Make me a sammich!

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Come on then, what's the pinnacle of sandwichy perfection, in your view?

Mine would be pastrami, cream-cheese and beetroot in a granary baguette with various salady-bits. Mmmmm...

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Turkey, stuffing, crisps on thick home made white bread with unsalted butter. Because a turkey sandwich is for lunch, not just for Boxing Day.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Emmental, english mustard, fresh lettuce, rocket and tomatoes.....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    BBB Ultrasammich; Bacon, Brie and Black Pudding. Container is variable but at the moment I'm quite partial to it in a warm pita pocket.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There used to be a sandwich place around the corner from us at work, Fuzzies Grub who's main premise was to get an entire roast dinner between 2 bits of bread. So you had beef, roast potatoes, peas, carrots, yorkshire pud, gravy and horseradish sauce. Turkey sandwich was similar to MsMancunia's but was turkey, stuffing, potato, veg (carrots, peas and sprouts), cranberry sauce, red-currant jelly, chipolata, bacon and gravy.

Now those were sandwiches.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Holy crap that is a Manwich. I am liking the sound of msmancunia.

I have a thing at the moment for Salted Beef and Mustard on granary. Or the local sandwich shop do a very good Cajun chicken as well.

You cannot beat a good Crisp Sandwich though.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I had a christmas baguette today, turkey, sage & onion stuffing, bacon and cranberry sauce on it.

It wasn't that nice but that is probably because it was from Asda so the baguette was soft and there was so much stuffing I couldn't taste anything else :(
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited November 2012
    White bread, Real Butter, Golden Wonder salt and vinegar crisps.

or

White Bread, Real Butter, Fish Fingers, Tomato Ketchup

or

White Bread, Real Butter, Proper Crispy Chips, Tomato Ketchup
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    There used to be a sandwich place around the corner from us at work, Fuzzies Grub who's main premise was to get an entire roast dinner between 2 bits of bread. So you had beef, roast potatoes, peas, carrots, yorkshire pud, gravy and horseradish sauce. Turkey sandwich was similar to MsMancunia's but was turkey, stuffing, potato, veg (carrots, peas and sprouts), cranberry sauce, red-currant jelly, chipolata, bacon and gravy.

now that brings back memories. my god its amazing. seriously amazing.

was like a subway takeaway but for a roast dinner in a bun!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Ahhh, Fuzzy's
    Surefire way to make sure no work was done in the afternoon.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • twist83
    Guessing this place no longer exists...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    twist83 wrote:
    It does, just reserved for special occasions when there's a mighty tailwind.
    http://www.fuzzysgrub.co.uk/
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • twist83
    I see they have a lot of shops. I cannot access the Menu's strangely at work but I am excited.

I am in London saturday so I will be all over this assuming they open on Saturdays :(
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Come on then, what's the pinnacle of sandwichy perfection, in your view?

Mine would be pastrami, cream-cheese and beetroot in a granary baguette with various salady-bits. Mmmmm...

I think you just described sick on bread. Each to his own.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Crisp white baguette. No butter or mayo. Coronation Chicken. A line of tabasco. Covered with a sprinkle of grated mature cheddar cheese, grinded black pepper, freshly shredded iceburg lettuce.

Amazing....
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Damn you notsoblue

I have that page bookmarked waiting for the right time.

http://www.lolbrary.com/post/17833/how- ... -sandwich/
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Tomato & avo on white bread, lots of butter, cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Bonus points for getting the avos fresh from the tree in the backyard :)
  • rubertoe
    jamesco wrote:
    Tomato & avo on white bread, lots of butter, cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Bonus points for getting the avos fresh from the tree in the backyard :)

Fail. :!:

See either mine or NSB posts.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Was In London yesterday.
    Brick lane bagel bake. Best bagels bar non, nothing like the doughnut shaped usual crap.

They do a very good salt beef, wally and mustard bagel but you can't beat their smoked salmon, cream cheese bagel. Proper fresh fast food and only £1.50 a pop.
    Not changed for the 20 years I've been going.
    Enough to make you convert!
    Peter
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Fuzzies next to our office closed recently.. :(

A good BLT takes some beating, athough I am partial to a chip butty.

As school kids we had a place near us (which for people of non-Northern origin might not mean much) which did half a stotty cake filled with chips, and on top you could have beans, or sausage. Now that was summit' else. :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • msmancunia
    Asprilla wrote:
    BBB Ultrasammich; Bacon, Brie and Black Pudding. Container is variable but at the moment I'm quite partial to it in a warm pita pocket.

I definitely have to try that one. (black pudding and mayonnaise are also lovely butties)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    twist83 wrote:
    It does, just reserved for special occasions when there's a mighty tailwind.
    http://www.fuzzysgrub.co.uk/
    Hadn't realised they had one on Houndsditch, that's lunch sorted tomorrow then
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    msmancunia wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I definitely have to try that one. (black pudding and mayonnaise are also lovely butties)
    Black Pudding. Ahh.
    Me & the OH are from oop North. But we can't get the kids to eat Black Pudding. Or Haggis.

I think we've failed as parents.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    As a fellow northerner I'm quite pleased that I can get my daughter to eat anything provided its swimming in gravy.

Not tried her with haggis yet, but I think if I tell her it's yummy sheep and a type of sausage she'll be fine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • twist83
    DF33 wrote:
    Was In London yesterday.
    Brick lane bagel bake. Best bagels bar non, nothing like the doughnut shaped usual crap.

They do a very good salt beef, wally and mustard bagel but you can't beat their smoked salmon, cream cheese bagel. Proper fresh fast food and only £1.50 a pop.
    Not changed for the 20 years I've been going.
    Enough to make you convert!

Another vote for me on the Bagels. We always pick up a bag or two to take home. Amazing :)
  • twist83
    notsoblue wrote:
    This

/thread

Amazing I have to make one of them bad boys!!
  • Boxing Day special at Chez66:

White bread, turkey (breast plus thigh or leg), stuffing (thinly sliced), mini sausages wrapped in bacon (thinly sliced lengthways), cold roast potato (thinly sliced), parsnip (thinly sliced), bacon (preferably streaky), mayo, cranberry sauce, and leftover gravy.

No butter.

Vegetables optional.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • msmancunia
    Boxing Day special at Chez66:

White bread, turkey (breast plus thigh or leg), stuffing (thinly sliced), mini sausages wrapped in bacon (thinly sliced lengthways), cold roast potato (thinly sliced), parsnip (thinly sliced), bacon (preferably streaky), mayo, cranberry sauce, and leftover gravy.

No butter.

Vegetables optional.

What is the point of cranberry sauce? It's just jam. And sweet and savoury together is just very very wrong.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Boxing Day special at Chez66:

No butter.

Vegetables optional.

What is the point of cranberry sauce? It's just jam. And sweet and savoury together is just very very wrong.

Oh no. Cheap cranberry sauce is sweet, I'll grant you, but the good stuff is quite dry and tart.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rubertoe
    Fruit - Yes
    Meat - Yes

Fruit and Meat - No