Wiggins - National Disappointment

Comments

• pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    It's a pity he is not more circumspect; whether he likes it or not he is an ambassador for cycling - a figurehead for a minority sport - and therefore has inordinate influence. His comments in public are something of a disappointment, particularly his misjudged comments on helmets, and his lack of eridition, and there are no doubt many who would take advantage of the image he is cultivating, which will do him (and us) no favours in this misanthropic class-ridden country.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Agree with above. In today's world top sportsmen are celebrities too and they have to learn to cope with the media attention that brings. Lets not feel too sorry for the pressure - it is their celebrity status that allows them to command the salaries too. Wiggo is the current face of cycling - more so than Hoy/Pendleton/Cav at this stage. I for one wish he would be an ambassador for the sport as a whole. Let the footballers be the thugs and the scum - I want cycling to be better than that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The parallel between 2012 Wiggo and 2008/2009 Cavendish is somewhat striking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    I think that behaviour - 'showing the finger' - appeals to the sad people who read the Sun (I have never bot a copy and never will even if it is the last remianing newspaper).

Some of the things he says and his actions are not to my liking but then not everyone in this World is. I think he has his head more or less in the right place and does not care about the money much as far as I can ascertain. There are plenty of opportunities to milk his fame but instead of that he has actively steered away from it. He says a lot of things some poeple think but haven't got the balls to say.

I'm sure if he was the opposite and was out there milking his fame, doing things the normal man couldn't, partying all the time etc etc, then there would be more people hating on him then there are now.

His dress sense sucks as does his hair but that doesn't matter.

He is a solid road racer and that is what should concern us.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    dennisn wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Wiggins is a good cyclist. Indeed, he's a great cyclist, and has achieved an incredible amount, but his antics off the road are embarrassing.
    The finger today, the c-word at the TdF, the crap almost rude interviews, the constant "I hate all the attention" (dont compete and win big races then), and lets not mention the blue coat at the recent TdF presentation... Plus his famous "i was almost an alcoholic" phase ....

I really cant stand Wiggins now and it he just seems unable to be gracious in public. I dont just support a winner, I support the man, and I just cant bring myself to support this man anymore.

So you want him to be your perfect shining example of your ideal cyclist? How is it that you say he's not allowed to be human and have human faults? It really isn't your place to demand he be something he's not. You're going to search long and hard for the perfection you seem to want and in the end all your candidates wil come up way short.

You say you don't support him anymore? What has changed? What are you NOT doing now that you were doing when you supported him?

Wahey!

How ironic, Dennis, that the point you've been labouring, repeatedly, about Armstrong and his henchmen should finally be most pertinent about this Wiggins Fingergate ( :roll: ) non-story.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Although I agree that the press are over intrusive and shoving a camera lens in the car window is unnecessary and OTT, Wiggo needs to remember his status in the sport and the fact that he is now a 'hero' to many kids, and as such has set a very bad example.

He loves the fact that his son play rugby league. We I can tell you that if I caught any of my U9s showing the finger they'd be in for a bollocking at the least. I'm sure his son's coaches wouldn't tolerate such actions either.

Wiggo needs to engage his brain a bit more often as he lets himself and the sport down with his foul language and actions such as was captured on film. He brings himself down to the same level as the gutter journos and paps that riddle this country.
  • ocdupalais
    It's like the 60's never happened...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    Want your kids to have role models? Have them look closer to home than total strangers. Be your kids' role model yourself rather than delegating responsiblity to others just because they're in the public gaze.

its really not complicated. Its called parenting.
  • If Wiggins is a disappointment I would welcome a few more disappointments just like him.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    edited November 2012
    If Wiggins is a disappointment I would welcome a few more disappointments just like him. Sorry unintentional double post.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And maybe mention that even role models are their own people, and won't always do what you want them to.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Want your kids to have role models? Have them look closer to home than total strangers. Be your kids' role model yourself rather than delegating responsiblity to others just because they're in the public gaze.

Do you have kids? Of course the best examples are set by the parents, and those of us with kids and who give something back to other kids don't need to hear the patronising nonsense above.

Look at how the same kids behave when they play football and when they play rugby. They copy what they see their 'heros' do on TV, and their behaviour is different.

Wiggo is a dad - what sort of example is he setting to his own kids with his foul language and rude gestures?

I like the fact that he has some character, but he does need to think and egage his brain sometimes.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Hello all, thanks for the replies, it's enjoyable to read views from both sides of the fence, as it were.

Apologies for my poor spelling in earlier posts! It's something i am usually rather careful about!

I think some of the more recent posts express my opinions somewhat better than i did. I'm no writer, but perhaps what i meant was that Wiggins public persona is somewhat disappointing, not him as a cyclist (where I hold him as Britain's greatest cyclist, and one of the best in the world right now).

I just wished he was a bit smarter with his language and actions / opinions.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Do you have kids? Of course the best examples are set by the parents, and those of us with kids and who give something back to other kids don't need to hear the patronising nonsense above.

Look at how the same kids behave when they play football and when they play rugby. They copy what they see their 'heros' do on TV, and their behaviour is different.

Wiggo is a dad - what sort of example is he setting to his own kids with his foul language and rude gestures?

I like the fact that he has some character, but he does need to think and egage his brain sometimes.

If you want to talk about being patronising, you are being that very thing in your questioning of Wiggins' behaviour as a father.

Given that GB's two most famous cyclists are Wiggins and Cav, who are both dads and who are both known for the occasional verbal outburst or gesture (Cav at Tour of Romandie 2010, anyone?) you may want to have your child follow other brave GB lads in another sport to find other heroes who might be more able to meet your standards.

Oh, and dont read any interviews with Dave Brailsford because he sometimes swears too. And he's a father :shock:
  • Disappointment? No
    He's just a very naughty boy.

:lol:

And as for the comments about his coat from the OP... : 8)
  • ocdupalais
    I can see a line in Wiggo T-shirts out for Christmas... his benign face with 'Working Class Hero' & 'National Disappointment' are 2 for a start...
  • Turfle
    Team Disappointment vs Team Working Class Hero.

You're a marketing genius, OCD.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset Boy wrote:

If you want to talk about being patronising, you are being that very thing in your questioning of Wiggins' behaviour as a father.

Given that GB's two most famous cyclists are Wiggins and Cav, who are both dads and who are both known for the occasional verbal outburst or gesture (Cav at Tour of Romandie 2010, anyone?) you may want to have your child follow other brave GB lads in another sport to find other heroes who might be more able to meet your standards.

Oh, and dont read any interviews with Dave Brailsford because he sometimes swears too. And he's a father :shock:

Are you really suggesting that it's a good idea to use foul language on a regular basis?
    Sure we all get angry and frustrated, but it isn't THAT difficult to keep a lid on your language. What exactly is patronizing about suggesting Wiggo doesn't set a good example for his kids when he swears?

Anyway, this is taking it OT.
  • ocdupalais
    Dorset Boy wrote:

If he's the wonderful (if flawed) dad I have complete faith that he is, I imagine his kids are currently getting to understand that the "example" of his behaviour is that sometimes things are appropriate and sometimes they're not: as you get older, that's what you as an individual are responsible for.

What's "character" if not the tendancy to say "fukc you!" from time to time.

When I was a nipper, my mum's friend Lorraine would often say things like "we don't do that in this house!" or "do as I say; not as I do"... This would get right up my mum's nose, so one day she preempted that other classic "what's the magic word?" by telling me to answer that it's "bollox!"...

I learned my lesson well, as today I still think all glib judgementalists can swivel.
  • My mother taught me the chorus to Four and 20 Virgins when I was a kid. Made us both laugh like loons. Didnt mean that I sang it at every opportunity outside the house.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited November 2012
    I think it's very possble that he's flipping off ALL the people who just have to know everything about him.
  • ocdupalais
    My mother taught me the chorus to Four and 20 Virgins when I was a kid. Made us both laugh like loons. Didnt mean that I sang it at every opportunity outside the house.

:D

I got punched in the leg by my teacher Mrs Piper when I was 4 and was made to stand in front of the class facing the wall because she overheard me say something rude to my mate.
    "You wait until my mum get's here!", I thought, as I'd almost certainly learned such language from her when she dropped something or trod on Lego.
    When my mum arrived after school and heard what happened she turned to me said I was a silly boy for swearing in class and asked me what I had expected. I felt betrayed at the time but accepted she had a point.

That was the 70's when swearing was deemed more inappropriate than punching a kid.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    He's obviously a doper.

He is so whacked out on testosterone, he can't control himself.
  • Bakunin wrote:
    He's obviously a doper.

He is so whacked out on toblerone, he can't control himself.

FTFY

or maybe that's just me
  • In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.
    Injuries like Wiggins got wouldn't even have got you out of Mr Tubbs games lesson or cross country. No wonder the NHS needs so much money these days, the slightest little knock or wheeze and its off to A&E. The NHS should send Sky a bill.
  • Turfle
    In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.
    Injuries like Wiggins got wouldn't even have got you out of Mr Tubbs games lesson or cross country. No wonder the NHS needs so much money these days, the slightest little knock or wheeze and its off to A&E. The NHS should send Sky a bill.

As a teen in the 90s I got knocked down by a bus full of hockey girls. Going to hospital was the last thing on my mind.
  • Turfle wrote:
    In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.

As a teen in the 90s I got knocked down by a bus full of hockey girls. Going to hospital was the last thing on my mind.

They want their ball back :)
  • Turfle wrote:

Where I'm from in the 1970s the Hockey Girls from the Girls Secondary Modern would have put you in hospital. The Hockey girls from the Girls Grammar would have been a bit more gentle but you would still need to visit the clinic a few weeks later.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Turfle wrote:

Clearly must have been you colliding with the bus, not the other way round - it's clear you were very distracted! :D
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Most of the press deserve the middle finger. Screw em.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.