Spearfish build, techincal issues, fork steerer length etc

2»

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    nicklouse wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    do you understand why it is important that the steerer is above the centerline of the bolt?

Yes mate, i'm not completely daft :)
    good to know you are only partly daft. :P

I'd say (after looking again) it's VERY much pretty much right on the middle. (Not above) the centerline of the top bolt..I guess it's going to come up as a bit of a discretion call on this lol

I'll drop into my mates on way home who's an engineer/spannerman/biker/cyclist and get his professional opinion etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should settle a little in use. but....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a lower stack headset, that 5mm (plus) could now be crucial, the FSA one on mine has only a 2.5mm stack underneath.

Hope (not that I'm a Hope Fanboi) are 11mm - most have a larger stack on top than below, on my commuter I can delete the decorative top cap which saves about 5mm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18084
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is what I have on my commuter, run without the top decorative cap, a standard spacers shields the bearings but won't prevent water getting in I guess.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 10157#tab1
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • weeksy59
    OK, going to drop into LBS i use on way home to confirm he's happy with it. Will also ask what he has that will reduce it a smidgen.

Thanks lads... don't think i dismiss your advice.. i do appreciate it all.
  • weeksy59
    Well, that's the bike done and ready.

Took to my lbs to check fork stuff and he's happpy.

Fitted rear brake.

Cable tied it all up etc. Lovely