Low level training with a cough??

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
I am aware of the below the neck rule so whenI developed a bit of a chesty cough I stopped training. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and there's not much improvement. The cough is infrequent (maybe 6/7 tines a day) but it is definitely in my chest. No other ailments and I'm not bringing anything up either.

I'm pretty sure it's a virus (seen a doctor) but not riding is doing my head in. What are purples peoples opinions on just training but nothing more strenuous than zone 2/3?

I don't want to do any long term damage but I also don't want to completely stop if it's not necessary.

Does anyone have any experience of training in this condition? And if so what's the advice?

Cheers

Comments

• I'd be very cautious. A friend who was a keen cyclist years ago was warning me recently against going out in cold air with anything in the way of an inflamed chest. Her experience was that a chest cold turned into pneumonia, and she ended up off the bike for 6 months.

Now, that's extreme, and I'm sure not all similar situations would have the same outcome.

I've just got over a sod of a cold - almost two weeks worth. I went out 4 days ago, for a very short ride - turned back after a mile and a bit since I could feel the cold air hurting my airways, which it never normally does.

Then yesterday I went out - much better, so I did more, and today I was absolutely fine (if slow!) at 26 miles.

Why not try a gentle mile, see if you end up any worse? Then maybe a few miles. If you're still ok, then increase. My mum's been saying to me "Don't overdo it" for the last 35 years - maybe she's right :shock: :shock:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • That sounds like a plan and to be honest I was thinking rollers in the garage to avoid the air thing. Maybe an hour at zone 2, but obviously don't want to put myself backa couple of weeks.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Give it one more week.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • If you've been working & living normally teh last two weeks and have been fever free for atleast a week rollers at a level that feels too easy might be best. If you feel worse, run out of puff etc you can just pack in. Even if you go out for a gentle hour in the wind it might be more than you're ready for and finding out 10 miles from home in an icy wind might be a bad idea.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Had mine for about two weeks now, occasional lung butter but nothing too bad. Seems to have got better this week though.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Given the weather at the moment I'd be cautious. I made the mistake of getting back on the bike too soon after what seemed like a mild respiratory virus. Cough had subsided and I did a couple of night rides back when the temps were about 3-4c. Really set me back and took another 3 weeks before I dared to venture out again.