Tired legs - Good performance

Trev The Rev
Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
Many report that some of their best or at least good performances come when their legs are tired.

Personally whenever my legs feel bad or tired I perform badly, but I'm interested to hear from those who find otherwise or have coached others.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Why the interest Trev?
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Why the interest Trev?

Because it is something I have not personally experienced and I have noticed many people say they have put in good performances on tired legs.

I find it interesting, no other reason.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've come to the conclusion, that how I feel on the day of an event has no bearing on how that event will do, either way.
  • danowat wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion, that how I feel on the day of an event has no bearing on how that event will do, either way.

Do you mean in terms of power output or time?
  • It's all in the mind. I've turned up to races and when warming up I've thought my legs feel heavy or that the top end just isn't there but then come crunch time it all starts to work. I tend to find it after a block of training that has had a lot of high intensity training such as hard intervals.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    danowat wrote:

Do you mean in terms of power output or time?

Either, they tend to go hand in hand (at least relative times)
  • I don't know much about the racing side of things but I know from experience and my Strava profile that on occassion I will feel like I've done poorly on a ride but when I look at the data I've nailed a PB; and sometimes I feel like i've done great and I've done awful.

I would love to know why if anyone can proffer a reason.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    draw a graph with of form, fitness and fatigue on the y axis and time on the x axis and you will begin to understand
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    When I had tired legs, my 'doctor' suggested I took some 'Edgar Allen Poe' and I was faster the next time I went out.

wink wink nudge nugde say no more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Herbsman wrote:
    draw a graph with of form, fitness and fatigue on the y axis and time on the x axis and you will begin to understand
    If Strava can give figures for these I might start using it after all.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Many report that some of their best or at least good performances come when their legs are tired

Maybe their legs weren't tired, their minds just thought they were.

My view is that your body won't speak to you until you start working it only then will you know if you're tired or not.