Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclists

Thebigbee
Thebigbee Posts: 570
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
I'm sorry but this is a major pet hate for me. Especially seeing that you can get a lightset for a fiver or a better one for a tenner.

There really is no excuse. Most car drivers are alright, as long as they can see you. But that terrible 20% or so will only justify their terrible driving towards cyclists because of these pr1c5s that don't bother with lights.

Sod all the arguments about flashing lights. The point is just moot. It is just the bell ends who have off road lights and use them on road angled as if they are still off - that cause problems.

I only mention it because some cunit without lights caused me to crash the other day, didn't bother stopping, and has cost me around £500 damage to my bike.

This morning, at around 6.30 AM so still very dark, was riding along on a cyclepath with lights that are visible from at least 500 metres away - probably further when as dark as it was.

Some cretin, all helmeted up and obviously couldn't miss me, but without any lights, instead of moving to the left of the path, which I was on, put his not worth protecting head down and raced towards me to play chicken.

Funnily he lost and hopefully gave his pointless lid a good test.

He started shouting some guff in foreign from his muddy bed. I told him to use some lights, laughed, and rode off feeling somewhat vindicated that it was either him or one of his equally moronic pals that caused me to have a big off - and cost me a load of money.

It may just be me, as 90% of the time I don't wear a helmet although near on 100% of the time I run lights - even in the day. But quite how dumb must you be to wear a helmet but go out on your bike at 6.30 - either A or PM on your bike, without lights?

It's like you want to test your lid out isn't it?

I hope he has damaged his bike but more importantly learnt a valuable lesson to use lights. But I'm not too sure a cretin like that will have done.

Clothesline for the next fcukwit who tries it on!!!!

Comments

• That was rant and a half. I could almost see you frothing at the mouth, but I feel your pain.

I have a small - but nonetheless very busy - intersection right by my flat. It's cycleville here mixed in with loads of buses and cars, and I can honestly say that despite how busy and potentially dangerous the junction is there is a distinct lack of lights or helmets anywhere. It's as if some people have a death wish (and don't even get me started on the amount of eediots that cycle through red lights even though it's a blind corner from all directions ie you can't see traffic coming from the right or left of you)!

I also regularly see folk around my way at night time in dark clothes, no helmet and no lights, cycling very precariously one handed while on the phone. Very clever.

I think we all know that pedestrians, lorries, buses, cars,vans, other cyclists regularly pull out on us even when we've got mega lumens coming out our backsides, so God only knows what happens to these nonchalant ninjas on bikes with the ancient power to blend into any background.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • ojo
    ojo Posts: 15
    Yeah, will join in the rant. Went for a run around the local park and three out of four cyclists had no lights. This was about 7pm.

I would not have the nerve, or stupidity.
  • Evolution will get its way - stupid people will get run over! Just hope don't drag me into it though! Complete numpties
    Triban 3
  • Agree with all the prior points raised! I walk down Tooley Street everyday to get to London Bridge and the amount of idiots without lights, on an extremely busy road, it's utterly mindblowing. You see all kinds of bikes and riders yet very little light activity.

Same goes for traffic lights too. The amount of people who just saunter through red lights is stupid. And when you shout "RED LIGHT" at them, you just get a mouthful! I'm one of you guys!!
  • Yeah this is a bugbear of mine too.

The majority of london cyclists seem to have lights...but because there are so many that means there's a fair few who don't...and on cycle paths I use especially it's a nightmare as even with a pretty good front light I don't see them until the last minute - I have 3 lanes of dual carriageway cars with their headlights in my face on my way home - I need people to have lights. They seem to think they don't need them on a cycle path. They are idiots.

Plenty don't have them in traffic too, the worst being the other day.

Now it's pretty rare for me to see a cycle filtering through traffic in rush hour on the 3 lane dual carriageway I just mentioned (its the A13). I was pretty shocked (but impressed) when I first saw one a couple of years back. Every few months I'll see one - always a road bike, always going pretty fast (more than keeping up with traffic) and if dark, always with lights. Now it's not something I'd do myself - think they're mad as f**k, but good luck to them, they don't bother me (I also use this road when I'm on my vespa btw)

Anyway, 2 days ago, casual cyclist (cheap mountain bike), heavy traffic, dressed mostly in black, no lights, no reflectors, no f**king clue at all. Seriously I despair at some people :)
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Living in the south near Portsmouth - People don't have lights in the crappy estates, the ammount of times I've told the scum to get off their bike and that it's illegal to be riding with lights I just get shouted at. The police do bugger all to combat this - next i'll be getting spike strips to use on them!
    Going along the a32 and following with someone with no lights is a joke aswell, I go out late at night and I ensure that I have lights on my bike, even if my lights were £9 a set from planet x, I can still be seen from a good distance away!
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • I'm a big fan of, well, Big Lights.

I'd add that it's just as bad, almost worse, when you see the numpties with lights but with basically dead batteries. ie, they seem to think they're lit up, but in actual fact are not, and I reckon that's even worse as you won't be conscious that nobody can see you.
  • Cyclists with no lights are annoying, for sure, but not as annoying as cyclists who have ludicrously bright lights, or lights set to strobe (usually both)

Not being seen is one thing, but actively blinding and disorientating everyone is much, much worse! I had one of these mobile discos behind me last night, and even the reflection from the road was doing my head in, so I slowed to get them in front and out of my eyes. That crap should be illegal. I dread to think what it does to people with epilepsy.
  • Saw a cyclist on Monday who had lights at the back no lights at the front! I was crossing the road to get to my tube station and lights at the front for lemming peds are just as important as being seen from behind!

On my commute this morning, saw a fellow cyclist (older chap - maybe late 40s to early 50s decked in all the right gear on his tourer with lights) and then RLJ 'ing ! At his age, he should know better!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • spatuluk wrote:
    Cyclists with no lights are annoying, for sure, but not as annoying as cyclists who have ludicrously bright lights, or lights set to strobe (usually both)

Not being seen is one thing, but actively blinding and disorientating everyone is much, much worse! I had one of these mobile discos behind me last night, and even the reflection from the road was doing my head in, so I slowed to get them in front and out of my eyes. That crap should be illegal. I dread to think what it does to people with epilepsy.

Have to disagree with this one. NO lights versus flashing and too bright lights - Hmmm

As a road user I'd much prefer to actually be able to SEE a cyclist.

No lights = not visible = HUGE tit.

Terrible lights = VISIBILE = may be a tit - but visible.
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    spatuluk wrote:
    Cyclists with no lights are annoying, for sure, but not as annoying as cyclists who have ludicrously bright lights, or lights set to strobe (usually both)

Have to disagree with this one. NO lights versus flashing and too bright lights - Hmmm

As a road user I'd much prefer to actually be able to SEE a cyclist.

No lights = not visible = HUGE tit.

Terrible lights = VISIBILE = may be a tit - but visible.

How can you say that now, when in your initial post you say:
    It is just the bell ends who have off road lights and use them on road angled as if they are still off - that cause problems.

Unless you've misunderstood what an offroad light is?

And what's with the helmet rant? You didn't have enough other stuff to rant about so you thought you'd chuck that in there for good measure?

And you are calling someone stupid for not putting lights on, but admit to running red lights "near on 100% of the time"

Your attempts at trolling are becoming more and more obvious with every thread you post.
  • Saw a cyclist on Monday who had lights at the back no lights at the front! !

This is funny. You've all been asking questions I ask myself on a daily basis, and to be honest, am still baffled by.

@ littleprawn. Agreed. I'm sure it makes sense in their eyes (obviously, duh), but to me - and probably the rest of the planet - it sure doesn't. Why the hell would you only want to be seen from the back? Hold up...I'm not going to waste any brain matter trying to fathom it.

@BigLights. Agreed. I had to chuckle reading your comment because again I often see people with rear lights that produce less illumination than a lit cigarette, and I feel like screaming "For the love of God, CHANGE THE BATTERY!!!!". It's either that or they have a bright rear light that may as well not be there because its hidden under the back of their coat which is flapping in the wind.

Man, I love Hackney!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • I'm afraid to say that I may well be one of the hated superbright lights guys you chaps don't like....but I commute through central London, in the dark, in teh winter, and I'm so fkn tired of SMIDSYs or, even worse, intentional blocking of lanes, that I take comfort in dominating the visual spectrum and unleashing my light cannons in the mirrors of wayward motor vehicles. They are, in my defense, angled down so not too bad at a distance, just perfect for getting someone's attention in a car mirror. When you know for a fact they've clocked you there is no excuse on their side.

I also think cyclists can often be a bit optimistic about the power of their front lights. Somethign I learned on my motorbike. If you're riding along, in the dark winter rain, in front of a bus with its headlights on, is car pulling out of a junction REALLY going to see you? Methinks not. Unless, of course, you have BigLights.

So, I'm sorry to the folks who I offend but I do try to be as polite as possible.
  • BigLights wrote:
    I'm afraid to say that I may well be one of the hated superbright lights guys you chaps don't like....but I commute through central London, in the dark, in teh winter, and I'm so fkn tired of SMIDSYs or, even worse, intentional blocking of lanes, that I take comfort in dominating the visual spectrum and unleashing my light cannons in the mirrors of wayward motor vehicles. They are, in my defense, angled down so not too bad at a distance, just perfect for getting someone's attention in a car mirror. When you know for a fact they've clocked you there is no excuse on their side.

I also think cyclists can often be a bit optimistic about the power of their front lights. Somethign I learned on my motorbike. If you're riding along, in the dark winter rain, in front of a bus with its headlights on, is car pulling out of a junction REALLY going to see you? Methinks not. Unless, of course, you have BigLights.

So, I'm sorry to the folks who I offend but I do try to be as polite as possible.

+1

On my commute home, I saw a few more cyclists with no front lights and sprouting just a rear red light! Cyclists in London can really make your blood boil and collectively I would say there are 6/10 cyclists I see who do not have proper lights in the dark and RJL! :x :evil: :evil:
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • Had one the other day swear at me because he was riding on the wrong side of the road without lights!!!.. so when i neally crashed into me because i dodnt see him, he started abusing me!!! nice
  • BigLights wrote:
    They are, in my defense, angled down so not too bad at a distance, just perfect for getting someone's attention in a car mirror. When you know for a fact they've clocked you there is no excuse on their side.

Angled down is the key... I had the misfortune of meeting someone with a superbright light on a country road for the first time (I was driving a car at the time), and if that guy thought he was safer with me coming round a bend to find myself blinded, heading towards him at 40, and no longer sure where the road is, then he's kidding himself.
  • BigLights wrote:
    They are, in my defense, angled down so not too bad at a distance, just perfect for getting someone's attention in a car mirror. When you know for a fact they've clocked you there is no excuse on their side.

Angled down is the key... I had the misfortune of meeting someone with a superbright light on a country road for the first time (I was driving a car at the time), and if that guy thought he was safer with me coming round a bend to find myself blinded, heading towards him at 40, and no longer sure where the road is, then he's kidding himself.

Well you say that - only I had an angry motorist flashing his main beam at me because my light (Magicshine 808e on LOW) was pointed down. Only I was coming over the brow of a hill and he was too dumb to realise that the light will actually point towards him when he is below a light pointed down.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Well you say that - only I had an angry motorist flashing his main beam at me because my light (Magicshine 808e on LOW) was pointed down. Only I was coming over the brow of a hill and he was too dumb to realise that the light will actually point towards him when he is below a light pointed down.
    Yeah.. I have a question mark over whether those wide angled flood type lights can ever be angled down enough not to dazzle mind you (contrast with a good shaped beam like a Philips Saferide) - but that's another discussion all together.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Well you say that - only I had an angry motorist flashing his main beam at me because my light (Magicshine 808e on LOW) was pointed down. Only I was coming over the brow of a hill and he was too dumb to realise that the light will actually point towards him when he is below a light pointed down.
    Yeah.. I have a question mark over whether those wide angled flood type lights can ever be angled down enough not to dazzle mind you (contrast with a good shaped beam like a Philips Saferide) - but that's another discussion all together.

Not had a motorist show displeasure about my MJ808 yet. I do have it angled fairly well down.
    Boardman CX Team
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    From what I've seen, it seems to be people riding a bike, not proper cyclists, who don't bother with lights. This morning I passed a bloke riding on the pavement with a front light but no rear light, why? Lights can be brought fairly cheap.
    If my front flashing light is too bright or distracting, tough! As long as I'm seen, its all that matters. I commute in lit-up areas so My front light is to be seen not for me to see. Having reflective/high viz bits about you also helps to get you seen.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    It's one of my pet hates as well. £8.00 from Morrisons or Tesco, yet they will rather spend that on beer or fags.
    I usually brush them as I pass and shout "LIGHTS" as loud as I can. It's caused a few to fall off, as well as the one I deliverately ram.
    My lights weren't expensive, I have the "Torch" 4 LED ones front and rear flashing, and a 3 LED Halfords one on the front as well, the £24.00 one, plus a very bright LED head torch which also has a small red one on the battery pack at the rear. I use rechargeables and although not so bright to see with they are bright enough to be seen Recharge them every weekend or two.

As our friend ArdyOCD from Skatesville above says, the scum from the Estates, especially Buckland, Paulsgrove etc, are the usual idiots who you really WANT to see knocked off.3

As to lights being too bright? Tough. If you see a light that is bright then you turn your head away towards the kerb and slow down, THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE TAUGHT TO DO WHEN YOU LEARN TO DRIVE.
    If you are a cyclist that has BRIGHT type lights, then ANGLE THEM DOWN, about 10-15ft in front of you. If you dazzle someone then ypou MAY cause an accident. The laws state do not use any lights in a way that would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

So, it's down to education.

But my favourite is looking directly at a car driver waiting to emerge from a junction with the full beam of my LED helmet light in his face. That'll make the bastard see me. :twisted:
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • So in one breath you say:
    fret wrote:
    If you are a cyclist that has BRIGHT type lights, then ANGLE THEM DOWN, about 10-15ft in front of you. If you dazzle someone then ypou MAY cause an accident. The laws state do not use any lights in a way that would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

Then immediately after you go on to say:
    fret wrote:
    But my favourite is looking directly at a car driver waiting to emerge from a junction with the full beam of my LED helmet light in his face. That'll make the bastard see me. :twisted:

That's putting aside all the other absolute guff you spouted before that.
  • Since I started reading this thread I've noticed half a dozen cyclists daily on my evening commute or travels around at night. It's like there's a hardcore group of people with a deathwish. The ages vary, some are clearly self-conscious and others are blissfully ignorant or just don't care.

No wonder long-term members of this forum go bonkers. Those people are mental.
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    fret wrote:
    It's one of my pet hates as well. £8.00 from Morrisons or Tesco, yet they will rather spend that on beer or fags.
    I usually brush them as I pass and shout "LIGHTS" as loud as I can. It's caused a few to fall off, as well as the one I deliverately ram.
    My lights weren't expensive, I have the "Torch" 4 LED ones front and rear flashing, and a 3 LED Halfords one on the front as well, the £24.00 one, plus a very bright LED head torch which also has a small red one on the battery pack at the rear. I use rechargeables and although not so bright to see with they are bright enough to be seen Recharge them every weekend or two.

As our friend ArdyOCD from Skatesville above says, the scum from the Estates, especially Buckland, Paulsgrove etc, are the usual idiots who you really WANT to see knocked off.3

As to lights being too bright? Tough. If you see a light that is bright then you turn your head away towards the kerb and slow down, THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE TAUGHT TO DO WHEN YOU LEARN TO DRIVE.

Where abouts are you then? I come up and down the road round to Portsmouth, Fareham and Gosport. Another annoyance is the Chav cyclist that can't close their legs because they aren't riding a bike thats the right size for them, or that they need to air the buildup of cheese between them, and that they can't cycle in a straight line for more than 2 metres. They could just get 1 police officer to go about on a bike and give people on the spot fines for not having lights, it would earn their wages and the cost of having them in an instant - infact, I'd do it for them if I got to keep 10% of the profits!. Specially if they stood down the high streets that have "no cycling" signs up every 20 metres - they can't even read pictures!
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • ArdyOCD wrote:
    They could just get 1 police officer to go about on a bike and give people on the spot fines for not having lights, ...
    Careful what you wish for: with the requirement to have BS-certified lights and only 1 or 2 lights on the market actually being certified, we'd all be screwed.
  • mybreakfastconsisted
    mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
    edited December 2012
    fret wrote:

You deliberately ram people whose riding offends you, and you've just admiited it on a public forum?

You sir, are a silly person.

edited to remove amore colourful insult
  • RobertSims wrote:
    Evolution will get its way - stupid people will get run over! Just hope don't drag me into it though! Complete numpties

1/

Cyclists without lights are fools.

2/

Unlite cyclists feature in fewer than 2% of accidents.

There are, frankly,other things to worry about.
  • FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    I commute along the Union Canal near Edinburgh and the number of people cycling along a towpath, in total darkness as it is unlit at a lot of places, without lights is quite shocking. They really must have a death wish, it would be all too easy to end up in the freezing canal because they another cyclist or something on the towpath...

They quite often get some verbal abuse from me, especially the ones in dark clothing with no lights who seem to come out of nowhere! It's worse on the way home because I'm on the left of the towpath next to the water, I'd be the likely candidate to end up in there if I was hit....
  • FJJ wrote:
    I commute along the Union Canal near Edinburgh and the number of people cycling along a towpath, in total darkness as it is unlit at a lot of places, without lights is quite shocking. They really must have a death wish, it would be all too easy to end up in the freezing canal because they another cyclist or something on the towpath...

They quite often get some verbal abuse from me, especially the ones in dark clothing with no lights who seem to come out of nowhere! It's worse on the way home because I'm on the left of the towpath next to the water, I'd be the likely candidate to end up in there if I was hit....

Chances are they won't have heard you cos their iPods were on too loud.....
  • EssieP
    EssieP Posts: 25
    "Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclists"
    RUBBISH!
    They give a bad name to cyclists without lights, not the rest of us.

I resent being blamed for the behaviour of negligent/careless/stupid/criminal cyclists.
    You CANNOT blame me for an offense caused by someone else.