I need some advice on food vs exercise!

Shaun20
Shaun20 Posts: 218
So I am currently struggling more than ever before with regards to keeping my energy levels up. Resulting in me feeling pretty tired and lack luster towards the bike. I want to get back to racing next season after but am struggling to get the motivation and energy to train.

I am a 27 postman (someones got to be) I am typically walking 6-8 miles per day 5 days a week. Due to tight deadlines and heavy work loads I have no time for an actual break at work (usually 8- 10 hr day). I am after a little advice or suggestions of the best stuff to be eating whilst on the go. At the moment I am relying on sugar far too much to get me through the day!!

I start the day well with porridge, honey, cranberries and 2-4 slices of brown bread toasted.......but all goes downhill from there! Any help would be much appreciated. I need some energy back!

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Eat nuts
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • eat more often - take healthy sarnies to work? or nuts and dried fruit mix? Dont forget to drink too!
  • I know there is a lot said about trying not to eat too much at night but you might try making sure you eat a good dinner.
    That way you start the day well fueled rather than always trying to catch up.

And by a good dinner I mean, meat or fish with plenty of vegetables as well as potatoes, rice or pasta.
  • I know there is a lot said about trying not to eat too much at night but you might try making sure you eat a good dinner.
    That way you start the day well fueled rather than always trying to catch up.

And by a good dinner I mean, meat or fish with plenty of vegetables as well as potatoes, rice or pasta.

+1 on this. On a typical day I consume around 4000 kcals. I eat approx 45% of these between 6.30pm - 9.30pm. It means I start the day fully fuelled.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I know it's easier said than done but it really would be worth trying to have short break mid day both for feeding and for some mental relaxation. Even 10 mins quality time is better than nothing, though far from ideal.

I used to regard lunch as being for wimps and would just eat a crisps at my desk. Then I moved to France and when I started doing this I was regarded pretty much as an uncivilised brute. When in Rome do as the Romans, same applies to Strasbourg, so I joined my colleagues. End result was that I ended up feeling a lot better in the afternoon and ended up a lot more productive.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    A problem with a high sugar diet is it's a really bad way to get energy. It can have various side effects. Research it. It may be the cause of your tiredness. So, stop having any sugar and develop a diet based on more complex carbs.. Since your job is so physical I would suggest that you would get on better with nibbling your way through the day. Change some of your diet for more meat protein. Keep your work diet requirements separate from your bike riding so you can find the right balance. Then when you exercise use an isotonic energy drink. Drink some of it before you ride and then keep topping up as you go. I regularly do this so I can regulate my food intake to lose weight but have the energy drink so I can enjoy the ride. Getting the balance right isn't easy and occasionally I have a mars bar to get me home. One thing about real training is the need for quality rest time. From what you do you don't 'have a cat in hells chance' of getting that. So good luck to you.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    edited December 2012
    You start the day with no protein. Maybe lose the toast and have a boiled or scrambled egg?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Eat more saturated fat. Sugar is your enemy and will kill you. Good healthy fatty food will fuel you longer and keep you going for the day. Plus help fight hunger pangs during the day. Have a fry up one day and see how you feel during the day.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    phil s wrote:
    You start the day with no protein. Maybe lose the toast and have a boiled or scrambled egg?

Assuming the porridge is made with milk it will have some protein. Indeed if the milk is skimmed and you don't use sugar a diet of porridge porridge and more porridge would be pretty close to ideal in terms of balance (20% protein, 65% carb, 15% fat) though ofc not suggesting this as a solution...

But yes eating more protein certainly helps avoid hunger which in term avoids the craving for products with refined sugar which definitely are best avoided unless being used to fuel long intense efforts.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    "bahzob wrote:

pretty close to ideal in terms of balance (20% protein, 65% carb, 15% fat) though ofc not suggesting this as a solution...

Why is this ratio ideal, because of what the Goverment and the Health Service would have you believe, I find it far from ideal, and others could well be the same. I personally would suggest as others have done that you incorporate more protein and fat in your breakfast and cut out some of the carbs. Sugar just gives you a short term hit, you body has plenty of energy stored within it in the form of fat, seriously cut down on the amount of sugar in your diet and your body will learn to burn it's fat instead, keep feeding the body sugar and it will never really revert to burning body fat efficiently.

As others have suggested, it is easy to carry small bags of nuts around with you, perhaps make your own flapjacks and have 1 or 2 of these during the day. It is not ideal to go without food all day when you have a job that involves alot of walking, so nibbling on easy to carry food is a way to get calories inside you whilst not actually stopping for lunch (though I would always suggest stopping if only for 15 mins to actually get some food inside you).

Some of your training issues will be linked to your job however, walking that sort of distance and training very well don't always go hand in hand, add to that a diet that maybe somewhat lacking in balanced nutrients and it is no wonder energy levels and the desire for training go out of the window.
  • SBezza wrote:
    "bahzob wrote:

pretty close to ideal in terms of balance (20% protein, 65% carb, 15% fat) though ofc not suggesting this as a solution...

Why is this ratio ideal, because of what the Goverment and the Health Service would have you believe, I find it far from ideal, and others could well be the same. I personally would suggest as others have done that you incorporate more protein and fat in your breakfast and cut out some of the carbs. Sugar just gives you a short term hit, you body has plenty of energy stored within it in the form of fat, seriously cut down on the amount of sugar in your diet and your body will learn to burn it's fat instead, keep feeding the body sugar and it will never really revert to burning body fat efficiently.

As others have suggested, it is easy to carry small bags of nuts around with you, perhaps make your own flapjacks and have 1 or 2 of these during the day. It is not ideal to go without food all day when you have a job that involves alot of walking, so nibbling on easy to carry food is a way to get calories inside you whilst not actually stopping for lunch (though I would always suggest stopping if only for 15 mins to actually get some food inside you).

Some of your training issues will be linked to your job however, walking that sort of distance and training very well don't always go hand in hand, add to that a diet that maybe somewhat lacking in balanced nutrients and it is no wonder energy levels and the desire for training go out of the window.
    [/quote][/quote]

Agree with this (what Bezza is saying). If too much of your diet is low quality carbohydrate you end up feeling tired & hungry. Try to think about the quality of the food.
  • Shaun20
    Shaun20 Posts: 218
    Hey Guys thanks alot for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I will try eating the nuts, more protein etc. Trying to get a routine going is the hardest part of all. I really must get more organised!
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    SBezza wrote:
    "bahzob wrote:

[/quote]

What he said ^^^^