Are road cyclists the most vain creatures?

nolight
nolight Posts: 261
edited December 2012 in The bottom bracket
Let's be honest. How many of the things road cyclists do are out of vanity rather than for functionality?

Eyewear to protect eyes? Don't be kidding, To look cool of course.
Tight jerseys for aerodynamics? No to show off their fine bodies.
Clipless pedals for efficiency? Not really. Flat pedals look silly.
Expensive helmet for better ventilation, lightness, let's see what else? Nevermind, if it looks cool what reason do you need?
No underwear under shorts? Of course, people will laugh cos you are newbie if you wear underwear under shorts.
DuraAce groupset for better performance and let's see, 500g lighter? What the heck, DuraAce logo is nice and makes you look pro.
Di2 for faster shifting? No it is just the latest gadget and you get it regardless of whether you need it. And it sounds better when shifting.
Aero wheels for speed? Let's face it higher rims to display the sexy Zipp logo better and bigger so people can see it.
Aero road bikes/TT bikes? Who cares if they are less comfortable and you are never going above 30km/h, the body posture and the bike makes for a nice photoshoot.
Carbon frame for lightness? Every pro is using it that's why you use it.
Better tires? No color matching comes first, quality 2nd.

Comments

• themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    And why not?
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I dont care what you say its still a good feeling when your cycling through town and you get about 5 or 6 comments about how nice your bike is.

Although it does help if you have Pinarello written on the side of your bike. With all the Bradley Wiggins hype, it seems that everyone symbolises Pinarellos with being awesome. Thank god they dont have a look at my strava results or they would know that is not the case.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yeah, I admit, it's all vanity. Just look at the poser showing off his fine body on his over-expensive bike :roll:
    4898858241_b32eba53e0_z.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    nolight wrote:
    Let's be honest. How many of the things road cyclists do are out of vanity rather than for functionality?

Expensive helmet for better ventilation, lightness, let's see what else? Nevermind, if it looks cool what reason do you need?
    No underwear under shorts? Of course, people will laugh cos you are newbie if you wear underwear under shorts.
    DuraAce groupset for better performance and let's see, 500g lighter? What the heck, DuraAce logo is nice and makes you look pro.
    Di2 for faster shifting? No it is just the latest gadget and you get it regardless of whether you need it. And it sounds better when shifting.
    Aero wheels for speed? Let's face it higher rims to display the sexy Zipp logo better and bigger so people can see it.
    Aero road bikes/TT bikes? Who cares if they are less comfortable and you are never going above 30km/h, the body posture and the bike makes for a nice photoshoot.

Eyewear - I need it so I don't go blind when riding. I don't wear it to look cool.

Clipless pedals - necessary to actually keep your foot on the pedal, and to allow me to pull up on the pedal stroke.

Expensive helmet, Dura-Ace, Di2, Aero wheels, TT bike,Carbon frame, Colour matching tyres.

I have none on that list, and I'm a roadie. Those things do make a difference (well, I've tried Ultegra 6700 on a carbon frame).....

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    nolight wrote:

Get a stone or a bee in your eye and then tell me you dont want glasses.
    Tight aero jerseys ? More like most makes come up small.
    Clipless are far superior to flats. If you don't get this you've not cycled enough.
    Helmets - I'm struggling to think of one that looks cool ?
    Underwear - its a matter of friction - having material there is likely to rub.
    DA groupset - ok maybe.
    Di2 - for most people its not going to make a difference.
    Aero wheels - they do roll faster and you have the fun of sidewind jigs too. Its a win win.
    Aero bikes dont have to be uncomfy. If they are - you're doing it wrong.
    Carbon can be a nice cheap material for a frame. They can ride brilliantly.
    Matchy matchy tyres and kit - yes - I dont get this. Sometimes this forum is more like Vogue than a bike forum.
  • Its not just vanity (I agree some of it is) its love between man and machine and one wants the thing one loves to be well cared for and look its best - hence - expensive care and attention to self and machine.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The more I pop into Road General, the more retarded it seems to get.

Not sure I can be be bothered to entertain such a daft set of questions but will say, i'm a tart, get over it :wink:
  • I agree (almost) completely.

Glasses - sorry don't need them, and I hit speeds of up to 40mph on a regular basis.

Tight jerseys? I must confess I bought an 'active stretch' sports jersey from Lidl the other week for £9.99 for a snug and 'aero' winter fit. But I believe I have saved myself with the fact it has a built in hood.

Clipless pedals - I have combined clip/flat pedals and am more than happy using the flat side and have no intention now of going down the SPD route.

My helmet was £30 and I look like a prick in it.

Underwear under compression shorts = briefs from Tesco (£4).

All the rest matters not to me as I got my bike from Halfords. :D
  • and yet the op has probably bought nice alloys for his car... lol
  • Given that vanity also includes the tendency to irrationally defend oneself against criticism, then on the strength of the above, I'd say yes.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I agree (almost) completely.

Glasses - sorry don't need them, and I hit speeds of up to 40mph on a regular basis.

Tight jerseys? I must confess I bought an 'active stretch' sports jersey from Lidl the other week for £9.99 for a snug and 'aero' winter fit. But I believe I have saved myself with the fact it has a built in hood.

Clipless pedals - I have combined clip/flat pedals and am more than happy using the flat side and have no intention now of going down the SPD route.

My helmet was £30 and I look like a prick in it.

Underwear under compression shorts = briefs from Tesco (£4).

All the rest matters not to me as I got my bike from Halfords. :D
    Sure, you can manage without glasses but I have been hit on the lens by stones travelling like bullets so I think they are a good idea. They also keep the sun and insects out of your eyes. Not worth being a cheapskate with your eyes.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    To be serious for a minute (yes, I know the OP wasn't really...)
    There are sound functional reasons for most of the things on the OP's list. In many cases there is also the possibility that vanity or bike-tartism can be involved.
    In a few cases (glasses, underwear) you would be a bit daft not to follow the cycling fashion, 'cos it isn't just fashion. My current winter cycling glasses are not Oakleys, they are clear-lensed safety glasses bought for £1.99 off ebay.
    As for underwear, I would be fascinated to know what your butt would look like after a couple of hours cycling in the rain wearing briefs. But I wouldn't want to see.
  • bompington wrote:
    As for underwear, I would be fascinated to know what your butt would look like after a couple of hours cycling in the rain wearing briefs. But I wouldn't want to see.

It would look the same as it would without wearing briefs I imagine.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Trust me, it's not vanity, wearing a skinsuit is not a good look for me, or anyone else for that matter.....
  • Are people at times judgemental and often incorrect creatures?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    What a berk. Anyway, as you raised it...

Eyewear to protect eyes? Don't be kidding, To look cool of course. Don't wear it, unless it's v sunny in which case I reserve the right to wear sunglasses.
    Tight jerseys for aerodynamics? No to show off their fine bodies. With my figure? It wicks the sweat away; it has useful pockets. Right kit for the job. It's for my benefit not yours. Next.
    Clipless pedals for efficiency? Not really. Flat pedals look silly. The daftest so far. Everyone who goes clipless instantly recognises the benefits and enjoys the better experience.
    Expensive helmet for better ventilation, lightness, let's see what else? Nevermind, if it looks cool what reason do you need? Don't wear one most of the time tbh.
    No underwear under shorts? Of course, people will laugh cos you are newbie if you wear underwear under shorts. Complete failure to grasp how & why they work.
    DuraAce groupset for better performance and let's see, 500g lighter? What the heck, DuraAce logo is nice and makes you look pro. It's nicer; it works better than £9.99 mechs, really.
    Di2 for faster shifting? No it is just the latest gadget and you get it regardless of whether you need it. And it sounds better when shifting. Except it gives faster shifting,always gives the same gearchange, allows easy gearchanges when batling up a hill, and is just nicer. Live with that fact.
    Aero wheels for speed? Let's face it higher rims to display the sexy Zipp logo better and bigger so people can see it. Spinning up more easily isn't a benefit then?
    Aero road bikes/TT bikes? Who cares if they are less comfortable and you are never going above 30km/h, the body posture and the bike makes for a nice photoshoot. Never more than 30Km/h eh? I see where you're coming from now. You can't ride a bike properly, maybe can't afford anything nice so you take the commie view that we all have to fit with the lowest common denominator approach? Berk. Do you apply this same thought process to people who drive nicer cars than you, and have nicer televisions, stereo systems, kitchens and computers? Muppet.

I missed the last two, butt CBA TBH. Is BR suddenly attracting non-cyclists who've signed up to have another outlet for their anti-cycling diatribes, now that The Mail & Teh Telegraph have fuelled their belief that cycling is the work of the anti-christ? We seem to have a couple on here with that attitude suddenly. Welcome aboard fellahs; we can help you with your problems.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    CiB wrote:
    I missed the last two, butt CBA TBH. Is BR suddenly attracting non-cyclists who've signed up to have another outlet for their anti-cycling diatribes, now that The Mail & Teh Telegraph have fuelled their belief that cycling is the work of the anti-christ? We seem to have a couple on here with that attitude suddenly. Welcome aboard fellahs; we can help you with your problems.

Yup. don't know what has initiated this either...
    I'm sticking to 'Training' and 'Prorace'for the time being until things settle down, if anyone trolls in there, they'll get a Sidi up their jaxxy in less than 2 and a referral for a ban.
  • Bella in sella.
  • J.E.A.L.O.U.S.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Yes of course we are vain - that doesn't mean the kit you mention is just fluff.

But I think the dominant trait isn't vanity - it's snobbery.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MrSweary wrote:

Very this.
  • nolight wrote:

Eyewear to protect eyes? Don't be kidding, To look cool of course. have you tried riding at 25-30mph in subzero temperatures without glasses?
    Tight jerseys for aerodynamics? No to show off their fine bodies. I will give you that
    Clipless pedals for efficiency? Not really. Flat pedals look silly. you tried spinning at 120+ rpm on flats? it tends to result in bleeding shins after the first bump.

No underwear under shorts? Of course, people will laugh cos you are newbie if you wear underwear under shorts. underwear under shorts has a habit of chaffing
    DuraAce groupset for better performance and let's see, 500g lighter? What the heck, DuraAce logo is nice and makes you look pro. Shimano for looks?
    Aero road bikes/TT bikes? Who cares if they are less comfortable and you are never going above 30km/h, the body posture and the bike makes for a nice photoshoot. who the hell is incapable of going over 30kph?
    quote]
  • Can we stop feeding the troll now please.
  • danowat
    MrSweary wrote:
    Yes of course we are vain - that doesn't mean the kit you mention is just fluff.

Says the person who list's their bikes in their signature :lol:
  • MrSweary
    danowat wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Says the person who list's their bikes in their signature :lol:

:lol: Hehehe... I thought it was the done thing! Why don't you? Embarrassed? :wink:

In any case, there is no possible way to ride the Marin hybrid and look down on anyone! In fact, the Felt is hardly a carbon dream machine although I think it's lovely and I loves it. My precioussssss.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I don't think it's a trait peculiar to cycling - look at golf and ski-ing. This should be in 'beginner's' - another noob sounding-off their innate prejudices without understanding half the reasons we use this stuff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • danowat
    MrSweary wrote:
    :lol: Hehehe... I thought it was the done thing! Why don't you? Embarrassed? :wink:

In any case, there is no possible way to ride the Marin hybrid and look down on anyone! In fact, the Felt is hardly a carbon dream machine although I think it's lovely and I loves it. My precioussssss.

Not at all embarrassed, I could list my bikes, but what would be the point?, I cycle purely to race, and what I ride is irrelevant to anyone other than myself really.
  • CiB wrote:
    ...I see where you're coming from now. You can't ride a bike properly, maybe can't afford anything nice so you take the commie view that we all have to fit with the lowest common denominator approach? Berk.
    +1

Just for the record, I'm a n00b too, and I very much don't take this 'it's all vanity' view.

I loved clipless instantly - fab to be confident that feet would never slip off. I love having the flats too, on the other side, but anything more than a couple of miles and it's clipless all the way.

Eyewear - I bought some cheapish cycling sunglasses and they're much better than the ordinary sunnies I had - much lighter, and much better coverage. And now my eyes don't constantly pour every ride.

Tight clothes - I can't stand things flapping about in the wind.

Helmet - don't care much, mine was quite cheap. I don't think it looks too bad.

Underwear - I've tried with and without, prefer with so far, up to 40 miles. People can laugh if they want, don't confuse me with someone that gives a damn.

Groupset - Tiagra is all I have, nothing to compare with except my old downtube shifter from 35 years ago, so it's still a revelation.

Wheels - I can see lighter would be nice, but my stock Giant wheels go round in the right direction, not bothered about upgrading so far. I'll lose another half a stone first.

I can see why TT bikes are different, I don't need one.

Carbon frame for lightness? No, I got my one because I preferred the ride to the identical ally one I rode.

Colour matching tyres? My bike is black and white, so all good there.

Would I like some expensive upgrades? Of course. Am I getting them yet? No.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • MrSweary
    danowat wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Not at all embarrassed, I could list my bikes, but what would be the point?, I cycle purely to race, and what I ride is irrelevant to anyone other than myself really.

I was joking - lighten up. In any case listing bikes would be vanity not snobbery. I freely admit to the former :runs hand through hair:

I should also point out that having bikes listed allows us to identify each other on our commutes where that's the case...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • I feel a bit sorry for the OP on this thread.

I *think* that his post was just a light-hearted - look at all of us cool roadies and the things we do, ha ha - type of thing.

I don't think the OP has posted since he started the thread. Maybe he could post to let us know if it was a fun thread, or whether he was actually having a go at roadies?