Are road cyclists the most vain creatures?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    edited December 2012
    Who went back and edited their threads? :evil: . It was my call. I called it. Me. My ego is now much bigger than all of yours, I won't let you do this to me. I will avenge the slayers of my ego, I will wear Oakleys and I will wax my bikes with Auto Glym super polymer resin polish. My belly is flatter than Bompingtons, my chainset shinier, my spoke nipples anodised and flashier...I did the Caledonia first in 1922 on a fixed penny farthing long before any of you crawled into this world of mine...I am going to put another curvy mirror at the end of my drive so that I can see the cars coming to look at me and admire my gorgeous face in the reflection and then head down town (thrice) to catch a glance of me whizzing by mirrored on Debenhams front window...Don't you cramp me style, don't you queer on me pitch...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    bompington wrote:
    I notice the unfurling wings on the back - scottish fairy by any chance :lol:
    ..of the most dainty variety, as you see.

BTW Schiehallion (the mountain across the loch, incidentally where gravity was first measured and contours invented) means something like "Scottish fairy place" ;-)

i bet it was you, yes you who put the tacks on the road in 2009 to slow me down. If its my will gainst yours, I will win.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Are you Scottish people about to have a square go? Jolly good.
  • pinno
    Not with Bompington, we all know when he's out on his bike - 'Squeek Squeek Squeek', the ticht fisted old Fyffer, back pocket fu' o' tacks on his 1963 Claude Butler, straining at the leash in his big ring like a Westie with constipation gan' a' red in the face, lugs glowin', smoke pourin' oot, gruntin' like a Campbell on heat.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    6. Di2 for faster shifting
    Di2 Is for racing and racing only, it's far too unreliable to be used on a regular bike,
    You were doing well until this bit. Di2 are superbly reliable (as long as you make sure the connectors are in properly, more of that elsewhere at a later date) but the consistent reports from those who use them are that they're superb and that consistency and reliability is one their biggest pluses. Dissing Di2 without knowing what they're about is a step too far.

Carry on everybody.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Not with Bompington, we all know when he's out on his bike - 'Squeek Squeek Squeek', the ticht fisted old Fyffer, back pocket fu' o' tacks on his 1963 Claude Butler, straining at the leash in his big ring like a Westie with constipation gan' a' red in the face, lugs glowin', smoke pourin' oot, gruntin' like a Campbell on heat.

Sorry you lost me after the word bike. :wink:
  • Am I missing something? Thought the original post was a bit tongue-in-cheek but 4 pages in 24 hours... touchy-touchy.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Now you're making me nervous, you've been watching me haven't you?
    But Eh'm no fae Fife, OK?

PS I do still have a couple of tacks I kept as a souvenir after pulling them from my tyres... :evil:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bompington wrote:
    Now you're making me nervous, you've been watching me haven't you?
    But Eh'm no fae Fife, OK?
    He knows how to cut you to the quick. #Worked. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bompington
    ...straining at the leash in his big ring like a Westie with constipation gan' a' red in the face...
    This image of the leash in my big ring is a bit disturbing too.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    I agree (almost) completely.

Glasses - sorry don't need them, and I hit speeds of up to 40mph on a regular basis.

I used to think that. Then at a speed of 'only' 30mph, a stone went right into my eye.
    I then fell off and gave the road a new layer of skin. Plenty of bloody and even a little bone.
    I've not gone anywhere on my bike without them again.

If I came off at 40, 50mph.. Then what? I'd probably be in a very, very bad way.

You're a pleb if you don't think you need glasses.
    Losing a shed load of your skin and risking blindness might not seem like it's worth avoiding to you though :lol:
    That's not even to mention they protect your eyes from the sun.
  • ethanhayes wrote:
    Losing a shed load of your skin and risking blindness might not seem like it's worth avoiding to you though :lol:

How about you eat a bowl of dicks?
  • pinno
    Bustacapp wrote:
    ethanhayes wrote:

Easy fellas.

Listen to this for a while, it will help you calm down.
    Disciplinary/Good Karma rolled into one
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    ethanhayes wrote:

Is that an offer? :oops:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    yes
  • RideOnTime
    no.
  • RideOnTime
    may be. :roll:
  • I am vain on the bike. I wear matching outfits, shave legs and groom. I heap disdain upon those who foul road bikes with pumps, saddle bags etc. I am a watcher and practitioner of the rules. When I go for a ride I am no longer a married dad of 3 with a mortgage, I am a cycling warrior who has panache and flair, fitness and stamina on tap and proud.

My bikes are beautiful and expensive. My kit is not from ALDI...yeuch, why be boring ?
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Some road kit is vanity but what is wrong with that. Most road kit fill a genuine need but the need of one roadie os often different to another. A touring cyclist kit for example and their bike will be completley different from a club cyclist. Many roadies cycle in different disiplines as well. I club ride and time trail. My bikes for both are very different. Also I want to race next year so my new race bike is different again.

I suppose my TT bike is a retro vanity project in some ways but it is also the only bike I own that is worth more than what I spend putting it together and will probably hold it value. So in another way it my most sensible bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bompington
    Absolutely DMC. Everyone knows that spending lots of money on things makes you really exciting and special.
  • My kit is not from ALDI...yeuch, why be boring ?

Why must things be boring because they are from ALDI?

You sir, are a snob.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    My kit is not from ALDI...yeuch, why be boring ?

You sir, are a snob.

I got winter gloves from Aldi 3 years ago. I defy anybody to find anything warmer for anywhere near that price. Not greatly cool, but then I ride my bike because I like riding bikes.
  • bompington wrote:
    Absolutely DMC. Everyone knows that spending lots of money on things makes you really exciting and special.

Ah, you know me so well, from so few lines on the internet. Chapeau. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Bustacapp wrote:

You sir, are a snob.

Sorry, my bad, ALDi is a cheap shop, bargainsville I suppose it fulfills certain peoples needs.

You sir, are correct, I am a snob. :wink:
  • Bustacapp wrote:

You sir, are a snob.

I got winter gloves from Aldi 3 years ago. I defy anybody to find anything warmer for anywhere near that price. Not greatly cool, but then I ride my bike because I like riding bikes.

Yoy cannot be cool anyway, you are from Leicseter. :wink:
  • I have a Di2 bike - because I can
    I have aero wheels - because they look nice (IMO) and because I can
    I have shaved legs (which Mrs BT says look like uncooked poultry)
    I wear "cool" sunglasses, even when it's dark and I run the risk of riding into a tree (in a Blues-Brothers stylee)
    I have lots of garish, coordinated and often ill-advised cycling kit - because I am colour blind :wink:
    I bought Ultegra pedals even though they are no different to (or much lighter than) basic SPD-SL's - for the logo
    I have three nice bikes even though I can only ride one at a time, and my alu bike is as good as a carbon one
    I have a jolly nice expensive LAS helmet

I ride my bike(s) as often, as far and as fast as I can because it makes me happy, healthy and thin.

I don't have a flash car, house, watch, jewellery (largely 'cos I've spent everything on bikes & spurious kit), don't go clubbing (just as well at my age), don't smoke and don't go to expensive restaurants very often. I don't own any cycling kit from Aldi. Cycling and its associated paraphenalia is my only vice. Well, that and copious quantities of good Malt Whisky (preferably Highland Park). I am not from Fife.

Does all of the above make me vain? I certainly hope so. I hope people look at me and think "wow, is he a pro cyclist?" even though I absolutely know for a fact they are thinking "what a tw@t" - in my head (where it matters, to me at least), it doesn't matter what others think. :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Bustacapp wrote:

You sir, are a snob.

I use a pair of these for the cold winter riding (£15) - I also use them skiing....

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/e ... nitexFBF15

Hardly look cool do they!? ...They are brilliant though, keep my hands warm and taking them off for punctures is a doddle as they don't have an annoying inner liner that makes getting them back on super easy.
  • yes
  • no.
  • uhh