Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's stuffed his appearance on the wireless on Thursday morning then. How long before the anti-cyclist bile starts to appear in the online newspaper comments? I'll give it half an hour.

Shame. I like Wiggins. Here's to a speedy recovery.
  • Sounds like he might have been luckier than Tony Martin when he got wiped out earlier this year.
  • White van. The natural enemy.

Mind you, a few times recently I've had Occado drivers be dickish and BT Openreach seem to be increasingly mental.
  • CiB
    Woman in an Astra apparently. Make of that what you will.

I blame msmancunia myself. You never know... it could be a nasty piece of synchronicity...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Was he wearing a helmet?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    Obviously not, or he'd be ok.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    He probably jumped a red light too.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited November 2012
    dhope wrote:
    Was he wearing a helmet?

Oh dear. BBC just reported that he is "one of those people who think that bike helmets should be the law..."

Not sure that's quite what his views are. Love to know how a helmet would prevent broken ribs :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.

Yes, whilst it is awful and I wouldn't wish something like this to happen to anyone, this is a great opportunity to raise the issue of drivers behaviour around cyclists

Unfortunately it will probably be another opportunity missed. It's an issue that we all face every day and I really hope wiggo speaks out.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've just listened to the report on BBC Breakfast which had a recording of a person who was nearby who said that when she arrived at the scene Brad was on the pavement. It makes it sound like he was riding on the pavement rather than that he had riding on the road and had been moved out of the road by passers-by.
    It didn't tell any actual facts at all other than that the car driver was fine. Well, thats OK then.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I speak as a motorist and cyclist, but one thing that really annoys me is when cyclists use the road when my hard earned taxes have gone into providing cycle paths. I'm not implying that this is the case with Bradleys collision, I hasten to add.

It begins.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    notsoblue wrote:
    I speak as a motorist and cyclist, but one thing that really annoys me is when cyclists use the road when my hard earned taxes have gone into providing cycle paths. I'm not implying that this is the case with Bradleys collision, I hasten to add.

It begins.
    Yeah, it just knew it wouldn't be long before people who can't use apostrophes properly started posting comments.
  • He's just trying to copy me.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    Was he wearing a helmet?

Funny you should ask, the woman who reads the sports new on BBC breakfast said that Wiggo had been hit by a car and that he had a couple of broken ribs but they didn't have the full information yet, she went on to say that (ironically) Wiggo was someone who believed that cyclists should wear helmets by law, just like drivers wear seatbelts... Yes, love, that would probably have saved him from the broken ribs! Another "well she was wearing a mini skirt so she deserved to be raped" type of comment....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    notsoblue wrote:

It begins.

You chaps are obviously not ticking the "I am a cyclist and thereby exempt from all taxes" box when completing your Tax Return.
    <goes back to rolling in money, Scrooge McDuck-Style>
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    rjsterry wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Was he wearing a helmet?

Oh dear. BBC just reported that he is "one of those people who think that bike helmets should be the law..."

Not sure that's quite what his views are. Love to know how a helmet would prevent broken ribs :roll:

The relevance of the helmet may relate to the comments made by Wiggins following an accident which IIRC resulted in the death of a cyclist on the day Wiggins won the Olympic TT. He had a microphone pointed at him and said that cyclist should all wear helmets (or something). He then later clarified his comments.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited November 2012
    Yup - I'm really glad he's OK - but, it's correct, he is very eloquent in a down-to-earth way. Maybe, just maybe, people will think that it might have been them that took out a national hero.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    God how I loath these threads.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    God how I loath these threads.

Ditto,

I am completely sitting on the fence.

GWS Wiggo.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    rjsterry wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Was he wearing a helmet?

The relevance of the helmet may relate to the comments made by Wiggins following an accident which IIRC resulted in the death of a cyclist on the day Wiggins won the Olympic TT. He had a microphone pointed at him and said that cyclist should all wear helmets (or something). He then later clarified his comments.

I thought that might be it - nuance and detail are not really BBC Breakfast's strong suits. More info here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/07/bradley-wiggins-hospital-accident-injuries
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Does he pay road tax?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • This insurance claim is going to be awesome.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    That'll teach him for going mtbíng. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/no-arrests-to-be-made-after-bradley-wiggins-breaks-ribs-in-crash-with-car-while-training-8296809.html

Police confirmed Wiggins had suffered broken ribs and a wrist injury and said the woman driver would be spoken to by officers later today, but that “no arrests are going to be made”.

So, that's that!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    CiB wrote:
    Woman in an Astra apparently. Make of that what you will.

I blame msmancunia myself. You never know... it could be a nasty piece of synchronicity...

How very dare you! I'll have you know I was in a bar somewhere in Manchester when that happened. That Pinot G's not going to drink itself, after all...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CiB
    That's a good excuse. Used it myself IIRC - sorry 'lud. I was too drunk to walk so I drove instead.

:)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Let's all blame Wiggle.............................. :)
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I see Shane Sutton is at at now; no mention of anyone else invloved.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

• This collision should act as a reminder to all drivers that we need to be more vigilant particularly when pulling out of entrances and turning at junctions.

With autumnal weather and darker evenings it is essential to check and double check for cyclists, pedestrians and indeed other road users before pulling out.

We need to break down the 'two tribe' mentality on the roads and co-exist in harmony.

– AA president Edmund King

A quote wrecked by one little addition...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter