Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's rider

itguy2
itguy2 Posts: 88
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

Since I was 24 (now 33) ive suffered with rhumatoid arthritis and Raynauld's Phenominon quite severely in my hands.

My RA is under control (no pain or swelling) but the Raynauld's just won't relent, regardless of medication or diet changes.

So - for anyone who doesn't know, Raynaulds is severe lack of blood flow (in my case to the hands), resulting in purple, then white fingers and thumbs, getting to the point of no feeling what so ever. This happens for me in anything below 15c inc windchill (ie 20c but windchill makes it 15c).

So as you can imagine I own very warm everything to try to combat it - base layers, gloves, hat, jersey etc but still my hands go numb if I go out in anything freezing or lower.

I refuse to let it beat me, so.... What are the BEST WARMEST gloves and gear? MTB, Road and Commute, but, ideally MTB first then I'd use that stuff to commute too.

Ps - any other sufferers?!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Fox Antifreeze are excellent from my personal experience. I've dipped my hands in freezing ponds for several minutes then carried on riding in sub zero air temperatures for hours afterwards without much discomfort.
  • itguy2
    I should have probably said what I already have;

Sealskins winter glove - http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=40

These are ok for me down to about 0, but need something better!

On my motorbike I use Exo heated 12v gloves which are ok, again not amazing but better than nothing.

I've asked my wife for a polar buff, merino tights and long sleeve base layer top for Xmas too!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I've heard people suggest a pair of latex gloves or even marigolds under a pair of bike gloves for when it's really cold.

I tried the marigolds once when it was about -5 and had to keep stopping to empty the sweat out of them :roll: My hands were warm but I think I'll look for another solution next time.
  • The fox are by far the best i have tried and i do suffer with cold hands
  • I have some waterproof Endura gloves, I also have some windproof Endura gloves. Neither really seem that impressive.

The waterproof pair are not waterproof over a couple of hours and my fingers begin to get cold once the water starts to get through - that at about 5C. I'm told that most waterproof gloves don't remain waterproof on longer rides and that it's best to take a couple of pairs with you. The new Endura neoprene gloves will, apparently, keep you warm but make your hands smell and I imagine they will work in a similar way to a wet suit. I'm getting a pair to try.

The windproof pair don't initially feel very warm, they eventually become acceptable but actually do not really keep me warm until I've ridden a few km - at 0C.

I'm going to try the Gore Alp X waterproof gloves to see if they work any better.

I would have thought some mitts, with a marino wool inner glove would be a good bet for your situation. Not great for anything technical but (possibly) warm and waterproof.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I suffer from Raynauld's as well, though not as badly as you by the sounds of it. Cold hands stop me riding in the winter before anything else.

This year it has finally dawned on me that I could wear the 'best' gloves on the market and still get cold hands and the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

A good long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a soft shell jacket that is wind proof/thermal on the arms as well as the body helps no end.

Rob
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I recall seeing these guys on Dragons Den - looks like they've fianlly made it to market:
    http://www.alago.co.uk/sports/full-fingered

Interesting idea but at the moment of limited working time (an hour of heat available)

I've known a couple of Rayaulds sufferers who have ended up with electrcally heated gloves to comabt cold hands - and there's quite a few of those on the market now exploiting the new conductive textiles - possibley worth looking into.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • itguy2
    Clank wrote:
    I recall seeing these guys on Dragons Den - looks like they've fianlly made it to market:
    http://www.alago.co.uk/sports/full-fingered

Interesting idea but at the moment of limited working time (an hour of heat available)

I've known a couple of Rayaulds sufferers who have ended up with electrcally heated gloves to comabt cold hands - and there's quite a few of those on the market now exploiting the new conductive textiles - possibley worth looking into.

Interesting, not seen those before. Needs to be a few hours but could always buy two pairs!

I do have some battery (AA) gloves but they're terrible, not worth bothering with. The only heated gloves I've found any good are the 12v motorbike ones.

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    itguy2 wrote:
    [
    I do have some battery (AA) gloves but they're terrible, not worth bothering with. The only heated gloves I've found any good are the 12v motorbike ones.

My mum had a set about 30 years ago - it used the battery pack from a miners pit lamp (it was *huge*)! Things have progressed, at least! :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    EXO motorbike gloves are pish, btw- if you want proper heated gloves, Gerbing or Klan.

I've got poor circulation though not Reynaulds so less severe... Fox Antifreeze work for me, no other pushbike glove I've tried has got close. Warming up the arms helps too as you probably know, and keeping well fed- fuel the boiler and lag the pipes.

Got a set of Perfect Curve Glaciers on their way- supposed to be very warm but sweaty.

I don't think it helps that a lot of people's idea of cold weather isn't actually very cold... I took advice from a chap for one pair last year, he just casually mentioned now that he doesn't expect to ride his bike at all for the next 2 months as it's "too cold for riding".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    I suffer from Raynauld's too, maybe not as severe as you do but it is a rather annoying condition where just touching a cold car door can set it off for me at this time of year :( I've been wearing altura night vision waterproof gloves with liner and a pair of latex gloves underneath which seems to work 90% of the time for me. If i'm at home before i go out on the bike i'll warm the gloves up on the radiators before putting them on :wink:
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I just use a pair of silk under gloves for when it goes below 5 degrees
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Ber Nard wrote:
    the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

This is the advice I'd give, plus some good gloves
  • Keep your core warm and your hands/feet will look after themselves, as mentioned no gloves no matter how warm seem to keep my hands warm unless my core is warm.
    I mainly ride rode and suffer with bad circulation and chilblains, I have tried numerous ways during winter to stop my hands from becoming one large painfull lump. The best way I have found is a combination of layering gloves (liners/outers , not latex as your hands will sweat and may cause dermatitis ) a good base layer/jacket/roubaix tights and keep your cadence high for the first few miles while warming up to get the blood to your extremities.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    They re not cycling specific but Buffalo tops are extremely good, very very warm

Alternatively look for jackets filled with Primaloft. I know Mavic do a cycling specific one but there are several mountaineering versions available. I ve a Rab one and it's the best jacket I ve owned, it's as warm as down, but stays warm when wet, packs down nice and small and doesn't make me look like the Michelin man. For total warmth, that's the way forward IMO.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would agree with the Fox Antifreeze recommendations. I don't usually get cold hands but I used them down to -15 during the winter of 2010-2011 and I had to take them off sometimes my hands were boiling.

Another (expensive) option is Asso's Winter Glove System viewtopic.php?p=16773341

I have the inner glove & they are freakily warm - warmer than the Antifreeze imo - but not waterproof.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    itguy2 wrote:
    Ps - any other sufferers?!

Yep :?

I shall watch this thread with interest!!

Just had a look at the Fox Antifreeze gloves and no extra small sizes :( I have this problem with winter gloves - the smallest ones I have are still too big and I really struggle to change gear whilst wearing them as there's about 2cm of glove left where my fingers end!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • itguy2
    Thanks everyone - some really interesting stuff there.

The fox antifreeze ones sound like they're really good - might need to change my christmas order :)

miss notax - my wife has very small hands too and she has some specialized fingerless gloves but was looking at some gore wear ones that were XXS - might be worth checking out (they were winter gloves)

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Mittens keep your fingers warmer as they keep your fingers together and increase the body mass to surface area ratio.

Obviously these wont work on bike but might be worth having a look at some of the semi-mitten designs like such:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/gloves/product/review-pearl-izumi-amfib-lobster-27902

Not saying that exact model but that style, I think a few companies offer them now?
  • In the roadie world of unlimited expenditure Assos do a triple layer system (with the outer being a 'lobster mitt).

Not cheap - and I can't vouch for them (or afford them) - but there are reviews:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-gloves---full-finger/assos-winter-glove-system_97.html

Three layers must be reasonably warm :?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    itguy2 wrote:
    The fox antifreeze ones sound like they're really good - might need to change my christmas order :)

miss notax - my wife has very small hands too and she has some specialized fingerless gloves but was looking at some gore wear ones that were XXS - might be worth checking out (they were winter gloves)
    The sizing is on the small side. The waterproof liner is a bit like goretex and is removable but it doesn't stretch much. The outer is neoprene and stretches a lot. If you are at all unsure I would go for a bigger size.

Having said that imo they are intended for people who don't have a medical condition and I'm not sure you would find them warm enough. I would have a look at the Assos Winter gloves they're expensive but warmer. I think these http://www.parker-international.co.uk/2 ... loves.html are the latest version
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I've also read that it's very important to keep your neck warm because this affects the temperature of the blood in the area around the hypothalamus, which regulates body temperature. (ie if the blood around the hypothalamus is cooler than it should be, it will reduce blood flow to the extremities to maintain core temperature.)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    itguy2 wrote:

Thank you - i'll have a look at those :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    ddraver wrote:
    They re not cycling specific but Buffalo tops are extremely good, very very warm

Buffalo used to do a cycle specific top, I know because I own one. It tapers to a point at the front and back and sports a crotch strap! :shock:
    I guess they wern't selling enough of them, but the combination of windproof Pertex shell and fibre-pile lining is extremely warm.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • I suffer from Raynauds and have done for so for quite some years now. I have Sealskin winter gloves, Endura strikes and various others. I take medication for this condition called Nifedipine in the 5mg capsules. If you take more than you should, it almost gives you the Ready Brek glow, but I wouldn't advise it.

In the colder months, I wear Better Than Silk socks under my Sealskin socks, or even just merino socks. I'm looking at getting some Woolie Boolies aswell.I'm not finding the sealskins to be too great to be honest.

I wear multiple breathable layers on my upper body and a waterproof shell if necessary, and so far, fingers crossed (if they'll work or have any feeling!) I have not had a problem this year. I also wear some Endura biblongs, and then baggy shorts over the top of that. Under my helmet I wear a Buff or if it's so cold a fleece balaclava.

That covers most bases. I have heard that silver lined gloves are very good aswell and the Raynauds Association in the US has some details about those. I have not looked for them in the UK to be honest.

Kris
  • In the roadie world of unlimited expenditure Assos do a triple layer system (with the outer being a 'lobster mitt).

Not cheap - and I can't vouch for them (or afford them) - but there are reviews:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-gloves---full-finger/assos-winter-glove-system_97.html

Three layers must be reasonably warm :?

I used this system last year and pretty poor for the money but then again I do suffer with cold hands but I have gloves a third the price and just as good.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    I suffer from Raynauld's as well, though not as badly as you by the sounds of it. Cold hands stop me riding in the winter before anything else.

This year it has finally dawned on me that I could wear the 'best' gloves on the market and still get cold hands and the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

A good long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a soft shell jacket that is wind proof/thermal on the arms as well as the body helps no end.

Rob

Thats a very good point, I'd also get some fine merino or silk liner gloves to wear underneath.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-45670

I wore them commuting home from work in the snow once and had to take them off, my hands were uncomfortably warm.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • another suffering sod here :)

Have the typical looks from gf of "omg your feet look like a dead mans!"

I was told it just to wear extra layors and no need for medication as im quite a active person and it might just go in future.

But atm im using Gore Xenon gloves, mainly because their windproofing is excellent, and i find wind is the biggest problem with feeling cold.

I have notice though as of recent that if it rains they arent great as they tend to soak up quite a lot, but apart from sub zero temps they are the BEST gloves i have had.

Shoes i wear sealskinz, which arent that amazing but when paired with a second inner sock ie marino/good wickering sock and a overshoe it doe work.

tbh overshoes are the biggest thing i noticed that make a differance.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • prawny wrote:
    I had some of these gore ones, I had to sell them as they were far far far to hot for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-45670

I wore them commuting home from work in the snow once and had to take them off, my hands were uncomfortably warm.

Thats partly why I suggested two pairs, you can take one off if you get too warm. How did I ever think of that!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20