2 x 20 and over under intensities

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
A couple of sessions I want to use now that I have power is the 2 (or 3) x 20min sessions and over under.

My query is around the intensity levels of each session. I do all my rest elements at zone 2 but i would intend to do the sessions as follows

2 x 20
20min warm up Zone 2
2 x 20mins @ low zone 4 (approximately 95% FTP) with 10min recovery between intervals (Z2)
20min cool down Zone 2

Over Under
20min warm up zone 2
1min 110% FTP - 1min 90% FTP X 5
10min recovery Z2
Repeat above for 5-10sets
20min cool down Z2

Does the abpve sound about right?

The main aim is to try and improve FTP.

I also try and do 60min Zone 3 as a session too but the intensity for that is pretty obvious.

cheers

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Not sure you could do 10 sets!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Why train to gradually improve your FTP by small amounts when you could just reduce it by 50% and then ride at double your new FTP for an hour?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    Not sure you could do 10 sets!

This is true but guess Start at 4 and build on that each session forv progressive improvement
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Why train to gradually improve your FTP by small amounts when you could just reduce it by 50% and then ride at double your new FTP for an hour?

Thanks, inspired advice and truly helpful!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731

This is 10 mins of training followed by 10 mins rest = 20 mins per set; so 10 sets would be around 3 hrs? I do hope you aren't planning on doing this on a turbo :roll:
    Simon
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I think he means 1min over, 1 min under.

How do you know your ftp? you say you r using pwr but then quote hr zones instead of levels.

Personally, i prefer a longer interval than 2 x 20 or @ a higher level - but until i re test, i dont know if what i ve been doing has worked :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ? you have zones or levels when using power, or am I mistaken and need to sort out my Golden Cheetah
  • Tom Dean
    2x20 at 95% is pretty standard. There is no right or wrong way to do an individual session though, it all depends how it fits in to your overall program.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    I think he means 1min over, 1 min under.

How do you know your ftp? you say you r using pwr but then quote hr zones instead of levels.

Personally, i prefer a longer interval than 2 x 20 or @ a higher level - but until i re test, i dont know if what i ve been doing has worked :)

I tested my ftp and set my power zones based on that. I might have confused the terminology with levels and zones but the zones I use in the op are power based on my tested ftp.
    ope that makes sense
  • 1min 110% FTP - 1min 90% FTP X 5

This is 10 mins of training followed by 10 mins rest = 20 mins per set; so 10 sets would be around 3 hrs? I do hope you aren't planning on doing this on a turbo :roll:

You're right that does seem excessive but I guess that's my question. Should it be 5 reps? Should it be 10min rest? I think sets might be a Max of 5 looking at it but it's the working intensities I want to get right.
  • Tom Dean
    It's in the area of FTP so the intensity is 'right' in that sense, but the right intensity always depends on the duration of the effort. There are a million way to do over/unders, give it a go and see how you get on.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731

You're right that does seem excessive but I guess that's my question. Should it be 5 reps? Should it be 10min rest? I think sets might be a Max of 5 looking at it but it's the working intensities I want to get right.

I think for a pretty tough turbo session, you'd be aiming at the ~1-1.5 hr mark for the total session. So with the 2x20, you have 10 min warmup, 20 min interval, 10 min rest, 20 min interval, 10 min cool down (1hr, 10 min)

I would guess you'd need to give it a go to see how tough it is, but maybe something like:

10 min warm

[ 1min 110% FTP, 1min 90% FTP ] X 5
    5 min recovery Z2
    Repeat above for 4

10 min cool down
    Total 75 mins

Personally I couldn't spend 20 mins cooling down on a turbo. Also with the warm up, as you are only pushing roughly FTP values for the intervals, I would cut the warm up to cut down the time on the turbo.
    If you find it easy, then maybe make set 2, 3 & 4 tougher.

Just remember that this isn't a strict mathematical model you are trying to archive, it's just about structured interval training.
    Simon
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Herbsman wrote:

No problem, it's the easiest way to double your FTP!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

No problem, it's the easiest way to double your FTP!

Similarly you can easily double your speed by fitting two magnets to your rear wheel.