bit less faff than the overshoes.
  • alfablue
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

As a scuba diver ditto. Neoprene still remains waterproof.
    the inventor of the wet suit:
    In 1952, UC Berkeley and subsequent UC San Diego SIO physicist Hugh Bradner, who is considered to be the original inventor[8] and "father of the modern wetsuit,"[8] had the insight that a thin layer of trapped water could be tolerated between the suit fabric and the skin, so long as insulation was present in the fabric in the form of trapped bubbles. In this case, the water would quickly reach skin temperature and the air in the fabric would continue to act as the thermal insulation to keep it that way. The suit did not need to be dry to be insulative.

I think you are referring to a "semi-dry" suit, rather than true wet suits.