Which GPS question?

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi forgive me for what is probably an age old question been asked many times before.

Looking to treat myself to a GPS, now I don't think I need/ want the map on the screen (as I usually always know where I'm going) but like the look of all the data it captures, heart rate, cadence etc so with that in mind any recommendations from personal use? Budget is £300 (ish) :wink: happy to pay for the right device without any regrets.
The garmin 500 is on my short list or one of the Bryton ones...... I know they came out best on test in one of the magazines last month but in the real world how do they compare?

Thanks in advance all :D

Comments

• Just get the Garmin Edge 500. I spent ages thinking about it before I finally got mine. After using it for a year, if it ever broke, I know I'd go out and buy a new one the same day.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I love my Garmin Edge 800. The navigation is handy to have when needed, which although isn't often I think it was worth paying the extra for.

I briefly had a Bryton Rider 35 and although it was a little rough around the edges it was perfectly acceptable and I'd probably go for one of the new ones over the cheaper garmins. I'd probably fork out extra for the garmin HR strap though, they're much nicer.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You're probably best off getting a Bryton 20 and a 50. Use the bulkier 50 when you need mapping and the 20 for the remaining 95% of the time. Or get a 40 instead of the 20 to add breadcrumb navigation and full screen flexibility if you must. The only real benefit of the Garmin I can see is probably a more sophisticated web-page or if you are using the navigation a lot.

That way you have a backup device which is handy and you're never carrying a bigger device than you need.

@Prawny - what's the difference on the straps? I thought the Bryton ones were similar to the delux Garmin ones but might be wrong. Certainly much nicer than the ones I had on my conventional computer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Get the 500 (I have and it is awesome) and if you have a smart phone with mapping then it can be used if needed! Like you - I felt I didn't need the mapping so got the 500. It is small and neat and battery life is really good. Plus you can upload to Garmin connect which is useful, and you can also upload directly to Strava. For me there is no choice!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you want a bike computer that will record all your ride data to upload to Strava then the Garmin Edge 500 was best on test in last month's Cycling+ magazine. Best value was the Bryton Rider 40T.

For full navigation as well, although the 800 is highly praised, they point out how expensive it is and the Bryton Rider 50T won their best on test.
  • If you want cadence, HR and the rest of it, you don't need a GPS. Indeed a high end CatEye or Sigma (etc) will give you more measurements...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Another vote for garmin edge 500. Does everything I could ever wish for and has become my bestest mate after my bike
  • Another Garmin Edge 500 vote here.....does everything perfectly.
  • Thanks for your thoughts everyone! Halfords have got the 500 with the extra bits for £200 if you reserve it online and collect in store plus I have my British cycling voucher try and get another 10% off at the till, any where else I should try on price ?
  • rolf_f
    If you want cadence, HR and the rest of it, you don't need a GPS. Indeed a high end CatEye or Sigma (etc) will give you more measurements...

But they don't allow an upload of the data do they? And with a Bryton 20 at £80 for the unit I tend to think that conventional expensive computers are a false economy. And I'd be a bit surprised at the top end conventional unit that can do more than either the Garmin or Bryton units - they've already got dozens of parameters I don't really need!
    #david2012 wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone! Halfords have got the 500 with the extra bits for £200 if you reserve it online and collect in store plus I have my British cycling voucher try and get another 10% off at the till, any where else I should try on price ?

Yowser! That sounds expensive!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Best price I found is £187. £200 is the going rate.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • thanks for all the advice again guys, I think I'm just going to go for it!
  • thefd
    #david2012 wrote:
    thanks for all the advice again guys, I think I'm just going to go for it!
    I really don't think you will be disappointed. :D
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Rolf F wrote:
    If you want cadence, HR and the rest of it, you don't need a GPS. Indeed a high end CatEye or Sigma (etc) will give you more measurements...

But they don't allow an upload of the data do they? And with a Bryton 20 at £80 for the unit I tend to think that conventional expensive computers are a false economy. And I'd be a bit surprised at the top end conventional unit that can do more than either the Garmin or Bryton units - they've already got dozens of parameters I don't really need!

They don't, you are quite right. I have to agree that the Bryton 20 does represent excellent value; I just couldn't help but notice that the OP isn't all that particular about functions that are particular to a GPS computer...

But for me, the perfect cycling computer has speed, trip distance and time, heart rate, cadence, max speed just for fun, and an odometer; again just for fun. I don't oppose GPS in principle, but I'm not too bothered about temperature, altitude and so on for cycling in Herts and Beds!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sportspursuit have the Bryton Rider 35 with HRM and cadence/speed sensor for £117 delivered. It's quite a discount.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Rolf F wrote:
    @Prawny - what's the difference on the straps? I thought the Bryton ones were similar to the delux Garmin ones but might be wrong. Certainly much nicer than the ones I had on my conventional computer.

I had a quick google last night and it looks like they've improved the bryton one since I had mine, mine was quite a fat strap with a large transmitter, you could see it through my jersey. The garmin one is really slim, I hardly notice it when it's on.

Bryton
    bryton-hr-belt-med.jpg

Garmin
    garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review-16.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • You could also try a non-cycling specific GPS. The Etrex 30 will work with cadence, heart rate and power monitors, plus you can get full mapping, either paid for or free openstreetmap. Under £200 for the GPS, add another £20 for a bike mount and then add heart rate & cadence when you can afford more. The Dakota 20 is very similar to the Etrex 30 but with a touch screen, and a few quid cheaper. More flexible than a cycling-only GPS.
  • I've got the bryton rider 50 and am very happy with it, a friend who has the garmin 800 is a little disappointed he paid the extra money for his as it doesn't really do anything any different/better to my bryton.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have a smart phone - use that and save yourself £300 ?

Strava will give you heart rate - don't think it gives cadence but do you really need it ? What are you using it for ?
  • I have the Garmin Edge 705 and love it. I use it in conjunction with the Cadence and HRM monitor. Would love to upgrade to the 800 but can't afford to at the moment. I've also heard a rumour that Garmin are releasing a new model.... 900 possibly?
  • epr
    epr Posts: 26
    I really don't like Amazon but sometimes you can't argue with the prices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-500 ... =8-1-spell

Spent ages thinking about whether it was worth it - had it six months now, and it really is.
  • you can get the 800 for £317 today only at wiggle add the code 12EXTRA
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • Picked up the 500 yesterday from halfords with HR & cad sensor £209 - 10% British cycling voucher so paid £188 and having only played around with it on the trainer more than happy with it ! Can't wait to take it out for a ride.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    EPR wrote:

Spent ages thinking about whether it was worth it - had it six months now, and it really is.

Cheaper at Handtec
    More problems but still living....
  • rolf_f
    amaferanga wrote:
    EPR wrote:

Cheaper at Handtec

Stop it - he said you can't argue with the prices!
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    Nothing wrong with Amazon, Got my Garmin 500 ordered today for less than £135 with my Amazon staff discount ;)

I agree that your not always best buying the cheapest, A good local bike shop can be very useful and worth more than a few pounds. But a GPS is a non-serviceable unit and you hardly need setup help like a bike fit etc so Amazon won that one.

Hard to add value to an identical box regardless of where it comes from.

I'll be getting my new bike from the local bike shop as I value the help, advice and service. All they can do with the GPS if it was faulty is ship it back. Same as Amazon.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can deal direct with Garmin anyway - no need to use the retailer at all.
    More problems but still living....
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I just bought a Garmin Edge 500 with HRM/cadence from CRC.

£212 on the website, use the SAVE40 voucher code and it is £172 with free delivery.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44124

Cheaper than Amazon/Handtec etc...
  • thefd
    Dashik wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Amazon
    So you work for Amazon :o

Shall I mention two words....corporation tax!!! :evil:

By the way I also use Amazon a great deal and agree that they are very good with delivery and returns....i'm just having fun with you.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    TheFD wrote:
    Dashik wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Amazon
    So you work for Amazon :o

Shall I mention two words....corporation tax!!! :evil:

By the way I also use Amazon a great deal and agree that they are very good with delivery and returns....i'm just having fun with you.

LOL, Indeed, and I agree they should pay there due on what they make out of the various countries in which they trade. Fairs fair.

Unfortunately the only one's lower than me are the temps.....

Still a decent enough company to work for in my opinion. Its not for everyone.