Wiggo in hospital after car crash

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yup - I'm really glad he's OK - but, it's correct, he is very eloquent in a down-to-earth way. Maybe, just maybe, people will think that it might have been them that took out a national hero.
    Thing is, this is what I've seen several examples of.

Empathy and compassion, "it could have been me", but for the van driver, not the cyclist who's sitting in hospital! :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

he just saying he is number 1
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • He's probably tired and sore and pissed off.
  • byke68 wrote:
    Let's all blame Wiggo.............................. :)

FTFY
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Heard some talking head on the radio say it was all down to cycle training.

I mean if Wiggo had been just a bit more experienced on a bike this would probably never of happened :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Heard some talking head on the radio say it was all down to cycle training.

I mean if Wiggo had been just a bit more experienced on a bike this would probably never of happened :roll:

Tell me that you made that fist statement up, please...

This has a link to the google maps photo of the filling station.

Pretty good visibility there...
  • I enjoy reading the car vs bikes comments on these stories.. Car drivers that act like they really hate cyclists and whine about road tax and cyclists that dust off the 'its not called road tax' blah blah blah.. Oh.. I said enjoy.. I meant hate, I wish everyone was off the road so I could ride in peace lol

ps Mrs Wiggo certainly doesn't seem to be one to mess with!! ;-)
  • sneill
    sneill Posts: 22
    Anyone see the Metro this morning? I never read the thing, but large print on the front page this morning was "Put Cyclists First". The Wiggo/Sutton accidents although terrible, will hopefully do some good for us on the roads.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    edited November 2012
    Is it me or has BikeRadar lost some of this morning's posts behind the sofa? I am sure it was this thread that MRS and I were commenting on the Chris Boardman Radio 4 interview from last night. :?

No, it is here :oops: :

Thank you BBC (and chrisbl4)!
    Boardman CX Team
  • cookdn wrote:
    Is it me or has BikeRadar lost some of this morning's posts behind the sofa? I am sure it was this thread that MRS and I were commenting on the Chris Boardman Radio 4 interview from last night. :?

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12876938&start=40

moved due to relevance of the topic being discussed I would think.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.

Yes, whilst it is awful and I wouldn't wish something like this to happen to anyone, this is a great opportunity to raise the issue of drivers behaviour around cyclists

Unfortunately it will probably be another opportunity missed. It's an issue that we all face every day and I really hope wiggo speaks out.
    I think this might have more legs than you would imagine - Queen Vicky on the Beeb this morning advocating more respect between all road users, CTC on the main 6 o'clock news, the media in general starting to wake up to the fact that riding on our sh1tty bike-unfriendly roads is not helped by some drivers' attitudes.....etc...etc...

Hope springs eternal that this might be a tipping point of sorts...
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I think this might have more legs than you would imagine - Queen Vicky on the Beeb this morning advocating more respect between all road users, CTC on the main 6 o'clock news, the media in general starting to wake up to the fact that riding on our sh1tty bike-unfriendly roads is not helped by some drivers' attitudes.....etc...etc...

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's a nine-day wonder that'll disappear as soon as something else comes along to replace it. Judging by the comments under various newspaper reports about the two incidents it'll take more than a couple of news items to change most drivers' views on cyclists. It turns out that we're not very popular. At all.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    CiB wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's a nine-day wonder that'll disappear as soon as something else comes along to replace it. Judging by the comments under various newspaper reports about the two incidents it'll take more than a couple of news items to change most drivers' views on cyclists. It turns out that we're not very popular. At all.

I dunno, Cracknell has penned another understandable (given his personal circumstances), but rather misguided article in the Telegraph and the responses to that have been pretty encouraging. Less so on the Wiggins/Sutton articles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Once again, The Daily Mash has the inside track...
  • rjsterry wrote:
    I dunno, Cracknell has penned another understandable (given his personal circumstances), but rather misguided article in the Telegraph and the responses to that have been pretty encouraging. Less so on the Wiggins/Sutton articles.
    Urgh, I can't stand that prick.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    A van driver who knocked Sir Bradley Wiggins off his bike has accepted the offer of a driver awareness course, police have said ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-21442987
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    ToeKnee wrote:
    A van driver who knocked Sir Bradley Wiggins off his bike has accepted the offer of a driver awareness course, police have said ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-21442987
    What exactly do they teach in these courses?

Lesson #1: These are your eyes
    Lesson #2: This is how they work
    Lesson #3: Making use of the information they provide