Heart rate confusion??

GT_Dave
GT_Dave Posts: 161
Hi all, (done a search and i am sure this has been covered before but my work computer doesnt seem to let me view search results?)

Im a bit confused with the heart rate thing…..

My Maximum heart rate is 185 I think, 220 minus 35 (my age)

Therefore I think that my 90% is 167
80% is 148
70% is 130
60% is 111
50% is 93

What rate should I aim to work at to?

1. Improve aerobic fitness
2. burn fat
3. Lower my resting heart rate

At the minute i just ride or run as fast as I can then stop, I want to structure my fitness a bit more.

Can anyone help?

Cheers :D

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    If you intend on using HR, forget the theory, you need to find your true MHR (or LT HR), google MHR test or LT HR test
  • Yes don't rely too heavily on the 220 minus age thing. It's not personal enough. I', 52, female and my max is 186!! and my LT is around 166 i.e. almost 90%

But as a start you could use the numbers you have. Do most of your riding between 70 & 80% - longer sessions lower end , shorter session 1-2 hours upper. See how it feels - too easy? HR Max is probably higher. Far too hard - HRmax is lower. But by far the best thing is to find out what your max is - not nice or recommended if you are new to exercise. A well paced hard 20 minutes will give you something close to LT - but once again pacing adn hard enough is tricky if you are new.