Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    405 lines, that is all HD for baby boomers
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2012
    delete
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    pb21 wrote:
    Crescent wrote:
    It's one of the reasons I loathe newspapers, I don't need someone else forcing their opinion down my throat.

I never get this argument against newspapers, that you don’t need someone else's opinion forced down your throat. If you read something you don’t have to accept it as gospel. I have, heaven forbid, read the Daily Mail before, it didn’t turn me into a rabid racist sexist homophobe. In fact, if anything, it allowed me to come up with my own opinions and justifications why that kind of thinking and viewpoint is not what I agree with. Being more left wing orientated I normally read the Grauniad but I don’t read it and assume whatever it says is correct. Also I have read parts of the bible before, from a position of someone who doesn’t believe in a Christian God, and it didn’t turn me into a born again Christian.

As long as what ever you read or see you take in critical manner and you are able to think for yourself in a independent way, reading and listening to people’s opinions, both those you agree with and those you don’t is good thing.

I just think a lot of journalism is about provoking a reaction and not necessarily about putting across a genuine point of view, I choose not to indulge them. I have no problem with different opinions per se, it is, as you point out, very healthy.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • It's our Wedding Anniversary today, sixteen years, although I first wed forty years ago. Instead of going out for dinner, as has been our habit, we went out for lunch, no rush, plenty of space in the restaurant and home before dark. We must be getting old but sixteen years have sped past without us feeling any different.
    'fool'
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    "Not young. I'm 37 in April."

Bless. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Want to feel your age? go through your cd collection and look at the year they were released. Yes, that one was released 20 years ago! Didn't think it was over 10 years ago when you brought that best of? Yep, done that! How time flys :(
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • One particular moment I remember I had this getting on a bit feeling was last year when someone on the radio mentioned that the baby celebrated with the now famous cradle swinging motion by Bebeto and Romario after a Brazil goal in USA '94 had just signed his own professional contract in the Brazil domestic league. I could remember quite clearly watching that goal and celebration as it happened and thought fooking hell..it was 17yrs ago!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Anything up to 1992 is sometime ago
    93 up to 2000 feels like a while back
    2000-2008 is basically last month
    The last four years was last week, or was it the week before... I forget.
    I've got to use this for Facebook. Brilliant.

I got varifocals last week - I was feeling old until I went cycling with the club on Wednesday. I split from the main group for a faster ride with another guy, Brian. 50 hard miles later I ask him how old he is - 72 :shock: I thought I was doing well to keep up with him!
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I started to feel old the moment Phil Neville made his England debut. I was no longer younger than anyone in the England football team :( Watching entire football careers from start to finish also makes me feel old. I'm 37 next month and while still being attractive, :wink: I'm wondering when pretty young girls (not too young) will say **** off you old pervert. That will HURT!!

My laughter lines don't disappear when I'm not laughing anymore :(

I'm a child of 1973 and I've watched a generation of guys my own age become pros, have careers and then retire :shock:
    'My' generation included Hincapie, Ullrich and thankfully O'Grady. Why thankfully for Stuey? Because he's still rocking it as a pro and I'm clinging to the last vestiges of youthfulness while someone my own age is still a pro.

I found it bizarre at this summers Olympics to realise that Boardman winning his gold was 20 years ago. W.T.F? Barcelona was only a couple of Olympic cycles ago wasn't it?
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Anything up to 1992 is sometime ago
    93 up to 2000 feels like a while back
    2000-2008 is basically last month
    The last four years was last week, or was it the week before... I forget.
    I've got to use this for Facebook. Brilliant.

You'll probably appreciate the status update I made the other week then;

If my life was a computer game, I'd have sent it back by now with a note saying; "Sirs, this game is deeply flawed. Levels 1-12 seemed to take forever, levels 13-17 were very confusing, 18-23 were excellent but from 24 onwards I got stuck in an endless loop of drudgery and servitude. Furthermore, I couldn't work out how to defeat any of the bosses, and two small replicas of my character appeared and followed me everywhere, all my money kept vanishing. Please send me the Inherited Wealth edition so I have a chance of winning."
  • Peddle Up!
    You'll probably appreciate the status update I made the other week then;

If my life was a computer game, I'd have sent it back by now with a note saying; "Sirs, this game is deeply flawed. Levels 1-12 seemed to take forever, levels 13-17 were very confusing, 18-23 were excellent but from 24 onwards I got stuck in an endless loop of drudgery and servitude. Furthermore, I couldn't work out how to defeat any of the bosses, and two small replicas of my character appeared and followed me everywhere, all my money kept vanishing. Please send me the Inherited Wealth edition so I have a chance of winning."

Even worse I have heard accounts of people finding that the "New Life" button is inoperative. :?
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Scene 2; Conference call today. Lots of people from about the business, most I've never met and probably never will. The call is because things are going very wrong with a client. Being the account manager I have the unenviable task of getting shot at from both sides in trying to smooth out the issues caused by titanic jobsworthiness on both sides. 10 minutes into the call;
    ".you're doing a good job of keeping this under control" says someone to me
    "thanks, I'm changing my name to Red Adair"
    A silence of truly biblical proportions gate-crashes the call.
    "who?" someone eventually asks
    "doesn't matter... right, next item is"
    "Oh, I've found him on wikipedia... you're showing your age there"
    "yeah, thanks"

because I had no idea either
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    PB21, CiB, Davisee, I've tried 6 music. It's just too "look at us playing really cool music" for me. Can put up with it for a while before they start talking to bands about their music. I like listening to music, not listening to people talk about music. :?

Radio 2... I've tried, really hard. I don't mind Steve Wright in the afternoon. Just when I think I'll give Radio 2 another listen, they start playing a load of music that was released decades before I was born, and can't put up with. Ok some music from before I was born is great, but R2 don't play much of it.

I know, I'm hard to please. :|
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    If you want to feel young again (and you're a 90s indie kid like me), then look at the cover of NME every week - 50% of the cover photos are of bands from the 80s or 90s. If you're a bit older, look at Q.

All of which says a lot about the state of music today.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    y33stu wrote:
    PB21, CiB, Davisee, I've tried 6 music. It's just too "look at us playing really cool music" for me. Can put up with it for a while before they start talking to bands about their music. I like listening to music, not listening to people talk about music. :?

Radio 2... I've tried, really hard. I don't mind Steve Wright in the afternoon. Just when I think I'll give Radio 2 another listen, they start playing a load of music that was released decades before I was born, and can't put up with. Ok some music from before I was born is great, but R2 don't play much of it.

I know, I'm hard to please. :|
    In which case you need t'ínternet radio. Or you are right up that creek....

Or go old skool - Mix tapes (CDs).

Or modern day - Phone connect and music playlists.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    johnfinch wrote:
    If you want to feel young again (and you're a 90s indie kid like me), then look at the cover of NME every week - 50% of the cover photos are of bands from the 80s or 90s. If you're a bit older, look at Q.

All of which says a lot about the state of music today.

I don't think that music has evolved much in the last 20-30 years. There hasn't been a drastic change like there was in the 50s and 60s and I think that everything worth doing has been done.
  • When my son was 5 (he's now nearly 21 - ouch!) we were moving house, and he came across my record collection which had mostly been stored in boxes.
    "Wow Dad!" he exclaimed "look at the size of these CD's!"

Now we don't even have a CD player......

I remember the good old days...when pals could throw up on your vinyl and it farked the cartridge up... when a power meter on your Denon amp was super-cool, and when cassette decks had fluorescent level meters.... sigh.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

At my recent 50th one of the girls in the office was appalled - "my dad's the same age as you" she observed, somewhat less than helpfully :shock:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    "my dad's the same age as you" she observed, somewhat less than helpfully :shock:

To which the response "yes, I'm old enough to be your boyfriend" with a sleazy wink comes in handy.
  • Im 48 and I got my first set of varifocals this year, but i knew i was old last christmas when John Lewis used a Smiths cover.

Surely you can just put a record on if you dont like the music on your transistor radio.
  • Given up trying to be young, only listen to radio 3 now.
  • It seems to me your age in your head never seems to equate to your actual age. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I felt old when I was in the students union the other week, and realised that the current crop of freshers were 14 when I was a fresher.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • I'd sooner be not young and getting old, than not young and NOT getting old. If you get my drift.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Im 48 and I got my first set of varifocals this year, but i knew i was old last christmas when John Lewis used a Smiths cover.

Surely you can just put a record on if you dont like the music on your transistor radio.

Actually, on that note, if you'll excuse the pun, sometime before last father's day a TV advert was blaring out a load of hits from my era (late 80s, early 90s) - Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, The Farm, and so on. I paused on my way through the living room to watch, thinking 'ooh, sounds good, I might get that'. An actor is dressed in baggies with curtain haircut. 'heh, yeah, those were the days' thinks I.

Said advert draws to a close;

"Take your Dad right back with the ultimate Father's Day Album featuring the greatest hits from his youth"

Another little part of me died
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    It seems to me your age in your head never seems to equate to your actual age. :lol:

Exactly - you've always been a grumpy old git :wink:
  • Peddle Up!
    I'd sooner be not young and getting old, than not young and NOT getting old. If you get my drift.

This. :(

On the plus side, the older you get, the more women you find attractive. :D
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    I'd sooner be not young and getting old, than not young and NOT getting old. If you get my drift.
    Like a Vampire. Gotcha 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I now feel old in the gym. I try to run like I did 10 years ago but now end up with aches and pains the next day, it's frustrating my mind wants to run but my body says no. Mind you I bet we on here are fitter than most of the youths I work with.

I find another indicator of age is the type of women you go for. From students, to women in pubs, to women with children, to divorcees.

Somebody on here mentioned the Falklands War.... A guy I worked with said he thought the Falklands were off west Scotland by Skye or Lewis and people refused to buy tins of corned beef from the shop (as if that would make a difference :-) ) I was 2.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Im 48 and I got my first set of varifocals this year, but i knew i was old last christmas when John Lewis used a Smiths cover.

You know you're old when a trannie is something you listen to music on. On medium wave.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I'm wondering when pretty young girls (not too young) will say **** off you old pervert. That will HURT!! (

I don't want to worry you unduly, but the next 2 phases of life are even worse:

1. Pretty young girls don't even notice you exist, except occasionally to offer you their seat on a train or bus,

and then

2. You stop being bothered.

And, the even more worse news is that will all happen in the mere blink of an eye. ;-)