Training For LeJog Using Edge 800

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
Hi,
Me and my mate are doing LeJog in April 2013 and I was wondering about whether it was worth investing in the cadence sensor and/or heart rate monitor to improve fitness over the coming months. I have seen some cadence sensors for under £30 ( that seem a few years old ) and then there is the one that states it is for the Edge at around £45 - the cheaper one is still supposed to be compatible with Garmins but is it only for the older models?

With the time we might be cycling every day ( got one day @ 150miles ) I was also wondering about an external battery pack but the official Garmin one seems expensive at around £60, has anyone used any or know of other products available for less - solar, maybe? I use the turn by turn display ( brings up an enlarged map of the junctions ) which I think does use the power up more quicker. Currently I think I'd be able to get maybe 10 hours out of it but as I'm not 100% certain we will be able to do the longer days in less than that I was thinking a spare battery back up would be beneficial.
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2012
    no. i doubt either of them will give you any benefit over just riding the bike.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A Garmin Etrex with AA batteries would be better suited to such long days. I used an Etrex Legend HCx for my 5 day LEJOG. Looks a bit dated now, but still up to the job.
    More problems but still living....
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Sounds like you're going to need the battery pack if you're riding for longer than the battery life of the 800. Unless you have a couple of garmins to share between you.

Unless you're planning a fitness plan that relies on cadence I'd suggest you don't need the cadence sensor. If you have a fitness plan that needs a HR monitor then I'd get one, but if you're just doing a lot of road miles I'm not sure what it would add. It might also reduce battery life? Maybe not.

Good luck with your ride. What's the furthest you've ridden in a day?
  • Thanks for the replies. The cadence idea was just to possibly improve fitness as I do tend to spin anyway and thought it a good way of monitoring whether spinning too much or too little. Obviously LeJog isn't a race but if it helps I'd consider it. I already have the Edge 800 but just the unit itself.
    The furthest we have ridden is 100miles when we did the Ride with Brad sportive climbing 10,000ft. That took us 7 hours to do which considering I have only started cycling in April after 20 odd years not cycling, thought was pretty decent. And there were some tough climbs in that ride!!
    Our LeJog route is 959miles and 61,500ft of climbing with the first day at 117miles 10,400ft, day 2 at 130miles and 9800ft and the next to last day being 150miles 10,500ft. Those are the biggest climbing days. The others are around 7000ft.
    We usually try to exceed 4000ft on every ride we do although the distances are much shorter. If fact the last time we went out together a week or so ago, we did 66miles and climbed 5300ft.
    I was hoping that by monitoring the cadence it would help us go further rather than pushing a higher gear and tiring myself out?
    Hoping to mix up our training by doing shorter distances but more climbing and also long distances with little climbing.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The reason that the first couple of days have so much ascent is because Devon and Cornwall are a bit lumpy

If you can already do 100 miles I'm sure you will have no trouble.

Just keep riding regularly through the winter and do as much distance as possible