Hip Replacement!

LiamW
LiamW Posts: 358
Has anyone on here had one? I'm due a total left hip replacement before February next year all being well, i was just wondering if anyone else had it done. At this moment in time i've been off the bike since June and unable to ride any type of bike because of the pain, walking is also very painful so i'm limited in what i can really do to try and keep the weight gain at bay. Problem is my job is basically sitting on my arse all day and i'm trying to restrict my calorie intake to offset the lack of exercise.

I'm debating weather to join the local gym and use the weight machines and the pool, but i'm wondering if swimming alone will be enough. :?

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Have you tried googling 'Cycling after a hip replacement'. Also consider changing your crank length.Push lower gears.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • LiamW
    Yeah mate done that, this is just me asking if anyone else has ever had had and the recovery etc.

Doesn't matter what crank length i use, the hip is shot to pieces and needs sorted. Just turning the cranks causes severe pain, but thanks for the reply anyway.
  • pcb24
    pcb24 Posts: 98
    LiamW I would advise that you see a physio and get a good rehab programme. There shouldn't be any harm in swimming but I would definitely see a health pro before doing too much in the gym. A physio also has many good "hands on" techniques they can use which can help with the pain. Good luck with your hip op.
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    A gent in our club had a hip replaced at age 68. He was back on the bike in 12 weeks. Fear not.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • LiamW
    I've had a word with a local physio who will sort me out with a few stretches and exercises for when i get the hip replaced. I started swimming, i'm only up to 10 lengths atm but don't want to do too much to be honest. Also started a little light upper body weights just to keep the strength and muscle tone up during the oncoming down time.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Few years ago I was on a shop ride and noticed the bloke next to me at least ten years older than me in has fifties had flat bars on his bike. Got talking to him and he said he'd had a hip replacement and didn't like going down on the drops any more- he still dropped me when we came to the first hill!