double or triple ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Whats best then ? Double or triple chainring or is it just a personal choice ?

Comments

• Triple.
  • Whichever suits your riding style and terrain best imho.
  • Has nothing to do with choice!

All to do with which school of cool you belong to.

Single - Sartorially Elegant.
    Double - Council Chav double buggy pusher.
    Triple - Homeless McDonalds eating Tramp.

Some idiots will tell you it depends on the type of terrain and your style of riding- ignore them, they are simply just slaves to rational reason and thought. Fekkin idiots.

Get something with bright coloured bolts and make sure you can clearly see the manufacturer's name and you will be riding like a god!

Some idiots will tell you it depends on the type of terrain and your style of riding- ignore them, they are simply just slaves to rational reason and thought. Fekkin idiots.

Get something with bright coloured bolts and make sure you can clearly see the manufacturer's name and you will be riding like a god!

Very much this.

Not.

I love triples, but there isn't need for one in the uk. In Austria and the alpsyes, but here no.

Very much this.

Not.

I love triples, but there isn't need for one in the uk. In Austria and the alpsyes, but here no.

Maybe not in Cambridge

Very much this.

Not.

Maybe not in Cambridge

Not in Cambridge, or anywhere in the uk. Even the mountainous areas are mere hills compared to the alps where a triple is needed.
  • You don't need mountains or hill for grannys. A mere slope and mine is used, and would not be without it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I love my granny but lost the big ring just because I bought a bash on a whim. As you do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266

Disagree. Lower gears are needed as hills get steeper, not longer. There's plenty of steep climbs about where you can't get a run up to carry speed, so your only option is to stick it in the granny and spin your way up.

If you ride your bike on the road then a big ring is a godsend too, so in conclusion: triples are alive and well in the UK.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    ditto cooldad
    my full suss doesnt get used on the road just at trail centres and in the lakes wales etc .After a month or 2 of not using the the big ring and seeing a priddy bash ring i removed the big ring so i still have my granny which frequently gets used
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Back to the OP's question.....

1/ Depends on gear range at the back, an 11-32 leaves you more likley to need a triple, 11-34 less likely, 11-36 even less likley....
    2/ Where you ride....I found I never used anything but the 32ring but could do (I thought) with more gears so went to a 36T larger ringed double _ I didn't so now am going 32T single ring (11-34 rear).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • personal choice really i would say OP.

I currently use a 22,32,44 triple with a 12-32 cassette and rarely use the bottom 2 while in the granny or the top 2 when in the big ring. If I ever go into top in the big ring I usually find i'm dropping a couple of gears quite shortly after and I can't remember the last time i spun out in top (if ever).

I have decided to go double more for clearance than anything else and keep the granny ring just in case those bottom 2 gears are needed.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It does come down to where you ride and how you ride but in my experience of many different trail centres a triple just isn't needed, a decent range double setup has been ideal for me
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personal, I'd go for a double. 26 or 28 and 40 or 42 depending on type of bike/terrain for me.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Got rid of my big ring cos I never used it. Fitted a bashguard that has been used.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Double 39/27 with 11-34t on XC bike and single 34 with 11-34t on winter workhorse (was a single-speed which I really enjoyed but didn't make riding in a group practical)... anyhow.. mostly ride on my local Dark Peak trails and plenty of gears.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use a triple on all my bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Triple if you ride on the road regularly. Double if nearly all your riding is off road. I have bent too many big rings to go back to a triple.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The big ring's the least useful of the 3- with a standard 22/32/44 and 11-32 cassette you lose only the top 2-and-a-half gears when you discard the 44T, everything else is a duplicate. lots of folks think "I use the big ring often" but that doesn't mean you're often using the few gears that you lose, or that you'd be all that bothered. Still, lots of people have a use for it.

Granny ring is a bit harder, because it brings out a) willy waving and b) people who don't really understand that not everyone's riding is the same. I've got a 1x10 bike and there's very little I can't do on it, but last weekend I was up racing at kinlochleven and the long, draggy climb would have had me worn out and pushing. And considering the sheer amount of climbing, that would have been grim.

And the big difference is, when you're missing a gear at the top, you just go slightly slower. When you're missing a gear at the bottom, you stop. Obviously pushing still gets you to the top, but I go riding, not walking.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    edited November 2012
    Northwind wrote:
    The big ring's the least useful of the 3- with a standard 22/32/44 and 11-32 cassette you lose only the top 2-and-a-half gears when you discard the 44T, everything else is a duplicate. lots of folks think "I use the big ring often" but that doesn't mean you're often using the few gears that you lose, or that you'd be all that bothered. Still, lots of people have a use for it.

Granny ring is a bit harder, because it brings out a) willy waving and b) people who don't really understand that not everyone's riding is the same. I've got a 1x10 bike and there's very little I can't do on it, but last weekend I was up racing at kinlochleven and the long, draggy climb would have had me worn out and pushing. And considering the sheer amount of climbing, that would have been grim.

And the big difference is, when you're missing a gear at the top, you just go slightly slower. When you're missing a gear at the bottom, you stop. Obviously pushing still gets you to the top, but I go riding, not walking.

This man is very sensible^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Especially when you have weeny chicken legs. I refer to myself obviously, not Northwind.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What man?
    Page fail!
  • cooldad
    Nananana^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • southern softies can't power a big ring and don't need a granny ring because you have no hills , the truth hurts :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • cooldad
    I'm a numpty :lol:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^^^^^
    He's right.

I don't really get why some people are so desperate to go to a double, it won't work for everyone's riding style/terrain/bike/fitness. Try it - by removing either your big ring or your granny, won't cost owt. Adjust accordingly with new rings if it's too easy/hard. If you live in the middle ring, then there's no point going to 28/40 (for example) as you lose the chainring you always use.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    It's down to personal preference and the kind of terrain you're riding. I've got a 42/32/24 triple, and it works well for me. The two smaller rings get used on the climbs, and the big ring gets used on the descents. The big ring also gets used a lot on the road - I'm close enough to ride to the trails - and I do use my biggest 2 gears. Most of my riding is up and down mountains, and I think a smaller range of gears would be frustrating.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'm a numpty :lol:

why o wise one
  • Give a reason why he's not right?
  • Give a reason why he's not right?
    :D give one why he is kid
  • Because you try and patronise people by calling them kid, as you've done before.