differering effect from..............

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
Are there different physiological training effects from training against the wind and not against the wind at the same intensity. Personally can't stand the wind, am too small and little power on hard days, I tend to see improved results from higher speed sessions than lesser speed ones on harder days.

Discuss.
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I prefer it, racing in the wind is a pain, but I prefer pushing against a resistance, I believe the difference is mental rather than physical though....
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    at the same intensity = no
    that would mean same HR, same power output etc etc so there wont be any difference in the training effect

same speed of course would be different, as power would have to be up etc, so that would obviously matter.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Won't most rides give you a tailwind at somepoint anyway ? You cant just ride into a headwind unless you're some kind of masochist who gets the train back ?

Its a lot like climbing a small hill really - your speed drops for the same effort. And as you have to ride when its windy - why wouldn't you train in it - unless its really dangerous to of course.
  • danowat
    cougie wrote:
    Won't most rides give you a tailwind at somepoint anyway ?

You'd think so, never actually seems to materialize though does it!
  • danowat wrote:
    I prefer it, racing in the wind is a pain, but I prefer pushing against a resistance, I believe the difference is mental rather than physical though....

thanks for replies, sorry for double post as one just went AWOL as seems to be the norm on here then suddenly appears !

we can move to my other post.

I don't mind racing against it.
    Just looking closer at how your body responds, as I said in other post, if you have little leg power but much stronger cardio then, like me, training on windy days isn't giving me as good a workout on calmer days where my cardio allows me to push much harder taking some of the load off the legs.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    I would love to know how you pedal without using your legs.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Mate,
    no offence but you are talking rubbish!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • danowat
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    Just looking closer at how your body responds, as I said in other post, if you have little leg power but much stronger cardio then, like me, training on windy days isn't giving me as good a workout on calmer days where my cardio allows me to push much harder taking some of the load off the legs.

Huh? :?
  • Tom Dean wrote:

you can only push down so hard with the force you can generate with the muscles in your legs that you have, were all born different, after this your engine (all your oxygen systems, heart, lungs, transport of, latic build up) keeps your legs going, simply fueling them to go to their maximum available power and to the length of duration they can sustain.
    Both aren't equal.
  • Team4Luke wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:

you can only push down so hard with the force you can generate with the muscles in your legs that you have, were all born different, after this your engine (all your oxygen systems, heart, lungs, transport of, latic build up) keeps your legs going, simply fueling them to go to their maximum available power and to the length of duration they can sustain.
    Both aren't equal.

Have you heard of gears?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I understand where you're coming from, and I know different people are comfortable riding at different cadences, which is obviously why you don't like mashing a big gear into a headwind. As I said on your other thread, drop it into an easier gear and pedal faster!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!