True or false ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB general
An inner tube can be damaged by lightly inflating it outside of the tyre .

Comments

• RandG wrote:
    An inner tube can be damaged be lightly inflating it outside of the tyre .

:?

You should lightly inflate it before putting it in the tyre
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • RandG wrote:
    An inner tube can be damaged be lightly inflating it outside of the tyre .

:?

You should lightly inflate it before putting it in the tyre

This

What is your definition of "lightly" though?

For me, lightly is just so it takes shape.
  • RandG
    Let me rephrase then, inflating the tube outside the tyre damages the tube, true or false ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above, you are supposed to slightly inflate it outside the tube so make it easier to fit.

Inflate it too much and they will eventually pop, as it thins the rubber. But they inflate way more than you'd think, like rubber rings you see in swimming pools!
  • slam+door.jpg

Common sense just left.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RandG wrote:
    Let me rephrase then, inflating the tube outside the tyre damages the tube, true or false ?
    if you are in a pin factory then true.

otherwise false.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    RandG wrote:
    if you are in a pin factory then true.

otherwise false.

:lol:

Trek Session 8
  • RandG
    I know this comes over as looking obviously stupid, but I want to get opinions on this before I add to the story.
  • nicklouse
    RandG wrote:
    I know this comes over as looking obviously stupid, but I want to get opinions on this before I add to the story.
    add away then as you will only get more of the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • RandG
    I recently received some tubes, on unpacking I thought I'd inflate a couple just to check the width compared to the ones I already had.

First one I inflated went very deformed, narrow in bits, mega fat in others, very strange shape :? Then I inflated another, very similar :? Then I inflated another couple, they were fine, so thought, inflate them all to see how they are, overall, of the ten I bought, four were very deformed :shock:

I emailed the company today about them, and in fairness to them they said they would replace the four deformed ones, however, it was him stating I have damaged them by inflating them outside the tyre :?

Can't say I have ever heard that before :?
  • the-simpsons-d-oh-mini-posters-71133.jpg

Of course you can damage them by inflating them outside of the tyre. Just don't pump them up much!!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Seems way too complicated for me. This is how I do it;

1 - buy tubes

2 - put two tubes in Camelbak

3 - if I have a puncture I remove the tube and put in one of the tubes from Camelbak

Trek Session 8

1 - buy tubes

3 - if I have a puncture I remove the tube and put in one of the tubes from Camelbak

Thank f**k for that. Someone who's got it right. (If you have to have tooobs!!!).
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nicklouse
    RandG wrote:
    First one I inflated went very deformed, narrow in bits, mega fat in others, very strange shape :?
    sounds totally normal.

1 - buy tubes

Missed out step 4;

4 - when no tubes left, consider going tubeless...repeat from step 1 :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • Why on earth would you inflate a tube outside the tyre to check width?

And yes, they'll be slightly deformed, the rubber will be slightly thicker in places. It wouldn't be a problem in the tyre as the tyre helps the tube to keep a uniform shape. But when you start inflating a 2.35" tube to 4-5" with nothing to retain the shape.......
  • nicklouse
    do it do it........
  • I have to ask, because it's going to bug me otherwise.

What exactly did you *think* was going to happen?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    do it do it........

hehehe.

I think I've got some old DH tubes in the garage somewhere. I can see a video of me "testing the width" by sticking one on a track pump going on youtube later on.

big boom!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Surely its about as silly as people buying/paying more for 29" tubes?!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wonder if we can blame Wiggle?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Probably.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've found cheaper tubes nearly always inflate deformed, better ones (Conti/Schwalbe) usually only deform where the extra thickness is at the base of the valve stem.

Does it matter, no.

A Friend has a 36er and uses 29er tubes as 36er tubes weigh a lot (over 500g each) which means those 29er tubes are very over inflated, he's never had one let go though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    i fitted a 24" tube to a 26 as i picked the wrong one up.
  • RandG
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds totally normal.

Really? so the ones that were inflated that weren't "deformed" are you suggesting they aren't "normal"
  • nicklouse
    RandG wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds totally normal.

Really? so the ones that were inflated that weren't "deformed" are you suggesting they aren't "normal"
    nope.

tubes make all sorts of shapes when you inflate them, and I have most likely inflated more than you have.

it is rare to find some that make a dounut with just some waisting at the valve.
  • When i repair a tube i pump it up to ensure the hole is fixed and the patch can cope with the stretch. Surely this is how one usually checks the seal is complete? Surely the tyre manufacturers expect this also? All my tubes look like badly made sausages and ive never had one fail yet.

Surely your tyre guy is talking from his sphincter?
  • RandG
    Surely your tyre guy is talking from his sphincter?

He may well be, I'm still not sure, but as I said, he offered to replace the ones I mentioned, so I won't say anything further about his comments, nor would I name the company.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've found cheaper tubes nearly always inflate deformed, better ones (Conti/Schwalbe) usually only deform where the extra thickness is at the base of the valve stem.

Does it matter, no.

A Friend has a 36er and uses 29er tubes as 36er tubes weigh a lot (over 500g each) which means those 29er tubes are very over inflated, he's never had one let go though.
    A 36er?
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/55831875@N03/7805059208

Toe clearance - not an option it seems. Why anyone would want one i dont know..........