Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's rider

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-45670

I wore them commuting home from work in the snow once and had to take them off, my hands were uncomfortably warm.

Thats partly why I suggested two pairs, you can take one off if you get too warm. How did I ever think of that!

Where do you stop though? 50 pairs of silk gloves :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • If you want 50 potential levels of warmth. Practically, I’d probably stop at two or three.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have poor circulation which might be mild Raynauds - not found any cycle glove or boot, sock, overshoe combo that works for me. Best so far for my hands have been ski gloves from TKMaxx (an apparently reputable brand - Reusch). They are pretty huge but fine for working Campag brake/shifters and DT shifters plus GPS computer buttons. I reckon that ski gloves are designed for higher speeds and colder conditions than cyclists usually have to put up with and remaindered ones are much cheaper than last seasons cycle kit.

If things get properly cold, even these won't do and I'll be looking at active solutions. I think for heated gloves and insoles the important thing is for the digits to be heated. For feet you can get some rather nifty thermostatically controlled wireless insoles and I'd love to know if they are any good.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Yeah Reusch are a good brand - you got a steal there!

MTB shifters are much harder to work with thick gloves on...much less room!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah Reusch are a good brand - you got a steal there!

MTB shifters are much harder to work with thick gloves on...much less room!

If Orange provide me with my replacement frame next week, I'll soon find out! I think I managed though with my previous Ski gloves.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Another suffer here and im wearing sugoi firewall gloves i picked up from TKmaxx for 20 quid very warm but not waterproof,and my feet even with normal socks and sealskinz get cold but the feet dont seem to do much so not getting worked hence i think thats why they get cold,to the point if i have to walk its painfull.
    Someone said to me about spraying deepheat on my fingers and putting gloves on,just need to watch when i stop for a pee.....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • itguy2
    itguy2 Posts: 88
    Alibran wrote:
    I've also read that it's very important to keep your neck warm because this affects the temperature of the blood in the area around the hypothalamus, which regulates body temperature. (ie if the blood around the hypothalamus is cooler than it should be, it will reduce blood flow to the extremities to maintain core temperature.)

This is VERY interesting. I did a brief experiment today when Xmas shopping in Leicester.

Ambient temp was about 5 to 6c, usually plenty cold enough for me to get numb hands and a very drippy nose (vasomotor rhinitis caused by raynaulds in the nose nerve ends!!).

Today I was wearing my usual heavy wool jumper (big open vee neck) and my wool winter jacket. Usually I would go out like this, wearing some average north face winter gloves and suffer. Today, ditched the gloves and went out with a standard scarf wrapped tightly round my neck and into my jacket.

Result, no onset of drippy nose or numb hands!!! I couldn't believe it.

Polar Buff now added to my Xmas list. No doubt I'll need to still wear merino base layers and decent gloves too, but this advice MAY be a turning point for me and my life for ever.

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    I've decided to get a polar buff too as i don't usualy wear a scarf but wearing one the other day had an improvement. I just hope the adult size isn't too big and baggy as i've only got a peanut head lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Tk maxx are good for polar and non polar buffs, mainly Oxford branded got, a load a couple of years ago I think they were £8 for a 3 pack of normal ones and a polar one was a fiver.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017