New mobile phone - recommendations?

2»

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    pangolin wrote:
    IT'S THE PRINCIPAL OF THE THING

/outrage

Nah, it was probably just one of the accountants.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I'm wondering about the new Motorola Razr i, has anyone got one already?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Just checked their site... Giff Gaff prices have definitely gone up since I looked back in April/May time... This is the disadvantage of not being signed up to a contract, the providor can shift prices whenever they want....

True, but they had been static for some time, and the proliferation of Smart 'phones has really caused average data usage to rocket. When I joined giffgaff back in June 2010, the £10 goodybag was 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Last month's £10 got me 250 minutes and unlimited texts and data; I'm O.K. with going to £12 to get this deal next month - need more than 1GB, thanks to streaming R6 (or TMS) on my commute.
    Erm, hasn't every contract provider just increased their contract prices for existing customers? You're not as safe as you think on a "fixed" contract.
    No... I signed up to a contract in may and the price is fixed....
    No, its not, its definitely not. Vodafone customers face a price hike this month. And its not just Vodafone, Three and T-Mobile have imposed similar changes. If you' d have read your contract fully you'd have seen that there is a clause enabling them to change the rates at any time, subject to sufficient notice.

Actually come to think of it, I got a message from Orange at the end of last year telling me that from Jan or Feb the price would increase by a quid or so... I was out of contract at that point so I didn't make much of a fuss... I then renegotiated a new contract in April and got the new phone in May. Since then I haven't heard anything about any price increases... Looks like Ofcom is going to step in anyway...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    As part of my job I have to look after many different mobile phones - including hardware and software support, and purchasing advice.

My advice - get a Samsung Galaxy S2 or 3 on Vodafone.

Other carriers might be cheaper, but Vodafone has the best network coverage.
  • following this with interest.
    I am looking to replace my iphone 4
    current contenders:
    nexus 4 or iphone 5. I like the nexus 4 but its MASSIVE and heavy so the iphone is winning on that front.
    http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support shows why buying anything other than a nexus and expecting updates is a waste of time.
    I had been looking at the xperion active but thats just been dropped as well, just over a year after release.
    windows mobile updates are even worse.
    Does anyone know if its possible to clone a sim to have 2 phones that are the same i.e. a small light and big usefull one ?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'd expect Windows Phone 8 to be a bit more supported than 7. 7 was really their first crack at getting back into the game. 8 has been getting some great reviews and they know they can't piss around as they're currently being hammered by Google and Apple
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    dhope wrote:
    If you like Android then Google Nexus 4 seems a no brainer. £240 for the spec is a bargain.

+1

I'm looking at getting one of these and a cheap as chips 3 sim as O2's 3G is pap where I live but 3's is pretty good.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • davehun wrote:
    following this with interest.
    I am looking to replace my iphone 4
    current contenders:
    nexus 4 or iphone 5. I like the nexus 4 but its MASSIVE and heavy so the iphone is winning on that front.
    http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support shows why buying anything other than a nexus and expecting updates is a waste of time.
    I had been looking at the xperion active but thats just been dropped as well, just over a year after release.
    windows mobile updates are even worse.
    Does anyone know if its possible to clone a sim to have 2 phones that are the same i.e. a small light and big usefull one ?

Have you seen and felt the Nexus 4 yet then? it isn't released until the 13th November. It's hardle massive, 1 cm taller than the iphone 5 and 1 cm wider and weighs 23g more. Can you really compare the two considering the Nexus 4 is nearly half the price of the iphone 5?
  • Ian.B wrote:
    I'm wondering about the new Motorola Razr i, has anyone got one already?

Yes. It's excellent. Very good battery life, nice screen, perfect size (really don't like the size of the S3) and good, accurate GPS on Strava. Also there is a separate hardware button that wakes up the camera in about a second (from the screen being off), and is also used to take the picture.

Get one.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • Have you seen and felt the Nexus 4 yet then? it isn't released until the 13th November. It's hardle massive, 1 cm taller than the iphone 5 and 1 cm wider and weighs 23g more. Can you really compare the two considering the Nexus 4 is nearly half the price of the iphone 5?

no not a 4 seen a nexus three and its huge.
    by volume the 4 is 133.9*68.7*9.1 = 83710.263mm3
    iphone 5 is 123.8*58.6*7.6 = 55135.568 mm3
    so the iphone 5 is 65% of the volume of a nexus that is quite a bit bigger .. and 23 grammes is pretty much 20% of the mass ..

That said you do get a lot for your money with the nexus though i am probably going to wait for a 32Gig version.