Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclists

2»

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    EssieP wrote:
    "Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclists"
    RUBBISH!
    They give a bad name to cyclists without lights, not the rest of us.

I resent being blamed for the behaviour of negligent/careless/stupid/criminal cyclists.
    Me too!
    You CANNOT blame me for an offense caused by someone else.
    but an irrational motorist (of which I suggest there are a few) will, be they right or wrong, and they will generalise this so that they can rationalise their poor treatment of us all.
  • EssieP
    EssieP Posts: 25
    I raised this point after watching that BBC dcumentary last night - "War on Britain's Roads". BBC-1, see it on iPlayer.
  • alfablue
    seen it, and I think the bad attitude of some motorists to cyclists illustrate my point.
  • Hi guys I have an issue and would like some advice,

I have forgotten my bikes front light (morning rush :/) and I'm not sure if I should make the 12 mile commute without having a front light?

the First 2 miles are on a country lane with no lights and this is what worrys me I have a good back light and a reflective jacket but hey are only going to get me so far.
  • EssieP
    EssieP Posts: 25
    Hi guys I have an issue and would like some advice,

I have forgotten my bikes front light (morning rush :/) and I'm not sure if I should make the 12 mile commute without having a front light?

the First 2 miles are on a country lane with no lights and this is what worrys me I have a good back light and a reflective jacket but hey are only going to get me so far.
    Are you still alive, or did you walk home?
  • Got a lift of my line manager I don't want to be one of the "bad" cyclist and I've got to think about other peoples safety.
  • alfablue
    how about getting a small spare set that you can keep in your work bag for such eventualities? My g/f got the Lezyne Femto set to keep in her bag. They are 20% off at Rutland Cycling with this code 'LEZYNE20' (ends today).

55569_1_SuperSize.jpg
  • How strong are they, my main issue would be trying to avoid the mass amount of pot holes on the way out of the 2 mile stretch of forest.
  • alfablue
    How strong are they, my main issue would be trying to avoid the mass amount of pot holes on the way out of the 2 mile stretch of forest.
    They are strictly "be seen" lights, they won't help you see much; anything that will suit unlit roads will be big and therefore less likely to be spares that you carry around all the time "just in case".
  • alfablue wrote:
    How strong are they, my main issue would be trying to avoid the mass amount of pot holes on the way out of the 2 mile stretch of forest.
    They are strictly "be seen" lights, they won't help you see much; anything that will suit unlit roads will be big and therefore less likely to be spares that you carry around all the time "just in case".

They also last about 10 hours on a set of non-rechargables and don't have light exiting from the side - so basically useless, cute though.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • alfablue
    Point is, they're backup, so keep in your bag. Keep a rechargeable battery in your bag for 6 months and don't expect any juice after 6 months!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Planet X skull type LED on the front of the helmet (£1.50) and the back, also one on the handlebars and one on the backpack. 120db air horn on the handlebars if they still don't see. Sorted.
    Although I think you're just as stupid, if not more, for riding without a helmet, one fukup and your head will crack like an egg.
  • Well I just saw one of these dudes knocked off on a roundabout in Norwich. He got up and apologized to the driver (he was taking the third exit and riding in the gutter of the left hand lane as well) Hopefully he'll invest in some lights now. Disagree with the whole no lights gives us a bad name, bit to Daily Hale really. There are plenty of dumb drivers who don't use lights/wear seatbelts/speed/jump red lights etc etc doesn't make me think they're all twats though, just some of them.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Well I just saw one of these dudes knocked off on a roundabout in Norwich. He got up and apologized to the driver (he was taking the third exit and riding in the gutter of the left hand lane as well) Hopefully he'll invest in some lights now. Disagree with the whole no lights gives us a bad name, bit to Daily Hale really. There are plenty of dumb drivers who don't use lights/wear seatbelts/speed/jump red lights etc etc doesn't make me think they're all twats though, just some of them.
    Agreed.
    Improper use of lights (foglights on all the time seems to have become 'cool'...the tw@ts/
    Cyclops drivers, one headlight out. Apparently someone excused it by raising the fact that some headlights can cost £200 plus to replace. TOUGH...shouldnt have brought the car in the first place, no excuse.
    Red light gamblers...this has become a real problem where i live.
    Tailgaters...idiots.
    I'm no perfect driver, but i won't be an apologist for bad cyc;ists. They're tw@ts, just as many drivers are.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Hey, I even use lights during the day. But then I have a fear of getting run over.

Anyone from Leeds? I've spent Christmas and New Year there and was shocked at the amount of cyclists in Leeds city centre with

-No helmet
    -No lights
    -No reflectives
    -Dark clothes
    -On one of the most busiest roads I've seen.

When I was in Leeds, I had a look in a cycle store. My eyes were that dazzled by an Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket, that I bought one. And the Altura night vision bib tights too.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    RobertSims wrote:
    Evolution will get its way - stupid people will get run over! Just hope don't drag me into it though! Complete numpties

LOL brilliant comment, really funny rant for the OP :)
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    This thread reminds me of the Daily Mail. Get a grip for gods sake.