Numpties

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited November 2012 in Road general
Out on a morning ride on the new bike and the plan was to do approx 40 miles trip to a nice hill climb and then return home. Tight for time as I was late getting out (own fault) and we had guests arriving by lunch time. I was 5 miles from said hill, when came across a guy walking his bike on grass verge, so asked if he was ok. Replied that he had a rear puncture and was calling girlfirend to collect from home, about 20 miles away! Being the good samaritan, I gave him use of my puncture repair kit, tyre levers and pump, and within 20 mins all sorted and we went our seperate ways. I abandoned hill climb and just returned home.

On reflection over the weekend, I think I need to MTFU and start being more selfish :|

So please see poll for options and vote accordingly.

Thanks

Comments

• verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Once gave my spare tube to a fellow sportive rider (because it's the right thing to do) then suffered a puncture within 5 minutes. Fortunately, kinda, my puncture was an explosive one that took the tyre with it too, so I didn't actually lose out!

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • I would hold up my spare inner tube to taunt them and then cycle off cackling to myself, possibly swearing at the numpty.
  • I would continue to be a good Samaritan as you never know when you might be the one in need of help.
    Carrying spare tubes etc is good practice but you never know, one day, one spare tube might not be enough!
    I have asked people to pop a couple of quid in a mountain rescue collection box as a little thanks for stuff I have helped them with on the hills in the past. Whether they did or not I have no idea but we can live in hope. :-)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would stop, let him use your kit then say he needs to get one of his own and do the same thing if he sees anyone else in a spot of bother in the future.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I think one good deed deserves another and if you can help then you should.One day could be you needing help and then hopefully you will get it.Plus its a good feeling and those are few and far between these days.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    elderone wrote:
    I think one good deed deserves another and if you can help then you should.One day could be you needing help and then hopefully you will get it.Plus its a good feeling and those are few and far between these days.

+1

You never know when it's you that'll need some assistance.
  • Nick1972 wrote:
    elderone wrote:

+1

Exactly this.
  • daveski12 wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:
    elderone wrote:

+1

Exactly this.
    ^^^

Makes mental note to get a second spare tube.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I've given away my spare tube a few times now (as well as helping with levers/pump). My response to any offers of repayment has always been "please just do the same for the next person".

If we can't afford to give away a £4 tube or 10 minutes of our time to a stranded cyclist, then I'm not sure there's much point to any of this!
  • i did choose offer to help, but on thinking if i recognised him as being 1 of the many cyclists who refuse to say hi or even acknowlege you i would cycle by saying in an extra loud voice "HI THERE" ;)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I'd always stop and help! You never know when it could be you, even if you're carrying spares!
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    I've given away my spare tube a few times now (as well as helping with levers/pump). My response to any offers of repayment has always been "please just do the same for the next person".

If we can't afford to give away a £4 tube or 10 minutes of our time to a stranded cyclist, then I'm not sure there's much point to any of this!

Well said.

It makes me sad that this question even needs to be asked.
  • I would let my team car deal with the situation. :D
  • Makes mental note to get a second spare tube.

Also not a bad idea to make sure you spares are in good condition from time to time. They can quite easily get puctured in a seat pack rubbing against tools.
  • I would stop and help...........

Unless I was on a Strava segment with a tailwind 8)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I once helped a woman who was walking with a mountain bike a few miles from the nearest road. It was a hire bike and the chain had come off, she didn't know how to put it back on!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    I'm surprised so many seem to carry only 1 spare tube.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd have asked him if he was ok as I always do with cyclists who look to be in trouble. But if he went out without any spares at all then I'd not give him mine. Not a spare tube anyway, maybe a patch and some glue.

He wasn't exactly stranded if his girlfriend was coming to get him. He'd probably have got so much earache from her that he'd have made sure he had some spares and tools next time. I'd certainly not give away my spare tube mid-ride unless the other cyclist was in real trouble and really was stranded.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    fish156 wrote:
    I'm surprised so many seem to carry only 1 spare tube.

1 spare tube plus glue and patches works for me.
    More problems but still living....
  • Do as you would be done by and be done by as you did.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I'd fit my spare tube and take their punctured one home with me. It then gets repaired one wet evening in front of the telly, and goes in to the pile of spares to be used another day.

It's no major hassle, helps them out of a bind and doesn't cost me anything. Taking their tube also means I have something to patch should I have a catastrophic failure of my own.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I'd always help out another. I'm sure it's what anyone would want if they were in the same situation. Saw a chap alongside the road after Sunday club ride and asked if he was alright. He said he already had a lift on it's way but was very thankful.

I was once tubeless and cashless, but near a bike shop. I asked if they took card payment over the phone as someone was at home and could pass on my card details. The chap declined and gave me a free tube! Was over the moon and went to buy bits from the shop later even though it was quite far.
  • If his girlfriend was on her way then he's not stranded. I wouldn't endanger myself by handing over spares that i might need myself - mechanicals at this time of year could lead to hypothermia or being forced to ride at night on dark country roads.

If he was truly stuck then I would do the decent thing as I think only a git would put their own enjoyment over someone else's safety
  • In the last year, other than the odd puncture, I have had 2 incidents. First was a chain snap, which I repaired using spare links that I had on me, but numerous cyclist went past and not one stopped to ask if I was alright! Second was a rear puncture which split the tyre and also discovered that my pump wouldn't work! Again numerous cyclist went past and no one offered help or even asked. Had to walk home 2 miles.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    any other vote in the poll apart from stop and help would be from selfish p*icks whe deserve a collossal blowout 30miles from home and nobody to help them.

you should ALWAYS stop and lend a hand as there will come a time when it is you who needs help, what goes around comes around.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • I always carry 2 spare tubes, after all my bike has 2 wheels.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    my rear tyre disintegrated half way into a 300km audax. detached from the hoop over 12inch section.I destroyed all my tubes trying to bodge it. Roy rode to the next pub stop and brought me someone's spare tyre; an extra 10miles on his day.
    I've carried spare tyres quite a lot after that, but not on the one time in my life it would actually have been useful to someone else. that was on an audax in leicestershire where I found a bloke whose wife was coming from peterborough to get him.
    I really enjoy helping people. the more useless they are the better you feel.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • I'd always stop and offer to help in any way I could - good deeds go around.

A few weeks ago I had a complete rear tyre blowout which rendered the fact I had a spare tube and various puncture kit items with me totally useless. It was then I realised I had forgotten to take my phone out with me. Despite it being a cold midweek daytime in rural northern Scotland, luck would have it that another roadie came along a few minutes after this had happened as I was walking up the road looking for a farmhouse from which phone home from (if they would oblige) - and I was grateful that the other cyclist dug out his phone and let me phone home once I had explained what had happened and that I was walking to the nearest farmhouse to see if I could make a call.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I'd always stop and offer to help in any way I could - good deeds go around.

A few weeks ago I had a complete rear tyre blowout which rendered the fact I had a spare tube and various puncture kit items with me totally useless. It was then I realised I had forgotten to take my phone out with me. Despite it being a cold midweek daytime in rural northern Scotland, luck would have it that another roadie came along a few minutes after this had happened as I was walking up the road looking for a farmhouse from which phone home from (if they would oblige) - and I was grateful that the other cyclist dug out his phone and let me phone home once I had explained what had happened and that I was walking to the nearest farmhouse to see if I could make a call.

What a kind gentleman you ran into.

In the cold light of day it is sad to think that there are still tossers out there who would look straight ahead and ride by whilst you are in difficulty, thankfully the poll is showing riders who would do the right thing and stop and lend a hand.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • I will always say hello and ask if an individual cyclist is okay, but if there are tw or more already there, then I'll generally push on.

Anyone that I can help really must be a numpty though as I can only do the basics but I really cannot understand anyone who goes out without a small saddlebag with the essentials in. Its not exactly a huge weight is it ? Why would you not just have a small bag permanently affixed to the saddle ?