Borisbikers - are they 'cyclists'?

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...simply because of what they have between their legs...
    Its all about the genitalia with you.
    :wink:

So when you snogging RC?
    The day after the video of your threesome with Anne Widdicombe and Harriet Harman is released on youtube when you announce your candidacy for the BNP with Nick Griffin doing the filming.
    widdecombe1.jpg

jowellDM2910_468x630.jpg
    311233_356500931111038_2006543008_n.jpg

I think I'm gunna pewk....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Commuter Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.

FTFY
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Commuter Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.

FTFY

Well yes, but this was just an example, if you might consider mentioning the fact that someone rode a bike as a way of identifying them whether they were known to ride a bike for their job, as a way of getting to work, as their hobby or whatever, then to my mind they are a Cyclist.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I need to follow up on my OP here because I feel rather vindicated in asking the question in the first place. I got chatting to a traffic pursuit officer over the weekend (don't ask) - I mean one of the proper jobbers, not a panda car type. It transpires that THEY themselves DO differentiate between what they call 'CYCLISTS', and 'BIKERS', kin their Roadcraft (advanced police driving) training. A Cyclist is more likely to know what they're doing, know how to deal with traffic and will more likely react to blue lights properly. However, 'BIKER', ie, a Borisbiker or a fella on jeans on a ropey MTB, is much more likely to be all over the place and is assumed, in a blues & twos situation, to be a liability and therefore gets special attention when passing.

So there we are. it's official.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    If we're talking about the sort of erratic behavior that winds up other road users (eg the RLJing in the OP), then it matters not a jot what we think.
    What matter is whether the people who get wound up by cyclists see them as cyclists.

I suspect many of them, do.

Cheers,
    W.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A risk assessment based on what they see....how is that relevant, it's a bit like if they see an old women in a Micra wobbling up the middle do they give it more room than say a BMW that pulls over decisevely to the kerb while indicating left....

You seek to defend the indefensable, and by resurrecting a long dead thread will just open yourself to more ridicule.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Think about how much less damage someone wobbling about on a boris bike can do than the same person, with the same road awareness could do while driving a car. ;)
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I did my commute on a Boris Bike last night. Was shit but also fun watching nodders desperately trying to hold my wheel...