custom chainring for reduced chain drop?

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some of the early SC VPP has a very large amount of chain growth, one of the largest I have seen. They have reigned it in now with a redesign, but the old Bullitt was 30mm at full travel (160mm). Though not as bad as old Orange long travel bikes with the high pivot.
  • milfredo wrote:
    I've tried to keep up with the topic but excuse me if I'm deviating.

I think the people who have experienced a clutch on a particular design (yourself and smoothy) are going to be the ones who can best comment on how it affects it.

Well in that case I'll throw my hat into the ring, tho it is still I'm aware slightly OT. I've just fitted an XT Shadow Plus mech to my DW Link equipped Ibis Mojo SL with no issues whatsoever.

To be fair Shimano don't use the term 'clutch' their description of 'plus' reads like this:
    a switch at the pulley cage to enforce a heavier spring tension and activate a friction stabilizer to counteract the forces of up and down chain momentum in rough terrain.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I had a standard xtr mech on the Blur for nearly three years and had no problems either. I did use a neoprene protector to protect from slap but lived with it. I moved to the clutch as the old mech got mashed on the downhills in Bulgaria. I thought while I was at it I would treat myself to some shiny 10 speed with a clutch to see what it's all about and I like it.

The clutch is more of a stiff joint and you can push it fully forward while engaged with one hand. As mentioned before, the force of the suspension is not going to be hindered by it in a noticeable way while riding.