New mobile phone - recommendations?

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
My 18 month contract is almost up so I will be able to upgrade soon. At the moment I pay around £20 a month, on T Mobile, phone is a HTC Desire S. I only get 60 minutes a month (but don't use for calls much so that tends to be fine), lots of texts and "unlimited" data (limited to 500MB, or GB, or whatever the hell they are).

I don't really want to spend any more as current phone is pretty good, I just wondered whether anybody knew of any good options for an upgrade, or maybe to keep existing phone and go sim only? Basically, if you were in my position what would you do?

Cheers

Mat

Comments

• FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    Call and ask for a PAC code - i.e. pretend that you are leaving and they will give you a great deal :-)
  • BigMat wrote:
    My 18 month contract is almost up so I will be able to upgrade soon. At the moment I pay around £20 a month, on T Mobile, phone is a HTC Desire S. I only get 60 minutes a month (but don't use for calls much so that tends to be fine), lots of texts and "unlimited" data (limited to 500MB, or GB, or whatever the hell they are).

I don't really want to spend any more as current phone is pretty good, I just wondered whether anybody knew of any good options for an upgrade, or maybe to keep existing phone and go sim only? Basically, if you were in my position what would you do?

Cheers

Mat

Go SIM only with giffgaff, for £10 a month you get 250 mins, unlimited texts and 1GB of data and for £2 extra a month you get unlimited data. If you order a SIM via this link you'll get £5 free credit and so will I :Dhttp://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/schlepcycling
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SIM Only, Giffgaff

And if you do decide to get a new phone then get a Windows Phone and let me know what it's like, I'm about ready to trade up/down/away from my iPhone 4S
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Only problem with HTCs I've found is terrible battery life.

Can't comment on the Iphones but the galaxy s3 is outstanding. People get intimidated by the size (seriously,MTFU) but I manage fine and I'm a midget. IT's also very thin and light so it fits easily in my pocket. With hinsight, maybe should have got the note.

Good battery life, good phone quality - (though not as good as a blackberry), quick call connection, outstanding screen, resolution, fast, no lag I've noticed. Samsung standard settup is strong and it's easy to change too.

Criciticms? Glass is so thin it is a bit fragile.
  • dhope
    If you like Android then Google Nexus 4 seems a no brainer. £240 for the spec is a bargain.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I signed up with O2 sim only (was on a long term contract), but they keep giving me a free phone.
    It's only £10.50/month. Free phone was every year, but now two years I think.
    exercise.png
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    BigMat wrote:

Cheers

Mat

Go SIM only with giffgaff, for £10 a month you get 250 mins, unlimited texts and 1GB of data and for £2 extra a month you get unlimited data. If you order a SIM via this link you'll get £5 free credit and so will I :Dhttp://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/schlepcycling

1 gig of data? Last I looked it was unlimited data... Have they started to curb data usage?

I looked at Giff Gaff when I upgraded but when I added up the cost of buying a new phone, spread over 2 years, added to the cost off Giff Gaff it was more expensive, although admittedly you get more free mins. Giff Gaff is good if you're keeping you're existing phone. I don't need more mins, I mainly use my phone for texting and data. I pay £20 per month for 100 mins, unlimited texts and 750MB data and got a free Galaxy s2 (in May)... The Galaxy s3 looks good....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I have a Galaxy S2 that I've been meaning to list on Fleabay, if that's of interest.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    If you like Android then Google Nexus 4 seems a no brainer. £240 for the spec is a bargain.
    This on GiffGaff is probably going to be my next phone
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    This on GiffGaff is probably going to be my next phone
    Yep, I almost wish I didn't think Android was poo
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:
    SIM Only, Giffgaff

And if you do decide to get a new phone then get a Windows Phone and let me know what it's like, I'm about ready to trade up/down/away from my iPhone 4S
    I've been using a Lumia 800 for work, and that will shortly be upgraded to a Lumia 920. So far I'm actually quite pleased with Windows Phone 7.5 as a work phone. Really smooth and slick UI, and the build quality of the Lumias is really good imo. Excellent Exchange & Sharepoint integration too.

I'm not sure if I'd want one as a personal phone though. The Camera on the 920 is the best available on a phone at the moment, but the Microsoft app ecosystem is a little immature and I'm heavily invested in Google Play. The Zune software (analogous to iTunes) is surprisingly good and much easier to use than the Mac offering.

IMHO of course :D
  • Headhuunter
    Just checked their site... Giff Gaff prices have definitely gone up since I looked back in April/May time... This is the disadvantage of not being signed up to a contract, the providor can shift prices whenever they want....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Consider 3 as well as GiffGaff. I tried GiffGaff for a month an had a nightmare of a time with them. Went back to 3, whose Sim only deals are very good, especially if you use a lot of data.
  • On GiffGaff at present, didn't get great reception on 3 in my old flat so this put me off their sim-only deals. You should be able to talk T-mobile down to matching their offer if you sign up for another contract. Will pick up a Nexus 4 when it comes out to replace my brick-like Xperia Play.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    hi, i got the galaxy 3 a few weeks ago and have to say its very very good! hard to pick fault with it to be honest!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Just checked their site... Giff Gaff prices have definitely gone up since I looked back in April/May time... This is the disadvantage of not being signed up to a contract, the providor can shift prices whenever they want....

True, but they had been static for some time, and the proliferation of Smart 'phones has really caused average data usage to rocket. When I joined giffgaff back in June 2010, the £10 goodybag was 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Last month's £10 got me 250 minutes and unlimited texts and data; I'm O.K. with going to £12 to get this deal next month - need more than 1GB, thanks to streaming R6 (or TMS) on my commute.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Got an HTC One S a few months back and I have to say it's been fantastic. Battery life is actually really good - far better than friends i-phone 4s and galaxy s3s. Screen is great and it's super fast. Plus it has all those little Sense touches that make HTCs so much more user friendly than other makes. Awesome phone so far.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    HTC one X on sim only deal here with 3 costing 12.90 a month with 300 minutes 5000texts and unlimited data.

Love the phone awesome screen and great 3g network too with 3.
  • Wrath Rob
    DrLex wrote:

True, but they had been static for some time, and the proliferation of Smart 'phones has really caused average data usage to rocket. When I joined giffgaff back in June 2010, the £10 goodybag was 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Last month's £10 got me 250 minutes and unlimited texts and data; I'm O.K. with going to £12 to get this deal next month - need more than 1GB, thanks to streaming R6 (or TMS) on my commute.
    Erm, hasn't every contract provider just increased their contract prices for existing customers? You're not as safe as you think on a "fixed" contract.
  • The Nexus 4 is a very poor phone considering it's supposed to be Google's flagship. Ok, it's got Jellybean 4.2 but it's not a 4G phone and doesn't have a memory card slot.

The best Android is a 'International S3' at the moment. Just been updated to Jellybean, has a removable battery and SD card (Ummm... Hello! HTC...)

Also it streams video to my Samsung TV... Nice!
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I cant believe nobody has suggested the Galaxy Note 2 yet.

It is the best of the best, not sure what the monthly plans are like though.

Think of when you buy a bike, everybody says get the best you can afford, if you buy a hybrid you will only wish you had bought a road bike etc. etc.

So in that thought process, why compromise, just buy the best phone on the market.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Erm, hasn't every contract provider just increased their contract prices for existing customers? You're not as safe as you think on a "fixed" contract.
    Hasn't ever happened to me, recently or otherwise.
  • Headhuunter
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

No... I signed up to a contract in may and the price is fixed....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mr Sworld wrote:

My HTC desire does this too! (not to your tv obviously)

Not sure 4g is that important, aren't some networks (esp 3) upgrading to 3.5g, so better coverage as it's on the existing network and nearly as fast as 4g.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Sworld wrote:
    The Nexus 4 is a very poor phone considering it's supposed to be Google's flagship. Ok, it's got Jellybean 4.2 but it's not a 4G phone and doesn't have a memory card slot.

The best Android is a 'International S3' at the moment. Just been updated to Jellybean, has a removable battery and SD card (Ummm... Hello! HTC...)

4G also costs an absolute fortune to get a decent data allowance, so not a decent "feature" at all at the moment.

The Galaxy S3 also costs at least £100 more than the Nexus 4 will from the Play store, which is more like 10 months of a sim only plan.
  • No... I signed up to a contract in may and the price is fixed....

Usually in the t&c's there is a clause that allows them to increase the price as long as they inform you in advance.

If this isn't in your t&c's i'd be amazed.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    GiffGaff is good - the requesting PAC code trick to get a discount certainly works ;)

I was getting fleeced on a £20 a month contract (for fook all basically) on Tmobile, and they offered around £10 a month when I wanted to leave.

I prefer GiffGaff though - bit less hassle 'n all that, plus I get better reception in my Flat on O2.

That Nexus 4 looks good. Might consider that as my old Motorola Defy is bust, and my even older HTC Hero is sluggish...I've also been looking at those Chinese copies (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-tablet- ... B0081FCY46)

Someone at works' got one, can't really knock it for the price. It's fast and it's got a huge screen.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    domgears wrote:
    I cant believe nobody has suggested the Galaxy Note 2 yet.

It is the best of the best, not sure what the monthly plans are like though.

Think of when you buy a bike, everybody says get the best you can afford, if you buy a hybrid you will only wish you had bought a road bike etc. etc.

So in that thought process, why compromise, just buy the best phone on the market.

Assuming big (and deep) pockets, this is undoubtedly the correct answer.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

No... I signed up to a contract in may and the price is fixed....
    No, its not, its definitely not. Vodafone customers face a price hike this month. And its not just Vodafone, Three and T-Mobile have imposed similar changes. If you' d have read your contract fully you'd have seen that there is a clause enabling them to change the rates at any time, subject to sufficient notice.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Yeah I had about £1 added to my vodafone contract. Not a lot, but IT'S THE PRINCIPAL OF THE THING

/outrage
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono