32 or 36

2»

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    rubertoe wrote:
    Should I go for 32 or 36 holes? are there really many noticeable difference between the two?

These wheels will be mainly for commuting on crap london roads.

Can't go wrong.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Commuter, eh? If you haven't bought the XT hubs already, how about a dynamo hub? Also available as a package with the new Exposure Revo lamp (which could be bought from Evans using the forthcoming -25% deal)
    G'wan...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DrLex wrote:
    Commuter, eh? If you haven't bought the XT hubs already, how about a dynamo hub? Also available as a package with the new Exposure Revo lamp (which could be bought from Evans using the forthcoming -25% deal)
    G'wan...

Good idea; but trying to keep the costs down or would be going for Hope Pro Hubs...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Given that the rear takes ~60% of the weight and is dished, I went for 36 with single-butted DS and double-butted NDS spokes when I built the replacement for my commuter - complete overkill but it has been bombproof, despite being the first wheel that I have built from scratch. For the front, however, given no dishing and less load, I would be tempted to go 32 with single-butted. Mind you, the cost (both weight and money) of going 36 is pretty small so, if you're asking the question, why wouldn't you go 36?

_
  • rubertoe wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    G'wan...

Good idea; but trying to keep the costs down or would be going for Hope Pro Hubs...

The dynamo hub idea isn't a bad one though:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a47778 ... 26&cr=GBP#
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:
    48 for me and I only weigh 11 stone - I like not having to worry about things breaking on me.
    48?! Was that a deliberate choice for supreme low-tension redundancy, or were you after the low-rider look?
    burgundy_bullet_lowrider_bike.jpg
    How many spokes on that thing? It looks like way more than 48...