double or triple ?

Comments

• Because you try and patronise people by calling them kid, as you've done before.
    compared to me you are, any way southerners being softies is just tongue in cheek but it is a fact that its flat down south so why would they need a triple set up
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    To be honest, despite all the pathetic puffing out of pathetic coal stained chests I've never really seen any evidence that you poor Northerners (as in fiscally, that's a fact) actually do any more climbing. Bigger hills yes, but cumulative climbing? Not really.

That and you have fewer jobs, higher unemployment, more crime and shorter life expectancies. I'll stick down here with my single ring ta!
  • this is getting fun :) we have better beer up north
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm a numpty :lol:

why o wise one
    Give a reason why he's not right?

One
    njee20 wrote:
    ^^^^^^
    He's right.

I don't really get why some people are so desperate to go to a double, it won't work for everyone's riding style/terrain/bike/fitness. Try it - by removing either your big ring or your granny, won't cost owt. Adjust accordingly with new rings if it's too easy/hard. If you live in the middle ring, then there's no point going to 28/40 (for example) as you lose the chainring you always use.
    Another
    cooldad wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    The big ring's the least useful of the 3- with a standard 22/32/44 and 11-32 cassette you lose only the top 2-and-a-half gears when you discard the 44T, everything else is a duplicate. lots of folks think "I use the big ring often" but that doesn't mean you're often using the few gears that you lose, or that you'd be all that bothered. Still, lots of people have a use for it.

Granny ring is a bit harder, because it brings out a) willy waving and b) people who don't really understand that not everyone's riding is the same. I've got a 1x10 bike and there's very little I can't do on it, but last weekend I was up racing at kinlochleven and the long, draggy climb would have had me worn out and pushing. And considering the sheer amount of climbing, that would have been grim.

And the big difference is, when you're missing a gear at the top, you just go slightly slower. When you're missing a gear at the bottom, you stop. Obviously pushing still gets you to the top, but I go riding, not walking.

This man is very sensible^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Especially when you have weeny chicken legs. I refer to myself obviously, not Northwind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Because you try and patronise people by calling them kid, as you've done before.
    Can't help it I'm a numpty as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps Except for the Scotty types I'm more northerner than any of you. Trouble is it's really sh1t up there.
    So I live in civilisation.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Alibran wrote:
    It's down to personal preference and the kind of terrain you're riding. I've got a 42/32/24 triple, and it works well for me. The two smaller rings get used on the climbs, and the big ring gets used on the descents. The big ring also gets used a lot on the road - I'm close enough to ride to the trails - and I do use my biggest 2 gears. Most of my riding is up and down mountains, and I think a smaller range of gears would be frustrating.
  • cooldad wrote:
    ps Except for the Scotty types I'm more northerner than any of you. Trouble is it's really sh1t up there.
    So I live in civilisation.
    better mountain biking up here thats why you lot keep coming up north with you fancy bikes :)
  • cooldad
    Not in Sunderland there isn't - just a permanent rainy cloud.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    better mountain biking up here thats why you lot keep coming up north with you fancy bikes

I don't. If I want to ride featureless rocky doubletrack on bleak moorland though I know just where to go!
  • njee20 wrote:
    better mountain biking up here thats why you lot keep coming up north with you fancy bikes

I don't. If I want to ride featureless rocky doubletrack on bleak moorland though I know just where to go!
    go and ride in the yorkshire dales, lakes and then come back and tell us all how featureless bleak moorland it is i know which way most mountain bikers are travelling on the m6 at the weekend to ride and it aint south
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    RandG wrote:
    Whats best then ? Double or triple chainring or is it just a personal choice ?
    I use triples on my bikes, can see doubles suiting some but I occasionally use my big chainring so intend keeping a triple set up for now.
    Don't think there's a right or wrong either.
  • njee20
    i know which way most mountain bikers are travelling on the m6 at the weekend to ride and it aint south

Get over yourself! :roll:
    I use triples on my bikes, can see doubles suiting some but I occasionally use my big chainring so intend keeping a triple set up for now.
    Don't think there's a right or wrong either.

Totally agree - but no reason you have to lose the top end, I ran 32/44, 30/42 and 28/42 doubles. As above though, depends on your riding/fitness/terrain/bike etc.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Well thanks for getting things back on topic.

What a bunch of fucking fannies some of you lot are though, does my tits in, and for the second topic recently I've started it's descended it to bollocks.

Anyway, I have a double on my FS but am buying a HT with a triple, just for the hell of it :D
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I've got triples on my ht and fs. Don't often use the big ring but always glad I've got it when I do.
  • cooldad
    RandG wrote:
    Well thanks for getting things back on topic.

What a bunch of ******* fannies some of you lot are though, does my tits in, and for the second topic recently I've started it's descended it to ****.

Anyway, I have a double on my FS but am buying a HT with a triple, just for the hell of it :D
    If you want fun threads I suggest for your next topics:
    SPD vs flats.
    HT vs FS
    Shim vs Sram
    Wearing a helmet is dangerous - discuss.
    Tubes vs Tubless.
    I want an Orange 5

That should keep us going until christmas.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I suggest you STFU :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    ps Except for the Scotty types I'm more northerner than any of you.
    Oh so we're playing that game are we? Well in that case having been born in Gateshead i win :wink:

A mackem living in the south is worse than a mackem, its a mackem in denial :twisted:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    <Looks a few hundred miles south, sees a bunch of southerners arguing about who is least southern>
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    What is the smallest gear I need? What is the biggest gear I need?

A by-product of which is single, double or triple...

Although I think many people feel they 'need' gears they could do without, so I'm not sure that's a great philosophy. Even when I was running doubles 3 years ago I was in 2 minds about whether to go for a 40t outer, and whether it would be enough. Now just run a 36t single. Admittedly a little more top end would be nice on the road to the trails, but I can live with that. A 38t with XX1 would probably be perfect.
    Looks a few hundred miles south, sees a bunch of southerners arguing about who is least southern

Happy to be firmly from the South here!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    this is getting fun :) we have better beer up north

Nah, Sorry that's just wrong. I had a bet with my Yorkshire Bestie that "There are no Good Northern Beers" which led to an ongoing competition.

I am so so far ahead of him it's not true and I'm not even out of Cornwall yet. It's actually a bit of a shame as it's ruining the whole point of the bet which, of course, was to drink more beer...

I have a double btw, but am hoping to pick up a cheap triple to use on holidays to places with big hills or places where speed is not of the essence
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I run a 1x9 at the moment and live in Scotland.

And think southern beer is rubbish. But there are some hills there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    ps Except for the Scotty types I'm more northerner than any of you.
    Oh so we're playing that game are we? Well in that case having been born in Gateshead i win :wink:
    Obviously I have some sympathy with your misfortune. But I'm afraid there is no cure.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • doubles for road bikes, mountain bikes where the land is relatively flat (down south), trail centres, downhills ( walk to the top then stop have a coke, splif what ever then take brain out and fly down) triples for knarly hills mountains ie wales scotland up north :)
  • ddraver wrote:
    this is getting fun :) we have better beer up north

Nah, Sorry that's just wrong. I had a bet with my Yorkshire Bestie that "There are no Good Northern Beers" which led to an ongoing competition.

I am so so far ahead of him it's not true and I'm not even out of Cornwall yet. It's actually a bit of a shame as it's ruining the whole point of the bet which, of course, was to drink more beer...

I have a double btw, but am hoping to pick up a cheap triple to use on holidays to places with big hills or places where speed is not of the essence
    thats just plain wrong we have moorhouse brewery up here which makes a fine selection of bitters including the infamous pendle witch which renders you unable to walk talk or function after only a few hours of consumption :D although it doesnt travel to well :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    Yeah, see you ve only named two there, I can stay in Cornwall and name 3 excellent breweries - not beers - breweries...

Of all the beers we drank in Yorkshire, I can only think of Black Sheep that was above grindingly mediocre..the rest just don't taste of anything.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Yeah, see you ve only named two there, I can stay in Cornwall and name 3 excellent breweries - not beers - breweries...

Of all the beers we drank in Yorkshire, I can only think of Black Sheep that was above grindingly mediocre..the rest just don't taste of anything.
    we have fine theakston, moorhouse,boddingtons breweries there all gonna taste different north or south down to the water they use i hate southern water you may not like northern water its all relative (i think)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    doubles for road bikes, mountain bikes where the land is relatively flat (down south), trail centres, downhills ( walk to the top then stop have a coke, splif what ever then take brain out and fly down) triples for knarly hills mountains ie wales scotland up north :)
    Please, i beg you to stop making yourself look more and more of a tit with every post.
  • Brilliant hey. 'They' have much better breweries but actually they make no difference, it's the water.
  • doubles for road bikes, mountain bikes where the land is relatively flat (down south), trail centres, downhills ( walk to the top then stop have a coke, splif what ever then take brain out and fly down) triples for knarly hills mountains ie wales scotland up north :)
    Please, i beg you to stop making yourself look more and more of a tit with every post.
    do people really take biking forums seriously i thought it was just a bit of fun :D