best all round tyre

lawman76
lawman76 Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
looking to for a new set of tyres.something for all year round.read the review in mtb uk this month and was going to go for one of the top three specialized purgery control,rubber queen (folding £30), hans damph (folding £30) as my budget is around £30 per tyre.any advice would be helpfully. cheers :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All round tyres are definitely the best - those square ones are a bugger.
    Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. I use Maxxis Ignitor Exception series. Some one I know who really knows his sh1t swears by these, and bargain price.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bont ... 127081.htm
    If you get Continental make sure they are Black Chili compound all the rest are rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Out of your original 3, I can vouch for the purgatory, very good in all conditions.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    DodgeT wrote:
    Out of your original 3, I can vouch for the purgatory, very good in all conditions.
    +1
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All those tyres are good, but none as good value as the Xr4. Which I also think is the strongest option this time of year.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Depends what you ride. Down south where I ride it drains well and the all natural forest trails that I ride hold up really well.

For me those Hans Dampfs would be too much in all but the worst conditions. I use Nobby Nics (a toned down, lighter version of the HD) all through winter and swap to Ralphs sometimes during the summer.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've got some single ply minions that I've been happy with. Got front and rear but a lot of people run two front tyres.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ride at inners,gt or newcastleton.usually on trails.bikes a rockhopper if that helps.was swinging to the Schwalbe don't no if there is big difference between £30 or £50 options.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    At Glentress (and most other places) I normally ride with Maxxis Ardents and High Rollers 60A compound, all year round. When riding at Inners at this time of year I might switch to Minions, High Rollers or Ardents in Super Tacky compound.

I don't really ever run anything else. There's plenty of other (and probably better) options for the wintery gloop, but I don't ever ride in purely muddy conditions and don't have pockets deep enough to justify changing tyres any more than this.

I like Maxxis tyres in general as I find they last ok, I like the way the sizes come up, they are durable and give solid, predictable grip for most of the riding I do. In the past I've tried Schwalbes (Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph - good for XC) and various Contis (anything in Black Chili compound is good, anything else isn't).
  • GrenW wrote:
    Depends what you ride. Down south where I ride it drains well and the all natural forest trails that I ride hold up really well.

For me those Hans Dampfs would be too much in all but the worst conditions. I use Nobby Nics (a toned down, lighter version of the HD) all through winter and swap to Ralphs sometimes during the summer.

See this is where people differ, i wouldn't even use a nobby in summer as they have 0 grip on roots rocks in anything approaching a sneeze of water lol.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Use a Minion up front for all of this year, super tacky, it's a slog but it never ever lets go! Just bought an ardent looks similar in tread but reading a lot that they're not very good gripping unless you're pretty much horizontal. Tried a rocket ron the other day, not enough up front but plenty on the rear. Will get a high roller for the front for the summer, stick with the minion for the winter and run rocket ron or conti mountain king on the back all year round.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    lawman76 wrote:
    Ride at inners,gt or newcastleton.usually on trails.bikes a rockhopper if that helps.was swinging to the Schwalbe don't no if there is big difference between £30 or £50 options.

about twenty pounds.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... r-set.html

This deal is the best around by far, will be slapping some on my hardtail over winter
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    lawman wrote:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

This deal is the best around by far, will be slapping some on my hardtail over winter

I've got those waiting patiently to go on my bike at some point, cracking deal considering that one RRPs at 49.99 gbp and you're getting a pair for about that.

Bike-discount are generally the best place price wise for tyres, they do relatively cheap contis (esp black chilli Baron and Rubber Queens) as well as Maxxis and Schwable cheaper than most. I've got a wish list of about 15 tyres on there. i think i have a little bit of a rubber fetish :shock:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm gonna go for some hans dampfs (the link lawman posted). They get good reviews and they make sense for my riding. They might be a bit draggy on trail centre stuff, but i ride a lot of off piste more natural/local trails which can get pretty muddy and are generally pretty loose, rooty and rocky.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    MDobs wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

I've got those waiting patiently to go on my bike at some point, cracking deal considering that one RRPs at 49.99 gbp and you're getting a pair for about that.

Bike-discount are generally the best place price wise for tyres, they do relatively cheap contis (esp black chilli Baron and Rubber Queens) as well as Maxxis and Schwable cheaper than most. I've got a wish list of about 15 tyres on there. i think i have a little bit of a rubber fetish :shock:

My uni club is sponsored by conti and even after the huge discount we get bike discounts contis are cheaper!!!
  • just ordered a pair of bonty xr4s, thanks for the link cooldad was wanting them and not seen a price that good.
    sight 3 se
  • cooldad wrote:
    All round tyres are definitely the best - those square ones are a bugger.
    Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. I use Maxxis Ignitor Exception series. Some one I know who really knows his sh1t swears by these, and bargain price.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bont ... 127081.htm
    If you get Continental make sure they are Black Chili compound all the rest are rubbish.

Any idea if these are the TLR versions?
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm gonna go for some hans dampfs (the link lawman posted). They get good reviews and they make sense for my riding. They might be a bit draggy on trail centre stuff, but i ride a lot of off piste more natural/local trails which can get pretty muddy and are generally pretty loose, rooty and rocky.
    I've been running advantages most of the year but got some HDs from bike discount .. a bargain with the pace/trail combo. Tried them out on Lee Quarry and was very impressed. Since them I've used them in muddy conditions and been happy as you can be. I have some swampthings .... jesus they suck you into the centre of the earth ... really can't get on with them.
  • just ordered a pair of bonty xr4s, thanks for the link cooldad was wanting them and not seen a price that good.
    Are they the Team Issue ones? If so are you going to run 2.35 f & r ? Shame they don't do 2.20 in TI.
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • benpinnick
    I've got one on the back (2.2). V good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cheers for the link lawman.had to go with the hans dampfs at that price.
    lawman wrote:

• neilrosser wrote:
    just ordered a pair of bonty xr4s, thanks for the link cooldad was wanting them and not seen a price that good.
    Are they the Team Issue ones? If so are you going to run 2.35 f & r ? Shame they don't do 2.20 in TI.

aye. think they are the team issue. going to try f and rear. if it feels like it could be easier then ill get som sort of 2.2 for the rear and ive got a spare front waiting to go
    sight 3 se
  • benpinnick
    The 2.35 are great front and rear if your frame can take it. My blur was ok, but my zesty couldn't fit the 2.35 on the back, so I had to slim down to the 2.2
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    I went from Panaracer Fire XC Pro to Continental Mountain King II ProTection 2.2 + inner tubes (bought for a ripsnorting £60 from www.bike-discount.de). I had no confidence in the Panaracers: they were skittish; slippy, hard and lost grip without warning. The MKs two rides in have been fantastic. I find them far better than the Nobby Nics that I have on my FS. Perhaps I'm comparing chalk (hard type) with cheese (soft tyre), but I'll go MT the next time I need to buy tyres.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... ml?mfid=77
  • I'm not sure trying to find the best all round tyre is actually the best policy. I'd invest in a summer set for warm dry use and a winter set for cold wet use. Baring in mind they’ll all ware out eventually, you might as well fit something more suitable.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    I'm not sure trying to find the best all round tyre is actually the best policy. I'd invest in a summer set for warm dry use and a winter set for cold wet use. Baring in mind they’ll all ware out eventually, you might as well fit something more suitable.
    Where the hell do you live that's warm and dry in summer? Barbados?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The UK in March can be pretty hot......then 11 months of wet until next March.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wishfull thinking on my part.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'm not sure trying to find the best all round tyre is actually the best policy. I'd invest in a summer set for warm dry use and a winter set for cold wet use. Baring in mind they’ll all ware out eventually, you might as well fit something more suitable.
    Where the hell do you live that's warm and dry in summer? Barbados?
    Clue is in the location.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    Yeah I just figured you must have moved and forgotten to update it.
    Or that you are clinically insane
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools