Camilla Tominey - Lycraman must stop saddling us with blame

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Her twitter account is even worse.

She has agreed to do some sort of cycle training in london with a safety instructor in twitter.
    Can it be arranged to happen on the open road, during rush hour?
    That'll give her some perspective.

PS:- I agree the original piece was written to get a response. Looks like she was successful.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • That sort of article is meat and drink to the minority of drivers who bully and intimidate cyclists. It's dishonest and irresponsible.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    notsoblue wrote:

Thats awesome. She must've seen that and actually followed it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    sfichele wrote:
    Apparently she loves winding up cyclists...

Windup.png

Shooting fish in a barrel innit.

@ TailWindHome. I'm a fish and I'm shocked and appalled at your post.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Thats awesome. She must've seen that and actually followed it.
    It's been changed to add the mum bit and the Wiggo bit since I last read it.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Love this:

'The trouble with cyclists is that they take themselves so very seriously, don’t they?'

My male instinct tells me to write; 'Go f*ck yourself you miserable b*tch, hope your mum got a right good ol' paggering from the lycra clad Romeo'

Was it DDD?

I agree with her, we are humourless b*stards dressed like Freddy Mercury a la '79......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gtvlusso wrote:

I agree with her, we are humourless b*stards dressed like Freddy Mercury a la '79......

queen-bike.jpg

all i wanna do is......bi-cycle bi-cycle
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • FreddieMerckx.jpg
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I suppose the one positive from this particular sad and ill-informed article is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a single comment actually endorsing her views. Most of these tend to get responses from the more extreme petrol-heads explaining how right she is, but how she's not going far enough.

I guess we just have to keep posting the arguments against every time one of these appears.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    rhext wrote:
    I guess we just have to keep posting the arguments against every time one of these appears.

I agree, the worse thing we can do as cyclists with articles like this is to keep mum. :shock:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    pangolin wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

That is incredible! Close enough to her article that it's almost like she's doing a parody. Almost...

My blood was boiling until I read that.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you reckon the Mum was "The Receptionist"? PMSL if it was!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    rhext wrote:

I agree, the worse thing we can do as cyclists with articles like this is to keep mum. :shock:

I don't know.

These kind of things are written to deliberately bait cyclists. They know we're a fairly reactionary group that is well connected online. It's the easiest thing in the world to wind us up with a few ill informed comments.

Anger = social media storm = pageviews = Happy advertisers

They won't stop doing it until we ignore them :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Mattsaw wrote:
    rhext wrote:

I don't know.

These kind of things are written to deliberately bait cyclists. They know we're a fairly reactionary group that is well connected online. It's the easiest thing in the world to wind us up with a few ill informed comments.

I think you're entirely correct in saying that if nobody responded it would be best. However, the anti cyclist brigade would still post in agreement. Should we leave it or should we defend ourselves to let them know it's not reasonable behaviour?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Did she do her day's cycling in Regent's Park in the end?

Guess not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I did chuckle at this one though...

"Mrs Tominey and I had a torrid affair back when Camilla was a little girl. She was pure filth, I did things to her you wouldn't do to a farmyard animal.

What's that Camilla? I shouldn't attack dead people who have done nothing wrong and can't answer back?

Mmmmm."
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    I just saw this, Wrote her an email via her webpage and she actually replied with comments including:

My article has no impact on the safety of our roads – that’s up to road users.

You’ve interpreted what I’ve written as you see fit, mostly incorrectly, I’m afraid.

I like others have mentioned are really pleased to see the comments on the article had no one supporting her. I mentioned that in my email to her. I do think they made a massive error not adding the work just to the final line as I mentioned to her in my email.

When it comes to road safety, it is not drivers who must change gear but cyclists.

This sentence alone states that drivers do not need to improve road safety - this alone, irrespective of what cyclists do, will lead to more deaths. You are responsible as is your editors for this being published. If it had the small word "just" added between not and drivers to this sentence it would be a starting point for a debate. Instead you are using your view on cyclists as a justification for the deaths of cyclists without any regard for people who have been affected by losing loved ones or affected by serious injury.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't care...

camillamain.jpg

I would.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

That Greg66 has a lot to answer for. Leading you astray, he is.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Mattsaw wrote:
    rhext wrote:

I don't know.

Just had an idea: why don't we contact the advertisers' PR directly, the companies' that are actually paying for they advert to be displayed next to her "balanced" "article".
    If they will contact the publisher and demanding that they name should not be associated with writers and articles like that then it would achieve much more than only spreading the messages within cycling circles.

What do you think?
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

You're saying you wouldn't, why? Are you saying she is unattractive or not really your type?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bugger: I just looked at the article again and the only advertiser on the page is : Lori Reid......
    I had a good laugh at one of the comments on her article:
    "jump lights, who do not ride on pavements and don't even wear Lycra (or any other skin tight clothing) with the same brush, all because your mother happened to have an affair with one. (making another gross and ridiculous stereotype, she obviously realised we were all much better lovers than mere non cyclists)
    "
    8)
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

You're saying you wouldn't, why? Are you saying she is unattractive or not really your type?

Not even a glimmer. Let's just say the latter.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

She looks as though she's the progeny of a farmyard animal encounter IMO
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    More like Libby from Neighbours IMO

Libby-Kennedy-neighbours-774800_300_169.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

Really!? What's your type then?
    Food Chain number = 4

• mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

At the risk of sounding rash - she looks as dirty as a dog's arse :o
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • rjsterry
    mcj78 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care...
    I would.

At the risk of contracting a nasty rash - she looks as dirty as a dog's ars* :o

FTFY
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    She's really not very intelligent, someone on Twitter said her rant can be shown up as the prejudiced nonsense it is if you remove the word "cyclist" and replace it with the word "jew".

Camilla's response?

"Don't be stupid, I don't hate jews!"

Thick as Barry White's shoot on Boxing Day.

On 23 November 2012 16:10, Camilla Tominey <camilla.tominey@express.co.uk> wrote:

Also – check the Twitter feed – you’ve misrepresented my answer about Jews as if it answered that specific question, it didn’t.
    And to say you don’t hate one thing isn’t the same as saying you do hate something else.
    Jokes are not hate crimes.
    You know what’s really dim? Spending hours pouring over a complete stranger’s Twitter feed.

On 11/23/12 4:24 PM, I wrote:

Very noble,

Asking not to email you again. then you send me one once you have thought of some extra points. very grown up.

Within your further points you are right - I have not spend hours pouring over a twitter account of anybody. I lifted the point from a cycling forum hence a possible misrepresentation. I do not find the deaths of millions of people (Jews) or hundreds (cyclists) in any way right to make a joke about.

You ask about not making it personal. You have put your name to the article in question that has endangered road users and attacked a large group of people. The article was written expressing your opinions and prejudiced and so I have responded to them. Unless someone else wrote the article in the express? It is horrible and hateful to make the comments you have - simple as that. (for a joke or otherwise)

On 23 November 2012 16:26, Camilla Tominey <camilla.tominey@express.co.uk> wrote:

My grandmother was in Auschwitz. I haven’t made any jokes about Jews. I haven’t made any jokes about dead cyclists. I will correct any libellous accusations you level against me. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, stop emailing.

I think everyone should send camilla.tominey@express.co.uk an email, she clearly loves getting them.
  • rjsterry
    Well there's your 'why' DDD.

Use of the "some of my best friends are..." defence - always a winner.
    Pinnacle Monzonite