Recommend me a recovery drink.

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Something that is simple to make, cheap and tastes half decent. 8)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Pint of full fat milk.

Instructions: Remove cap, pour into glass, drink, done. ;)

If you want to push the boat out put the milk in a blender and add bananas or whatever takes your fancy!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    woah! Steady on there iPete, semi-skimmed surely? Can't have us all blowing up like Michelin men.

Pint of milk. About as good as it gets although I often scoff a Zipvit protein bar too because they taste really nice and after a hard workout I deserve a treat. They do melt when I eat them in the bath though :)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    High5 chocolate.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    High5 chocolate.

+1
    Or the berry flavour
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    I don't really have a recovery drink but for when I do it's always milk :)
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Milk, like really ? No need for fancy shakes then ? Surely no full fat stuff though ??
  • Grill wrote:
    High5 chocolate.

This. With milk. Sorted.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Grill wrote:
    High5 chocolate.

Pfft, summer fruits > chocolate.

With semi skimmed of course.
  • A large glass of milk and a peanut butter and honey sandwich after a 'normal' ride, but after a long one I make up a home made shake consisting of a large scoop of MyProtein Impact Whey and a large scoop of Lidl's own choc milk drink powder.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/im ... ey_protein
  • I buy my ingredients in bulk from MyProtein. Maltodextrin, dextrose, powdered oats and unflavoured 'Impact' protein whey protein.

There are lots of pre-mixed powders available too. I tried Powerbar (the recovery drink powder), but it doesn't actually have a lot of good stuff in it (little protein, for example), so I went with something that not only allows me to decide what goes into it, but is considerably cheaper.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    never bothered :idea:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • iPete
    RandG wrote:
    Milk, like really ? No need for fancy shakes then ? Surely no full fat stuff though ??

No fancy shakes needed, ignore all the sales guff, just eat a normal diet!

Ignore the full fat comment, that's just me trying to get enough calories in to sustain 200 miles a week :lol:
  • If they didn't work, I would not use them. ;)
  • iPete
    Do enlighten us with your evidence :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

Milk gets a great mention. Was training on average 12-14 hours a week for most of this year, the difference between supplements and good old milk wasn't noticeable.
  • Do we have to discuss that documentary again? :lol:

But exactly what do you mean by 'supplements'?
  • iPete
    No lets not ;)

Forgoodness shakes, protein powders, other sports drinks, gone back to milk. Did have success with protein/weight gain supplements, maybe not recommended for cycling recovery :lol:
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    RandG wrote:
    well I used to take protein shake, but IMO it's not worth it.
    Don't even take protein shake when I weight lift anymore. But if milk isn't doing it for you then a jam packed smoothy would be ideal too.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Pocari Sweat - love it, tastes nice, not full of sugar and replaces lost salts which avoids cramps
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

• I like those prices :)

Do we have to discuss that documentary again?

This is always a subject which is going to divide opinion :mrgreen:

The great thing is that there is plenty of information available for us each to make an informed decision.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Chocolate Nesquik with a little bit of protein powder from myprotien.

Nesquik has the perfect 4:1 carb to protein ratio for recovery. Ignore all over priced 'recovery drinks'
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Mars milk chocolate refuel work for me and only 2 for £2 at all supermarkets
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Milk, you're wasting your money if you buy anything else.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Pocari Sweat - love it, tastes nice, not full of sugar and replaces lost salts which avoids cramps

That's not available in the UK - i wish it was, it's yum!

However, i wouldn't recommend it as a recovery drink. The electrolytes will do your kidneys no good unless you are adequately hydrated to start with.
  • Peat wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

That's not available in the UK - i wish it was, it's yum!

However, i wouldn't recommend it as a recovery drink. The electrolytes will do your kidneys no good unless you are adequately hydrated to start with.

I can buy it from my local Chinese supermarket here in Dundee. It's a great hangover drink.
  • peat
    Hmm, all the ones i have been in daaarn saaaarth never seem to have it. Just loads and loads of iced tea.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited November 2012

I like those prices :)

Do we have to discuss that documentary again?

This is always a subject which is going to divide opinion :mrgreen:

The great thing is that there is plenty of information available for us each to make an informed decision.

Exactly!

But the bottom line really is that your body needs carbohydrates and protein after intense exercise, as well as fluid. It is most receptive to them immediately afterward*; at which point certainly I am generally ravenously hungry and could (and will) consume vast amounts of whatever I can find at the time. A recovery drink is a great way to not only get all of the good stuff mentioned above, but being one hit, it's also a great way to knock hunger square on the head. For that reason I don't consider my recovery drink to be a 'supplement', or a 'sports drink'. It's a convenience food if anything.

*Apparently, since I have not researched this personally...
  • kayo74 wrote:
    Mars milk chocolate refuel work for me and only 2 for £2 at all supermarkets

"only"!? If I used those I'd need a mortgage! :lol:

But honestly, those are a waste of time as well as money. They don't contain enough protein or carbs to be useful and not very much fluid for rehydration. You'd be better off with a pint of milk and a sandwich than that.
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    I've been drinking 500ml of semi skimmed milk with 1 large or 2 small bananas in it for a while now, Its a delicious smoothie and costs next to nothing, Bonus is that it stops the other half moaning about the expensive hand blender I bought a while back as it gets used daily now :D

I know exactly what's gone into it and it stops me feeling hungry etc.

Got the idea off this forum actually and I'm sure it was Simon's post.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I use both High5 recovery drinks and milk + banana. I don't know about yourself, but I go for a ride in the evenings most of the time and don't eat afterwards. Therefore, some form of recovery fluid is imperative.

I opt for the recovery drink after a hard ride, in order to get that many carbs/protein into me through a meal would be too much for my stomach to handle. It's also convenient. Besides, £25 for 1-2 months is hardly much.

If I've gone for a more subtle ride I'll have a milk + banana smoothie. It works well as I feel replenished immediately.
  • peat
    Guiness.

Works a treat for me.
This discussion has been closed.