rollers with resistance?? is it necessary?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
Hi

So i have asked the question about which set of rollers to get over in road buying advice(although no replies yet :()
Anyway, i have been thinking about resistance. At first i was just going to get a straight forward no frills set, but then i started thinking about whether or not it would be possible to get a really good workout form a set with no resistance.

I have never owned any rollers before so i was hoping some one may be able to advise me on this.
Just how good a workout can you have on the basic rollers? Is it really worth the extra money to get a set with resistance?

Also, i am wondering about tyres. Can you just use your ordinary road tyres? or is there a specific tyre you need to get?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    resistance will depend on:

1. gear you use
    2. diameter of the roller (smaller = higher resistance)
    3. tyre pressure

I use the Cycleops alu rollers, which are a medium size roller, and using a compact I can use the rollers up to about 350w. Reducing tyre pressure slightly can also add a significant extra level of resistance, as would using a 53t etc.

Because of the nature of roller riding you probably dont want to use them for max effort intervals, as you need to be stable enough to stay on them. I find you either go so hard you risk falling off or hold back to stay stable. They are best for the sort of intervals you'd do for 5+ mins as a result, so IMHO offer plenty of resistance for most riders. If you are a very powerful rider then get a smaller diameter roller or a unit with resistance.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    thanks for your reply.
    think a normal set will be fine then.

do you use a training mat under them?
    was wondering if something like this would do?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121025396857? ... 1423.l2649
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    use them in the garage with a plastic flooring material in there - less of an issue for me
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I would get a mat if you have a wooden floor, to protect it from scratches, and also a large fan to keep you cool. A small hand towel to keep within arm's reach, stop the sweat going in your eyes. And if you're using plastic rollers get some copper cable to run from your hand to earth, to prevent static electricity buildup. The electric shock isn't painful it's just not a very nice surprise.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    I use cycleops rollers with the resistance unit.

Love them. I don't use a trainer at all, only the rollers and I do all of my interval sessions on the rollers, dial up the resistance and you will have no trouble getting cross-eyed in short order.