Realistic gains through Hill Repeats ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
There is a climb near me which is about 1.5miles long and would have an average gradient of about 5%. I want to improve my hill climbing as that is definitely my weakest point. If I used that climb for repeats and rode up it, then freewheeled back down and waited for a couple of minutes before going up again and then repeated same several times................is it a realistic expectation that my climbing would be improved as a direct result ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2012
    Raffles wrote:
    There is a climb near me which is about 1.5miles long and would have an average gradient of about 5%. I want to improve my hill climbing as that is definitely my weakest point. If I used that climb for repeats and rode up it, then freewheeled back down and waited for a couple of minutes before going up again and then repeated same several times................is it a realistic expectation that my climbing would be improved as a direct result ?
    Yes.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Wait, is this a trick question?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Herbsman wrote:

course not, I ride with the club and some riders make hills that im struggling on just look ridiculously easy, i want to climb hills like those guys and am keen to take steps to achieve this goal.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Raffles wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

course not, I ride with the club and some riders make hills that im struggling on just look ridiculously easy, i want to climb hills like those guys and am keen to take steps to achieve this goal.

Just loose weight.. that's the easy way to become a better climber. I recommend going to a developing country and getting food poisoning. I lost 6kg in 10 days!

Now I'm a not too shabby 76kg and 183cm.
  • Herbsman
    Raffles wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

I know, but you are asking if doing specific hill climb training will help you to increase your ability to climb hills. That sounds like you are taking the mickey :lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    He's wondering if it will work without a power meter, I expect.