Cold Related Cramps

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
Hi,

I've read some of the recent threads about cold weather affecting performance and average speeds and whilst it all sounds very logical, the major debilitating effect that the cold has on me is lactic acid buildup and the onset of cramps MUCH earlier in the ride that I was experiencing in the summer. I've tried to maintain a constant level of training (70-100 miles per week) since the summer, but now that the cold weather has hit it feels like my training is going backwards!

For example, on a particularly cold weekend ride a couple of weeks ago, I was trundling along the first 20-or-so flattish miles at what I thought was a maintainable pace, got out of the saddle to attack the first big hill and after a couple of hundred metres had cramp in both my calves and had to sit down and spin up it. I try to maintain a higher (>100rpm) cadence to keep some warmth in the legs but that doesn't seem to help.

Is it just me not accounting for the extra exertion required in cold conditions and should I pace myself more conservatively? Or could it be due to decreased blood circulation due to temp and tighter leggings etc.

Whilst riding I don't feel as though I'm breathing that hard or have a high heart rate unless I'm going up a decent hill, and at the end of a ride, I don't feel particularly exhausted, but my legs just don't have anything more to give in these cold conditions. I'm having to pace myself much more conservatively and I'm not liking it!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Adam

Comments