Are overshoes a must for winter?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I have some shoes, pedals and woolie boolie socks on my christmas list. I'm wondering if I need to order some overshoes now to avoid freezing, or just wait to see how warm my feet feel?

At the moment I just wear walking trainers, which are actually pretty good and my feet don't feel too bad, but they aren't as breathable as my new road shoes.

Comments

• Yeah, definitely. I'm warm enough in bib tights, base layer and L/S jersey in cold weather, but my feet get very cold. Mine are B'Twin 3 neoprene overshoes from Decathlon. £13. Keep my feet warm and dry. I'm only doing 20-25 miles at the minute. Maybe you'd need more expensive ones doing longer rides.
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    One of the best value bike purchases I've ever made! £10 from planet-x for their neoprene ones a few years ago and I've never looked back. No reason to get anything more extravagant.
  • rich164h wrote:
    One of the best value bike purchases I've ever made! £10 from planet-x for their neoprene ones a few years ago and I've never looked back. No reason to get anything more extravagant.

+1
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd say yes - but if you've not felt the need for them - maybe you don't need them anyway ? Unless you're avoiding the cold or only making really short journeys I'd say they were needed.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    No, you don't need anything more than craft toewarmers in my opinion. I cant bearsed with the faff of overshoes, and the toewarmers are just as good as my overshoes at keeping my feet warm.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Cheers for all the replies. I think for the sake of £10 I will order some planet x ones as they also go to size 13 which I need.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    okgo wrote:
    No, you don't need anything more than craft toewarmers in my opinion. I cant bearsed with the faff of overshoes, and the toewarmers are just as good as my overshoes at keeping my feet warm.

Keeping feet warm? They are for keeping shoes clean :D
  • I just checked the bundles at planet x and this one seems ideal as I could do with some warmer gloves and socks. All for £19.99!

Planet X Neoprene Overshoes
    Planet X Winter Cycling Gloves / Black
    SKull LED Bicycle Light / White LED / White Body
    SKull LED Bicycle Light / Red LED / Red Body
    Planet X Cotton Cycling Cap / One Size / Black
    On-One Thicky Merino Socks / Grey with Red and White Stripes
    On-One Thinny Merino Socks / Black with White Logo
    On-One Thinny Coolmax Socks / Black with Grey Logo

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLH ... mas_hamper
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to keep your shoes clean and your feet warm, they're essential
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Try taking a hot shower straight after riding in cold weather with just shoes. You will buy overshoes immediately :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rich164h wrote:

Errrrm, yes there is. There's no doubt that the PX ones are exceptional value but there are others out there that are warmer and more wateproof. Those both count as good reasons to get something more extravagent! :lol:
    okgo wrote:

You appear to be assuming that everyone has exceptional circulation. I sometimes need to use my PX overshoes in summer. I do have the Craft toewarmers but if I need anything, they aren't usually enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Oh yes. Especially for keeping your feet dry in wetter weather. But check your shoes I had to buy another pair because my nice new shoes had excellent ventilation in the sole. Perfect for allowing freezing air and water in.

Decent gloves, a cosy ear warmer band and overshoes and a wind proof top. Winter done.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I just checked the bundles at planet x and this one seems ideal as I could do with some warmer gloves and socks. All for £19.99!

Planet X Neoprene Overshoes
    Planet X Winter Cycling Gloves / Black
    SKull LED Bicycle Light / White LED / White Body
    SKull LED Bicycle Light / Red LED / Red Body
    Planet X Cotton Cycling Cap / One Size / Black
    On-One Thicky Merino Socks / Grey with Red and White Stripes
    On-One Thinny Merino Socks / Black with White Logo
    On-One Thinny Coolmax Socks / Black with Grey Logo

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLH ... mas_hamper

Looks a good buy that
    Hmm not sure if I'll be small or medium large
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If you want to keep your shoes clean and your feet warm, they're essential

Yes. I couldn't believe how much crud my shoes collected, even before worrying about my frozen toes. :|
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I wouldn't quite call them a 'must' as such, only because they are something you can do without. They are however a simple thing that can make a big difference to your cycling, and are somewhat easier than plastic bags and tape (and hopefully more effective!)

I don't have any because I don't have any money and they never seem to be high enough of a priority. I generally get by just fine with minimal cold foot trouble. The shoes you have will make a difference; highly vented road shoes will let more cold air in than MTB shoes (of the sort that I use) which are essentially outdoor pursuit trainers with stiff soles.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The shoes you have will make a difference; highly vented road shoes will let more cold air in than MTB shoes (of the sort that I use) which are essentially outdoor pursuit trainers with stiff soles.

That sounds like something chavs in Liverpool wear to evade capture :lol: :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    The shoes you have will make a difference; highly vented road shoes will let more cold air in than MTB shoes (of the sort that I use) which are essentially outdoor pursuit trainers with stiff soles.

That sounds like something chavs in Liverpool wear to evade capture :lol: :shock:

:lol:

Well done sir. Well done.
  • I don't really understand the use of Neoprene as a material for overshoes. One of it's characteristics is that it is NOT waterproof, hence it's use in wetsuits. It is designed to let water in and keep it in so that body temperature can hear the trapped water and provide a thermal layer. Putting them over cycling shoes in wet conditions may keep the shoes clean, but they will still get wet and without the direct contact with skin there is little/no heat benefit. The result is damp cycling shoes and feet, albeit drier than they would otherwise have been.

There have to be better solutions out there for keeping feet warm and dry in the winter?
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • i wear sealskinz (the heavy ones) with my old, beat up sidis (now very loose, so fit with the socks). they are water repelling enough that my feet stay dry and warm. i suspect i am not the only person who does this, as sealskinz now has a 'cycling' range (when i started to do this, they just offered hiking gear).

was thinking about getting a second pair and cutting cleat holes to wear as overshoes.

i HATE the regular overshoes and will only wear them if it is pouring out.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Neoprene is pretty waterproof, its only the seams that leak if untaped. I was wearing a pair of Pro neoprene overshoes over my Sidi shoes on an MTB ride where we had to ride through a swollen ford - the water was mid-shin but as it didn't actually go over the top of the bootee, my feet stayed dry. My main reason for wearing overshoes is that it keeps my shoes clean and in good nick.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't really understand the use of Neoprene as a material for overshoes. One of it's characteristics is that it is NOT waterproof, hence it's use in wetsuits. It is designed to let water in and keep it in so that body temperature can hear the trapped water and provide a thermal layer. Putting them over cycling shoes in wet conditions may keep the shoes clean, but they will still get wet and without the direct contact with skin there is little/no heat benefit. The result is damp cycling shoes and feet, albeit drier than they would otherwise have been.

There have to be better solutions out there for keeping feet warm and dry in the winter?

My wetsuit is waterproof. It's only when the water hits the zip that it comes through.

Water will obviously get in through the neck, arm and leg holes too - but you want that in a wetsuit to cool you down.
    No overshoes are 100% waterproof as there are two great big holes at the top. And water will soak down thru your longs.
  • I don't really understand the use of Neoprene as a material for overshoes. One of it's characteristics is that it is NOT waterproof, hence it's use in wetsuits. It is designed to let water in and keep it in so that body temperature can hear the trapped water and provide a thermal layer. Putting them over cycling shoes in wet conditions may keep the shoes clean, but they will still get wet and without the direct contact with skin there is little/no heat benefit. The result is damp cycling shoes and feet, albeit drier than they would otherwise have been.

It's 100% waterproof, hence its use in drysuits, seams taped properly and nothing is getting past it. A proper wetsuit is not designed to let water in, it only does so around it's poor seals and untaped seals.
  • smidsy wrote:

we dont have 'chavs' in liverpool. theyre 'scals' or 'lids'.

do keep up! 8)
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    From my first deliberate ride in the rain his morning, overshoes will be a Very Good Thing. The shoes got a bit damp and socks got wet.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • If anyone has some suggestions for GIANT overshoes then I'd love to hear them. I've tried the XL Planet-X overshoes that were way too small and some Pro Classic Neoprene overshoes in an XXXL and they didn't fit either.
    I'm trying to find some for my size 49 Specialized Elite Touring shoes.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Overshoes, Toe warmers, Shoe, Woolie Boolies, Liner sock is what I used to wear.

Now I just wear winter boots with any old socks, much better for me - and if it gets really cold I can add the overshoes etc.

*Prhymeate*
    Gore do an expensive one in 48-50 size:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k529/a ... shoes.html
    Or Craft
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k529/a ... black.html
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:

Cheers Jubberjim. I was looking at the Gore ones yesterday and was going to order some but when I looked at the Q&A section on Wiggle one of the staff replied to a question saying that they didn't think a size 49 mtb shoe would fit the largest size overshoe. I think my touring shoes might be closer to the size of a mtb shoe than a road shoe. I guess it's worth a shot though as Wiggles returns policy is excellent.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    One tip - get ones that are easy to put on, i.e. with a zip rather than lots of horrible velcro bits that you can never get lined up properly and stick to your other clothes when you are storing them in the cupboard...

In any case, they really make a big difference to comfort in sub 7C weather, especially if it's wet. Even if they don't completely keep the water out, they keep the toes from getting cold and numb.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    A proper wetsuit is not designed to let water in, it only does so around it's poor seals

24827612.jpg
  • Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get something like these toe covers with a strap in the UK? All the links I find are for places in the US. They look like they'd be ideal for me as I'm struggling to find any overshoes that will fit and I'm guessing the elastic might be a bit more forgiving than neoprene.

planet-bike-dasher-toe-cover-1.jpg