Those Who Use PEDs Are Not Just Cheats...

2»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I think suggesting that I'm a slavery, rape and nazi sympathiser is a good indication of how out of proportion people are about all this. And that was my point.

A little balance is required.

Brilliant.

Beyond parody (not even a Bunk gif would suffice here)...
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I think suggesting that I'm a slavery, rape and nazi sympathiser is a good indication of how out of proportion people are about all this. And that was my point.

A little balance is required.

Brilliant.

Beyond parody (not even a Bunk gif would suffice here)...

thanks old chap.

EPO?
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    It's a profession, so it's basically a white collar crime.

If I cheat heavily enough in my area of work I can face fines and even jail time.

No different for sports people. The results of the races maybe seem trivial, but it's cheating in a professional context for money.

Spot on

Same should apply to race fixing
    Or holding onto the team car when not permitted, or welcomed by fellow competitors...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    TONY.M wrote:
    It's a profession, so it's basically a white collar crime.

If I cheat heavily enough in my area of work I can face fines and even jail time.

No different for sports people. The results of the races maybe seem trivial, but it's cheating in a professional context for money.

Spot on

Same should apply to race fixing
    Or holding onto the team car when not permitted, or welcomed by fellow competitors...

Riders can and do get thrown off a race for holding on, if the commissaires see fit. I think that covers off holding onto team cars.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Fraud isn't always a matter for the criminal law. It's also a civil law matter...

The main argument is that riders are cheating their way to 1) wages 2) prize money 3) endorsements. It's a civil matter between two private parties. The civil system can deal with it adequately through damages and/or other remedies.
  • Vino'sGhost
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Fraud isn't always a matter for the criminal law. It's also a civil law matter...

The main argument is that riders are cheating their way to 1) wages 2) prize money 3) endorsements. It's a civil matter between two private parties. The civil system can deal with it adequately through damages and/or other remedies.

Very true.
  • EKIMIKE
    It's kind of funny to see people using all these terms very loosely. Breach of contract, fraud, perjury, crime.

These all have very specific legal meanings. They are different.

To demonstrate what i was saying above about it being a civil matter...
    The athlete has deceived his/her Team and sponsor(s) by presenting themselves as clean riders when that is not the case.

This might end up as an action for misrepresentation in contract or as an action in the tort of deceit. One or the other. Not both. The burden of proof is on the claimant in both instances. Remedies in contract would be rescission and/or damages whilst in tort it would be damages.

(please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm only a student and i'm aware there may be practising legal pro's on here)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    (please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm only a student and i'm aware there may be practising legal pro's on here)

This is the internet. On no account admit that you might not be correct. If you type in capitals you are even more correct.
  • EKIMIKE
    This is the internet. On no account admit that you might not be correct. If you type in capitals you are even more correct.

TRUE, BUT I AM NOT A TOTAL BELLEND :wink::lol:

(and a good lawyer always gets their disclaimer in)
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Now that I have read this thread I realise that the title of it was not:
    "Those Who Use PEDals And Not Just Cleats..."
    Can I have two minutes 45 seconds of my life back please?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Now that I have read this thread I realise that the title of it was not:
    "Those Who Use PEDals And Not Just Cleats..."
    Can I have two minutes 45 seconds of my life back please?

No, apparently.

I scoured the "Defamatory posts - some guidelines" thread several times assuming it offered tips on slagging people off...
  • Vino'sGhost
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    It's kind of funny to see people using all these terms very loosely. Breach of contract, fraud, perjury, crime.

These all have very specific legal meanings. They are different.

To demonstrate what i was saying above about it being a civil matter...
    The athlete has deceived his/her Team and sponsor(s) by presenting themselves as clean riders when that is not the case.

This might end up as an action for misrepresentation in contract or as an action in the tort of deceit. One or the other. Not both. The burden of proof is on the claimant in both instances. Remedies in contract would be rescission and/or damages whilst in tort it would be damages.

Largely correct, but it depends on contract type.
    (Practicing bar room lawyer)