Tyres for very dry hard packed trails with gravel?

2»

Comments

• cyd190468 wrote:
    Small block 8s in my experience are fast and grippy on the clean dry hard pack and life threatening when there is loose gravel, which always seems to build up in the breaking zones before corners in really dry conditions. I think maybe some of the posts from England use an english definition for dry. (not mud) whereas I think dry in Spain is more like (the third rider in a line disappears in a cloud of dust) so most of my mates use NNs or Ignitors or Ardents. My new bike came with Rocket Rons which are OK but not knobbley enough to cut through the loose dust and gravel.

You seem to have a point. After googling some Aussie forums and reading a few posts from the Desert states in the US many seem to go for a grippier/knobblier front.
  • Small block 8s in my experience are fast and grippy on the clean dry hard pack and life threatening when there is loose gravel, which always seems to build up in the breaking zones before corners in really dry conditions. I think maybe some of the posts from England use an english definition for dry. (not mud) whereas I think dry in Spain is more like (the third rider in a line disappears in a cloud of dust) so most of my mates use NNs or Ignitors or Ardents. My new bike came with Rocket Rons which are OK but not knobbley enough to cut through the loose dust and gravel.

Ah crap... yup. I read a few more reviews and they seem to struggle on loose stuff... which is my main problem.

I'll have a look at the Conti Mountain King II that Alibran suggested since he sounds like he's on similar terrain... also will check out your suggestions (NNs, Ignitors or Ardents). EdW previously identified Ardents on one of the bikes in the video I posted, so maybe these type of grip patterns are the ones to go for..

Been spending FAR too much on bike stuff recently so it would be nice to get the right tyre. I guess almost all of these suggestions would be a big improvement on the Rapid Rob so I just need to get one and give it a go.

Thanks again everyone for such great input! :-)
  • what about Maxxis Ardent? they do a 2.25" kevlar version thats still one of the lighter Maxxis tyres for its size/style...

Been seriously happy with mine...run a 2.4 upfront and a 2.25 rear and its pretty much a great all rounder. Feel much more confident on hardpack than on the thick mud though, but i guess it wasnt really designed as a mud-specific tyre...

It never really seems to suddenly wash out like other tires i've used have had a habit of doing, particularly WTB's in my experience...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78363
  • cooldad wrote:
    Nobby Nics or Mountain Kings on hardpack? Why?

As I said, in the States and Canada virtually everyone was on WTB Mutano, tubeless, 2.2 if they could still find them and 2.4 if they could fit them in their frames.

Those that weren't on Mutano were on Weirwolf!
    So you said, but why?

Very, very quick rolling, smaller central knobs, excellent transition to larger, grippier edge knobs that provide a very smooth and predictable breakaway, lightweight carcass, run tubeless very well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    CommyAdam wrote:
    what about Maxxis Ardent? they do a 2.25" kevlar version thats still one of the lighter Maxxis tyres for its size/style...

Been seriously happy with mine...run a 2.4 upfront and a 2.25 rear and its pretty much a great all rounder. Feel much more confident on hardpack than on the thick mud though, but i guess it wasnt really designed as a mud-specific tyre...

It never really seems to suddenly wash out like other tires i've used have had a habit of doing, particularly WTB's in my experience...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78363

I was going to suggest Ardents. Although them, Michelins sound worth a shot for £20. I've got a michelin something or other on the back of my HT and it's ok and wearing well.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017