Katusha - WTF !!!!

Comments

• they're not given any sort of licence right now. interesting question if their appeal to CAS fails and they apply for a pro-conti licence...apart from the ethical question (is the review process a lot looser for pro-conti teams?), there's the matter of the Rusvelo team in the pro-conti ranks and under the same ownership...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    An ethical assessment by UCI is like being told not to burgle by a burglar.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    they're not given any sort of licence right now. interesting question if their appeal to CAS fails and they apply for a pro-conti licence...apart from the ethical question (is the review process a lot looser for pro-conti teams?), there's the matter of the Rusvelo team in the pro-conti ranks and under the same ownership...

Not so much apparently....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So RusVelo didn't get a pro-conti license either, pending a review in January.

The most interesting thing is the UCI have said if Katusha won their appeal at CAS, they would demote a team from the World Tour.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The most interesting thing is the UCI have said if Katusha won their appeal at CAS, they would demote a team from the World Tour.

So who is the most likely to be demoted?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

So who is the most likely to be demoted?

Garmin?
  • ddraver
    I'm struggling to think of why they re doing this. The only reason I can think of is that Pat is trying to distance any competitors. Most people would have had Marakov down as a his main contender so he was attacked...

Vaughters has been talking a little overloudly about the problems in cycling and how Pat should go.....
    - @ddraver
  • Officially unconfirmed but Twitter's reporting that Katusha's been denied a wildcard for TDU...

So....Katusha chucked out of WT, Rusvelo denied Pro-Conti licence, Katusha's very first application for a wildcard may have been rejected...

There's got to be more behind this. Could Holczer have spilled beans to the UCI?
  • Ekimov confirms that the reason for Katusha being thrown out is the team's insufficient anti-doping policy

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=58019
  • iainf72
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm struggling to think of why they re doing this. The only reason I can think of is that Pat is trying to distance any competitors. Most people would have had Marakov down as a his main contender so he was attacked...

Vaughters has been talking a little overloudly about the problems in cycling and how Pat should go.....

Not got anything to do with Pat though.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Ekimov confirms that the reason for Katusha being thrown out is the team's insufficient anti-doping policy

And they do have the worst anti-doping policy of every team. Surely they can't be surprised that they failed this bit with a bang.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Ekimov confirms that the reason for Katusha being thrown out is the team's insufficient anti-doping policy

And they do have the worst anti-doping policy of every team. Surely they can't be surprised that they failed this bit with a bang.

Cant see CAS over-turning this one. Exhibit A: Galimzyanov's postive accompanied by his hand-written 'confession' posted on Facebook....Exhibit B: Replacing Holczer (he's bad enough) with Ekimov, named in the USADA report..
  • ddraver
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not got anything to do with Pat though.

Gah you re so like totally naive dude! :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

I read that Ekimov is 'believed' to be still under investigation by USADA in the LA reasoned decision. Maybe, amongst the other arguments, Marakov etc the UCI is trying to prevent another TdF start timed expose along the lines of "Another Tour Team Manager Doped With Armstrong, Pro Cycling Still Not Clean" or something gutterish along those lines.

I dont believe everyone who wants to replace Pat is doing it for cycling, most will be doping it for position, 'power' and mopney. And, if you want to bring down the UCI, trashing the name again pre Tour is a good way to do it
  • This is cheeky. The Russians had been dicking around and putting off for ages the organisation of this race, anyway

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13544 ... ction.aspx
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2012
    Now Purito's saying he'll be off out of Katusha if they dont win their appeal

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodrigu ... -de-france

Guess the loyalty he was swearing last week got tempered by reality and (understandably) ambition
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's not got enough years left to waste a year riding shit small races.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ---
  • iainf72
    L'equipe saying Menchov is the problem. I know there's a lot of smoke around him and perhaps they commission didn't like the way Katusha just ignored it.

I've been wondering, who does it benefit to not have them in the World Tour. Certainly not McQuaid - He's not a political idiot so I doubt he'd risk annoying them. (and as inrng pointed out, the commission is really quite independent)

Tinkov benefited and has history with the team. And has cash.

Odd.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    iainf72 wrote:
    L'equipe saying Menchov is the problem. I know there's a lot of smoke around him and perhaps they commission didn't like the way Katusha just ignored it.

I've been wondering, who does it benefit to not have them in the World Tour. Certainly not McQuaid - He's not a political idiot so I doubt he'd risk annoying them. (and as inrng pointed out, the commission is really quite independent)

Tinkov benefited and has history with the team. And has cash.

Odd.

It looks to me like this is a case of the licence commission being truly independent, which is great. We're just reading it with our "UCI corruption specs" on. I've been saying for a while now that fixing the UCI is about making sure the processes and procedures are transparent and independent, rather than just chopping off the McQuaid head. The point is to make sure the president has no way of interfering with the daily running of the UCI.

There are a couple of issues though:

1) Announcing the licence awards without providing reasoned decisions at the same time. This is a flaw in the process. It created a huge amount of gossip.
    2) Quantification of the licensing criteria - how on earth do you set the levels for "ethics"? Are there even any guidelines? If you compare it to the process for suspending a rider for a +ve then it's hugely opaque. There's also more than a hint that the commission may have pre-judged Katusha on cases which are still ongoing and unproven.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    CAS have rejected the request for an interim licence from Katusha.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:

Fully expect J-Rod to announce signing a three year deal with Movistar today then.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:

Didn't think CAS was able to make up their mind this quick.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Piti's toys will be flying out of the pram

Next question: how many of his gang can/will J-Rod take with him
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Piti's toys will be flying out of the pram

Next question: how many of his gang can/will J-Rod take with him

Depends on Movistars budget. Just him and Moreno maybe?
  • Vino might take him, he would probably be quite willing to part with his Kash.

I didn't take my coat off, Wasn't stayin long......
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Katusha gets a Pro Conti licence.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Now this is interesting. Eki claimed the other day that J-Rod wouldnt be allowed to leave because contract didnt allow for him to leave whilst licence was up in the air. Now that Katusha have a licence - albeit not the one they want - with no date still set for the CAS hearing, maybe now J-Rod leaves and they cant stop him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    I still don't get the ethics bit here. If they aren't fit for Pro Tour why are they fit for any other licence? Surely the ethics side of things should be equally applicable at all levels of the pro sport?
  • No wildcards from ASO for Katusha for either P-N or Dauphine. No clearer sign needed for J-Rod that they aint getting into the Tour

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13771 ... phine.aspx