How to use exercise bike best?

SHADOWMATE
SHADOWMATE Posts: 85
Hi guys. I have just (yesterday) got an exercise bike for on my ship when on board. A turbo would have been of no use on the ships bike (which is a joke!) As i felt this was the only option for me to "cycle" while on board for 3 weeks i chose the Reebok Z9 exercise bike for £200.
Just started today with it but not toooo bad. (Anythings better than nothing right?)
Anyway i believe having done 21km today that its not calibrated correctly (surprise).
I tried for a direct comparison ride against my first turbo session which was around 93ish cadence on avg for a 12 mile + in about 32 minutes (if i recall). Heart rate seems same on both but Cadence here seems a lot slower! And my legs felt nothing like 21k. Has anyone seen or can anyone suggest a percentage figure to adjust the end results by (to make it more turbo aligned and realistic?) or another fix? If it comes to it i would rather massively cut it to be safe in the knowledge i have definitely done the mileage, speed, rpm and wattage's.
This is all KM and KPH so i have to translate, but a reason for this one in particular was wattage but cant compare to a power meter as yet. (I saw a max of 170 odd with a warm-down figure of 85. I think. Does that seem far out?)
There are no averages displayed (tut) so working with minimums i want to achieve until i get it sussed out.
It doesn't help that the instructions are absolutely shocking!
Any advice on its best use would be very appreciated! Thanks guys. :)
Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
with....gears of war.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Don't work on distance, speed, time, etc.

Just do it by time and intensity.
  • When you say intensity what do you mean? (I'm a Noob)
    Are you saying to go for big heart rate numbers for long periods?
    Cheers.
    with....gears of war.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Base it on RPE.You can do this in multiple ways but.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_scale
  • Cool thanks. I had heard of the Borg scale but thought it was RPE scaled from 1-10. I had no idea there was a correlation with heart rate.
    I'm a bit naff at judging to be honest though so i will find that hard. I like all the numbers as proof so i don't have to trust myself.
    I think i will definitely have to do a test for cadence on it today by actually counting for 2 mins then comparing. Maybe if that's not too far out then the speed may not be then the distance etc? (Fingers crossed)
    It has got loads of resistance though so i can do some strength work on it. My priority was cadence though for sure.
    with....gears of war.